Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again,

So the AI one click to overclock is indeed amazing :D Running at 4,7 now and the entire system actually seems to be more stable than before. I am however generating quite some heat and the GPU fan goes on and off like this:
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 21.29.47.png

Is this normal for a CPU fan? Sometimes it will be more of a straight line but most of time it goes up and down like so. Also I have the idea that it powers on quite late. These temperatures are during rendering a 90 minute 5k Red RAW timeline. I have the Noctua cooler with just one fan so I could buy another and stick it on there but I wonder whether that'll do much, any advice?

Those temperatures are very high. What kind of thermal compound are you using? I have been experimenting with a few different kinds of thermal compounds and they definitely make a very noticeable difference.

I have not paid too much attention to the GPU fan but I imagine excessive heat from the CPU can cause it to heat up the GPU and that, in turn, would cause the GPU fan to spin up.

Hi pastrychef,

I only had the mouse connected (rear USB2 port) and the problem remains.
XDCI means "Hi speed USB", means USB3. I haven´t connected any USB3 devices at all. Even the Broadcom Wifi/BT card connects with an internal USB2 connector. The only USB3 connection, and it´s an internal one, is the Laser Hive front panel for my G5 mod. but there is no device attached. Could this still be a problem?
I mean, on the front panel is the power button and it´s always active. Stork uses the same mobo and (as far as I read his posts) he never had any sleep/wake issues.

My SIMBIOS is 3.1, but I have a Skylake CPU. Under 14.2 I had the same issues, so I changed it. Do you think, 17.1 is an option, or (because everything else works fine now) I´ll run into additional problems I´m not aware of by now?

best
Michael

From your outputs, it seemed quite evident that USB is causing your sleep problems. I don't know what the Laser Hive is or does. Until you figure out what is causing the XDCI wake, you will continue to have problems.

The MacPro3,1 system definition is not compatible with Sierra so I stopped using that. I was never able to get Continuity/Handoff working with iMac17,1, so I gave up trying to use it. The iMac14,2 system definition has been working perfectly for me and I've stuck with it. But I don't think changing system definition will change your XDCI situation.

From your outputs, it seemed quite evident that USB is causing your sleep problems. I don't know what the Laser Hive is or does. Until you figure out what is causing the XDCI wake, you will continue to have problems.

The MacPro3,1 system definition is not compatible with Sierra so I stopped using that. I was never able to get Continuity/Handoff working with iMac17,1, so I gave up trying to use it. The iMac14,2 system definition has been working perfectly for me and I've stuck with it. But I don't think changing system definition will change your XDCI situation.
Hi Pastrychef,
thanks a lot for your post. The Laser Hive is a G5 casemodding thing, to let you build an ATX board into an old G5 case.
With the SMBIOS thing... you are absolutely right. I´m coming from 14.2 to 3.1 and I still have the sleep/wake thing.
Even unplug the internal Broadcom USB cable does`t work. I´m thinking...maybe the ASUS bios needs a different setting in my case. I used the one Stork recommended, but no luck this time. I did´t touch the DSDT so far, but maybe my problem is hidden in there. But to be honest, I think I´m not brave enough to go THAT route....
hmmm....

The only thing I can think of is to double check in bios that your have XHCI hand off enabled.

Those temperatures are very high. What kind of thermal compound are you using? I have been experimenting with a few different kinds of thermal compounds and they definitely make a very noticeable difference.

I have not paid too much attention to the GPU fan but I imagine excessive heat from the CPU can cause it to heat up the GPU and that, in turn, would cause the GPU fan to spin up.

I used the compound that came with the Noctua NH-D15S cooler, I believe its Noctua's NT-H1 compound. I'll try to re-apply the compound and check if it makes any difference somewhere next week. I'm also ordering another fan to stick on the cooler. Hope that'll do the trick, otherwise its probably best to remove the overclock

I delidded my CPU and used Gelid GC Extreme at first. This yielded less than desirable results and I overcame my fears of CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra and tried it... Now my temps are:

Idle:
Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 4.31.38 PM.png

Full load (converting video in Handbrake):
Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 4.32.59 PM.png

With Gelid GC Extreme, my temps were up to 40F higher. The CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra is amazing. By the way, temps in screenshot are in Fahrenheit and I'm currently at 4.8GHz.

Hi I agree that maybe mikampe' s sleep trouble can be USB related, I suspect the same in my build. But I have unplugged everything and no luck. The "laser Hive front panel" its just a Lian-Li front I/O unit that David adapted to his mod kit's, so its a normal (good quality, by the way) USB 3 header. I'm using one also and I'm not blaming the sleep on it . Maybe instead of unpluging devices we should disable the ports to get closer to the 15 port count. One thing that troubles me its that when i did managed to get sleep I didn't touch at all at USB neither via hardware nor software. Im trying to replicate what I did, and I'm sure it was via BIOS and Clover. I did by the way installed a security update for el Capitan... maybe something to broke then...

I had sleep/wake working fine even when i was using the 15 port limit patch. I've also gone through every macOS update since putting this system together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back