Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1,1 and 3,1 were in no way silent but I place blame on the heat generated from the CPUs and RAM... But even so, they were never offensively loud...

My old Mac Pro 5,1 was extremely quiet unless the CPUs were pushed hard and/or 130W CPUs were installed. The way they had the CPU section isolated with its own intake and exhaust fans worked very well.

My guess is that modding this case for use with an mATX motherboard, you would lose that effect. Also, since the Mac Pros were quite large, there's lots of room and it may be harder to channel the airflow from the fans to CPU heatsink. Having a fan mounted on the heatsink should help this.

Well the problem with the noise on the "real" Mac Pros where the enormous delta fans... I tried to keep the airflow design on my mod, and I'm using an AIO watercooler, so no heatsinks. My mistake maybe are the industrial Nocutas 2000 rpm fans! anyway, the case its not designed for quiet operation, as it has no insulation an front and back panels are totally opened (honeycomb pattern)

I think the Mac Pro case is more resistant to vibrations since Apple used very thick aluminum. When compared to a Mac Pro, the case that I'm currently using is like a tin can. That being said, my system is still very quiet even though my CPU is fairly highly overclocked.

Yes, I think the industrial Noctuas are noisier than the consumer Noctuas. Also, from what I've read, water cooling is not necessarily quieter than air cooling.

Hi pastrychef, just reporting back that I tryed to fix my sleep by removing my Broadcom card and didn't work. I stumbled upon this thread, and following Yoga's suggestions I enabled ERP on BIOS and FixShutDown in Clover Configurator and now my sleep works perfect! Now I have a fully functional build. Only Issue is that I still haven't been able to get reads from my fans neither on HWmonitor nor iStats, but apparently its an issue with our mobo and needs s customs DSDT to make that work.
I really enjoy your thread , congratulations on such a good build, and thanks for your help.
Hi Jiojimbo, hi pastrychef,
I too have some problems with the sleep/wake on my build (Stork build, Asus Maximus viii hero, i7, El Captain), and I also tried the "Yoga" ERP Bios trick but it didn't work for me. Even to pull out Firewire and Broadcom cards helped with the issue. But I never had any problems with iStats reading. So, maybe we should step by step compere our builds/procedure, to figure out possible solutions.

I'm a little scared that my sleep/wake issue runs into further problems (I'm not aware of now) in the end (kernel panics etc.). Until now everything else works except the sleep/wake thing...

*confused :crazy:
Michael

If you are having problems putting the computer to sleep, try checking pmset in Terminal to see if it's software related.

Hi Mikape, Pastrychef is right, you can type pmset -g or pmset -g assertions to get an idea of whats messing with your sleep. In my case I have not a definitive solution. After the "Yoga Trick" I enjoyed normal sleep for some days, but yesterday I tryed again to get hw sensors to work, reinstalling different build versions and now my sleep is broken again. Another thing I've done was to change some fan settings in fanXpert suite in windows wich result on altered XMP settings on BIOS , so I'm back to square one again. As far as I can say my sleep problem has to do with a) some oscure BIOS setting, b) HW sensors c) USB devices (I'm using multibeast patch for 15 usb port limit, not pastrychefs/ ammludler solution). I'll be more than willing to compare build and p.list with however has a working sleep to figure out the cause. Last thing: MAKE A BACKUP of your build settings and p.list/clover configuration before playing with kext, this way you can easy recover from panic .

How is your range for your wifi adapter?
BCM94360CD Wifi/Bluetooth card w/ PCI-e adaptor
I have an extender about half way across the house and still can't even connect to the extender with that card. Any recommendations for a 3 plug antenna for the card? My computer is about 6 feet away from the extender and through 2 feet of walls which on the DW1515 has no problems connecting to the extender. Would love to stick on the BCM94360 card compared to the DW1515 due to the bluetooth capabilities as well.

Sorry. My computer is situated quite close to my router and I've never seen anything except full bars for wifi...

Hi Mikape, Pastrychef is right, you can type pmset -g or pmset -g assertions to get an idea of whats messing with your sleep. In my case I have not a definitive solution. After the "Yoga Trick" I enjoyed normal sleep for some days, but yesterday I tryed again to get hw sensors to work, reinstalling different build versions and now my sleep is broken again. Another thing I've done was to change some fan settings in fanXpert suite in windows wich result on altered XMP settings on BIOS , so I'm back to square one again. As far as I can say my sleep problem has to do with a) some oscure BIOS setting, b) HW sensors c) USB devices (I'm using multibeast patch for 15 usb port limit, not pastrychefs/ ammludler solution). I'll be more than willing to compare build and p.list with however has a working sleep to figure out the cause. Last thing: MAKE A BACKUP of your build settings and p.list/clover configuration before playing with kext, this way you can easy recover from panic .
Hi Jiojimbo, hi Pastrychef,

thank you for your post. I looked into it and the Terminal listed this:
Assertion status system-wide:

BackgroundTask 0

ApplePushServiceTask 0

UserIsActive 0

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0

PreventSystemSleep 0

ExternalMedia 0

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0

NetworkClientActive 0

Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB

id=502 level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/70 01:00 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14900000 owner=IOUSBHostDevice

id=503 level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/70 01:00 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14910000 owner=Keyboard Hub

id=504 level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/70 01:00 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14c00000 owner=Bluetooth USB Host Controller

id=505 level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/70 01:00 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14911000 owner=Apple Optical USB Mouse

Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

and this:
Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standby 1

Sleep On Power Button 1

womp 0

autorestart 0

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 0

sleep 10

hibernatemode 0

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 10

standbydelay 10800

I also tried a forced sleep (does´t work) and opened the console app right away. System.log and then "wake reason":

Dec 4 15:28:55 kernel[0]: Wake reason: XDCI

Dec 4 15:29:11 kernel[0]: full wake request (reason 1) 10406 ms

Do you know what this means?

Thanks again for your help...

I think it may have something to do with USB and/or USB Bluetooth adaptor. Try disconnecting as many USB devices as possible (including keyboard) and try putting computer to sleep.

I think it may have something to do with USB and/or USB Bluetooth adaptor. Try disconnecting as many USB devices as possible (including keyboard) and try putting computer to sleep.
Hi pastry chef,

thanks for your post. Will try it. Now only the mouse and keyboard are attached. Next step... My Broadcom wifi/bluetooth card. If this will be the case.... Then I´m in real trouble...
best
M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back