Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I made exactly the same build, MB with last bios from Asus, except for GPU, I went with Radeon RX 580 pulse and I was facing random freezes/crashes on HighSierra 10.13.6,
I can only move the mouse, cannot open or restart OS from mouse or keyboard, I had to force shutdown.
On Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ there was several logs with GPU Reset related to AMDRadeonX4000_AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator (Attached),
I tried CSM on/off, but it did not work, finally I remove WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext, installed and Old Radeon 7950, enable Radeondinit and now everything runs fine. I tried 2 RX 580, pulse and nitro, both cause same bug.
Anyone can help me with this bug ?

Regards

The RX 580 should work well with High Sierra and the Sapphire models have been reported to work great as well. There are others who have used RX 580 with this motherboard too. I don't know why it's causing random crashes for you.

I made exactly the same build, MB with last bios from Asus, except for GPU, I went with Radeon RX 580 pulse and I was facing random freezes/crashes on HighSierra 10.13.6,
I can only move the mouse, cannot open or restart OS from mouse or keyboard, I had to force shutdown.
On Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ there was several logs with GPU Reset related to AMDRadeonX4000_AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator (Attached),
I tried CSM on/off, but it did not work, finally I remove WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext, installed and Old Radeon 7950, enable Radeondinit and now everything runs fine. I tried 2 RX 580, pulse and nitro, both cause same bug.
Anyone can help me with this bug ?

Regards

I was thinking... You can try running your RX 580 without WhateverGreen. Leave Lilu installed because without it, you will not have audio.

I was thinking... You can try running your RX 580 without WhateverGreen. Leave Lilu installed because without it, you will not have audio.
audio and video working without any kext...they are os x supported...
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 08.25.16.png

this without any kext ...@ 30 C

Last edited:

I will test without WhateverGreen and let you know, for audio I use USB.

I don't know what is causing your sleep issues and I don't know what else to try. All I can tell you is that sleep/wake is working on my end with the same EFI. Maybe check some of the software you have installed...

Edit:
Maybe try creating a new account. Log in to new account and see if sleep/wake is working. If it does, it has to be some software you installed on your main account.
Well this is odd...When I boot from my other Hack's boot drive (Z370M-iTX/ac), the same screwed up sleep occurs, even though the iTX drive puts the iTX into proper sleep. So, I have to conclude that something's amiss in the Strix.

I even updated the bios the other day with no resulting change in sleep. There are several choices under power management that I don't know what to do with...
Intel SpeedStep
Turbo mode
CPU C states
CFG Lock
Intel Speed Shift technology

How should these be set? What about ErP? Any other bios suggestions?

Thanks.

Well this is odd...When I boot from my other Hack's boot drive (Z370M-iTX/ac), the same screwed up sleep occurs, even though the iTX drive puts the iTX into proper sleep. So, I have to conclude that something's amiss in the Strix.

I even updated the bios the other day with no resulting change in sleep. There are several choices under power management that I don't know what to do with...
Intel SpeedStep
Turbo mode
CPU C states
CFG Lock
Intel Speed Shift technology

How should these be set? What about ErP? Any other bios suggestions?

Thanks.

I never messed with any of those settings. I always left those at default.

I once had a defective PCI-e Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card that prevented sleep on my Z170 build...

with a ssdt ...
what I was saying a while ago ... talking only to the sound on the video card, either hdmi or dp

Ah. That means you do NOT have motherboard audio.

Just having HDMI/DisplayPort audio is a little different.

I never messed with any of those settings. I always left those at default.

I once had a defective PCI-e Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card that prevented sleep on my Z170 build...

Since the Strix boot drive works fine in my iTX and my iTX drive works fine in my Strix, it's only rational that there is something wrong with the Strix. Especially since one day sleep worked and the next day it didn't.

I replaced the Bluetooth/WIFI chip with one that fit in the same location. Since iMessage works, I really don't want to fool with the chip. But I can't think what else it could be.
Is there a utility that can check the motherboard?
thx

Back