Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If it would be something physical, then it would be like that from the beginning, and as I said it used to work just fine. Also, other non-audio bt devices would've had issues and they don't. I really think it's something about divers or settings or the OS...

I had a set up like that from OSX wifi it worked fine for a while but then it started acting strange. I pulled the card out and part of the top layer had melted off to expose copper. Physical issues can come on like a heart attack don't ever believe that it can't be physical because it was not from the beginning. Did one of your antenna wires come loose so its only making partial connection try, disconnecting the wire from the card and then put it back on. Check your wires to make sure they are not melted.

if you really feel that it is software you can do is reinstall your OS over your OS.

@pastrychef, 10.14.5 has been released.

Done. All looking good. No changes needed in EFI. I didn't even bother to make a backup before launching the update.

Two restarts and approx 13 minutes to update.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 3.02.12 PM.png

I did a quick comparison of stock Vega power table vs my personalized profile using VGTab:

Stock:
Fan hovered between 41-48% (~2000-2500rpm). Usually on the lower side of those numbers.
GPU temp topped out at 75C.
Total system power draw from the wall was ~310-330W.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 3.13.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-13 at 4.03.17 PM.png

Personalized:
Fan hovered between 63-66% (~3000-3300). Usually on the upper end of these numbers.
GPU temp topped out at 70C.
Total system power draw from the wall was ~410-420W.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 3.21.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-13 at 4.06.28 PM.png

Personalized power table has GPU clock at 1590MHz @ 1010mV and HBM @ 920MHz.
Both results were first run. Didn't bother to do multiple runs.

Last edited:
big trick ... amd has "done" it this time ... their luck as the nvidia came out of the grace of apple

AMD has nothing to do with the VII not working on Mac OS, that is totally Apple's deal. In fact, it is the reason Nvidia does not work anymore. Apple controls Apple's drivers not AMD, and Nvidia did not want to let Apple control the drivers. In addition, when did apple say they were going to provide support for said card, AMD released that card for gaming on Windows.

I did a quick comparison of stock Vega power table vs my personalized profile using VGTab:

Stock:
Fan hovered between 41-48% (~2000-2500rpm). Usually on the lower side of those numbers.
GPU temp topped out at 75C.

Personalized:
Fan hovered between 63-66% (~3000-3300). Usually on the upper end of these numbers.
GPU temp topped out at 70C.

Personalized power table has GPU clock at 1590MHz @ 1010mV and HBM @ 920MHz.
Both results were first run. Didn't bother to do multiple runs.

Is stock with no VGtab?

AMD has nothing to do with the VII not working on Mac OS, that is totally apples deal. In fact it is the reason Nvidia does not work anymore. Apple controls Apples drivers not AMD and Nvidia did not want to let Apple control the drivers. In addition when did apple say they were going to provide support for said card? AMD released that card for gaming on windows.

On this thread, who mentioned the VII?

@pastrychef can i ask u to do a OpenCL test in geekbench ? Mine dropped from 170k to 150k. (with no VGTab)

Back