Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a clone with CCC to an external SSD (850 EVO via USB external enclosure). I booted into this backup and I changed system definitions to the backup with Clover Config.. I am pretty sure that I mounted the correct backup EFI folder.. Still the system didn't boot anymore and the SMBIOS was also changed for the original install.. Does this make sense?

I made a clone with CCC to an external SSD (850 EVO via USB external enclosure). I booted into this backup and I changed system definitions to the backup with Clover Config.. I am pretty sure that I mounted the correct backup EFI folder.. Still the system didn't boot anymore and the SMBIOS was also changed for the original install.. Does this make sense?

When you clone your system drive, you also need to copy the EFI folder....

1. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the system drive.
2. Mount the EFI partition of the source drive.
3. Mount the EFI partition of the destination drive.
4. Copy the entire EFI folder from source drive to destination drive.

Why are you trying to change system definition?

Please attach your EFI folder. Let me see if I can fix it for you.

When you clone your system drive, you also need to copy the EFI folder....

1. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the system drive.
2. Mount the EFI partition of the source drive.
3. Mount the EFI partition of the destination drive.
4. Copy the entire EFI folder from source drive to destination drive.

Why are you trying to change system definition?

Please attach your EFI folder. Let me see if I can fix it for you.
Thanks, I figured it out :) I tried to change system definition just to try some things, to see what's happening. This was actually a good test case to test the external backup drive. And I don't want to share my EFI because I'm a little bit ashamed of how it would look like to you - too noob haha. Am still working on the USB ports.. The rest of the system is just running 'OOB'.

Is it possible to remove these boot messages?

Attachments

• 2018-04-23 11.42.58.jpg
    2018-04-23 11.42.58.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 73
Is it possible to remove these boot messages?

Yes, it's possible. Just search around for "hide apfs boot message". I've never bothered to apply the hack personally.

Yes, it's possible. Just search around for "hide apfs boot message". I've never bothered to apply the hack personally.
Thnx. It worked. Still a little disappointed about start-up times with APFS on 960 EVO NVMe. HFS on 850 EVO SSD was a lot faster. But in general pretty happy with this build. :)

Thnx. It worked. Still a little disappointed about start-up times with APFS on 960 EVO NVMe. HFS on 850 EVO SSD was a lot faster. But in general pretty happy with this build. :)

Some NVMe SSDs perform better with Trim disabled.

Hey pastrychef, I've been trying some time now but I'm not able to make my system 'golden'. I tried to fix my USB ports, but I'm not sure if I succeeded or not :crazy: The first problem I encountered was after sleep/wake my USB ports were not working anymore. Internal and external.

In my attempt to fix this I lost sleep, completely. Right after sleep the system is waking up again. That's my latest problem..

Can you please help me out here? I've been reading and reading and I'm not sure what to do anymore, what old information is and not relevant, what info is good, etc. I attached Clover and Ioreg. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IOREG.ioreg
    5.6 MB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back