Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Donation made.

Interesting tidbit, just FWIW. I ran Cinebench (1.5 and 2.0) to see if anything had changed, and discovered that, regardless of config.plist in use, if I had iGPU enabled in the BIOS, the render image got about 3 frames in, and hard crashed the machine.

If I disable the iGPU, (the BIOS calls it "iGPU Multi-Monitor"_ the rendering proceeds normally.

Donation made.

Interesting tidbit, just FWIW. I ran Cinebench (1.5 and 2.0) to see if anything had changed, and discovered that, regardless of config.plist in use, if I had iGPU enabled in the BIOS, the render image got about 3 frames in, and hard crashed the machine.

If I disable the iGPU, (the BIOS calls it "iGPU Multi-Monitor"_ the rendering proceeds normally.

Are you using iMacPro1,1 system definition?

No, not yet. I was about to update msg 6402 however. I bumped the RAM for the iGPU up to 128 (from 64) and both Cinebenches ran fine.

To make the switch to iMacPro1,1, I assume I'd have to run boot from my install USB drive and re-run Multibeast? I'm quite comfortable editing the config.plist "by hand" so if there's some way to do that instead, I'd prefer it. (This is only my second build, so I'm weak on what's actually needed ... )

No, not yet. I was about to update msg 6402 however. I bumped the RAM for the iGPU up to 128 (from 64) and both Cinebenches ran fine.

To make the switch to iMacPro1,1, I assume I'd have to run boot from my install USB drive and re-run Multibeast? I'm quite comfortable editing the config.plist "by hand" so if there's some way to do that instead, I'd prefer it. (This is only my second build, so I'm weak on what's actually needed ... )

Did increasing RAM allocation to IGPU have any affect on VDA support?

To change to iMacPro1,1:
  1. Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator.
  2. Click on "SMBIOS" on the left pane of the window.
  3. Then click on the little button along the right edge of the window and select iMacPro1,1.

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 4.09.33 PM.png

curiouser and curiouser... I tried the iMacPro1,1, both with and without iGPU enabled, and -still- got the VDA disabled. I was sure that was going to cure it.
:(
could it have anything to do with my -no_compat_check?

I don't think it would... Since you are not using iMac19,1 system definition, "-no_compat_check" isn't necessary and you can remove it. It was just needed to allow macOS 10.14.4 (18E226) to work with iMac19,1.

OK... thanks. I think I should just wait for 10.14.5 before I pursue this further. Moving to iMacPro1,1 breaks the licenses on a lot of my software, and some of them will cost $$$ to fix. So It makes sense to me to wait a few days; get 10.14.5 installed; remove the no-compat check and start again. I'm happy to keep trying, but at this point it looks like I'm wasting everyone's time.

Based on the idea that if you can't find it where you're looking, you're looking in the wrong place, meanwhile, I'll go read the BIOS pdf, and see if I missed something. Maybe try flipping the little bios switch on the gfx card...

Suggestions welcome, but I can easily let this rest for a while too.

Thanks!

OK... thanks. I think I should just wait for 10.14.5 before I pursue this further. Moving to iMacPro1,1 breaks the licenses on a lot of my software, and some of them will cost $$$ to fix. So It makes sense to me to wait a few days; get 10.14.5 installed; remove the no-compat check and start again. I'm happy to keep trying, but at this point it looks like I'm wasting everyone's time.

Based on the idea that if you can't find it where you're looking, you're looking in the wrong place, meanwhile, I'll go read the BIOS pdf, and see if I missed something. Maybe try flipping the little bios switch on the gfx card...

Suggestions welcome, but I can easily let this rest for a while too.

Thanks!

Okay. Please report back after the 10.14.5 release.

@pastrychef I've suddenly started having bluetooth audio (other bluetooth devices, like magic trackpad seem to work just fine) issues, where the audio played via bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speaker stutters terribly. Sometimes it starts right after rebooting, sometimes it's fine for few hours and starts after some time, but once it starts it stays this way.

I've tested both audio devices with iphone in the same place where the hackintosh stays and both work flawlessly, so it's not the devices nor 'busy' radio spectrum.

Any ideas what could cause that?

Back