Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - my BIOS says the same as yours. I don't know much about the ME update process, and I think I'll wait until some of the experts post some advice somewhere on Tonymac..
There is an article on Ars Technica dated 19 January:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...in-quest-to-get-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/

Titled:
Meltdown and Spectre: Good news for AMD users, (more) bad news for Intel
In part it says:
"The bad news: Intel has previously warned that the microcode update it issued to provide some processor-based mitigation for some kinds of Spectre attack was causing machines with Haswell and Broadwell processors to reboot. It turns out that the problems are more widespread than previously reported: the chip company is now saying that Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge, Skylake, and Kaby Lake systems are affected, too."

It advises:
"What this means is that if you're lucky enough to have a system that is still being supported with firmware updates from its manufacturer ... you probably shouldn't install the firmware anyway."

Last edited:
I followed the steps for an HFS install in the Update directly to High Sierra guide exactly. When I did the Boot macOS install step, it got to the Apple icon and the progress bar moved about 10mm and it restarted. I tried doing a verbose boot, but it restarts so fast that I can't see the detail.
I also tried running the downloaded 10.13.3 update directly, with the same result.

Any suggestions about the most likely cause?

I followed the steps for an HFS install in the Update directly to High Sierra guide exactly. When I did the Boot macOS install step, it got to the Apple icon and the progress bar moved about 10mm and it restarted. I tried doing a verbose boot, but it restarts so fast that I can't see the detail.
I also tried running the downloaded 10.13.3 update directly, with the same result.

Any suggestions about the most likely cause?

I have no idea. I never tried the HFS install.

I have no idea. I never tried the HFS install.
OK, I have a Clover boot menu item for the aborted "Boot macOS Instal from ...". How can I get rid of that?

EDIT: found the answer here #4

Last edited:
Pastry chef- read through the build details for your friends build. I too am now convinced of the Noctua fans! Fan noise is a giant pain to me.

Got a recommendation for a good, small, quiet case?

Pastry chef- read through the build details for your friends build. I too am now convinced of the Noctua fans! Fan noise is a giant pain to me.

Got a recommendation for a good, small, quiet case?

Are you using the Noctuas already? They really are very high quality.

I use a Silverstone KL-06. It's pretty small and is still able to accomodate a large Noctua heatsink.

I recently did a build for a friend using the Cerberus case. This one is very small and very solid.

Are you using the Noctuas already? They really are very high quality.

I use a Silverstone KL-06. It's pretty small and is still able to accomodate a large Noctua heatsink.

I recently did a build for a friend using the Cerberus case. This one is very small and very solid.

Having very weird intermittent bootup latencies and latencies once on Desktop. I don't know if its starts POST boot or if its Clover/MacOS related? I am almost ready to say its latencies while in the bios so its must have something to do with the hardware? I have the Corsair Dominator 64Gb 2133 ram and Kaby Lake i7-7700K. I might just reset the CMOS and edit the Bios settings again. I am running Clover 4392 with AptioMemFix by Vit.

Do you haveRC6 enabled under Graphics?

Last edited:
Having very weird intermittent bootup latencies and latencies once on Desktop. I don't know if its starts POST boot or if its Clover/MacOS related? I am almost ready to say its latencies while in the bios so its must have something to do with the hardware? I have the Corsair Dominator 64Gb 2133 ram and Kaby Lake i7-7700K. I might just reset the CMOS and edit the Bios settings again. I am running Clover 4392 with AptioMemFix by Vit.

Do you haveRC6 enabled under Graphics?

I no longer have my Kaby Lake system. I upgraded to Coffee Lake. I have also updated to Clover r.4392 and AptioMemoryFix.efi. I haven't experienced any latency during boot.

Yes, I have RC6 enabled.

I no longer have my Kaby Lake system. I upgraded to Coffee Lake. I have also updated to Clover r.4392 and AptioMemoryFix.efi. I haven't experienced any latency during boot.

Yes, I have RC6 enabled.

Edited:

Its something with the hardware of the MB. I'll try a different graphics card in case its that or maybe the PCIe slot is bad? I'll also try less memory and try different modules.

You don't have the Maximus VIII with i7-7700k Kaby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back