Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've recently upgraded my CPU (from a i5-8600k to i9-9900k), RAM (16gb to 32gb), and GPU (Rx 570 to RX 5700xt)
And I've been getting random freezes at last once a day for the past couple of weeks since I have installed the components. When I'm watching simple youtube videos or twitch streams my computer would lock up after a couple of hours of being on. The weird thing is, the sounds would keep playing, but the mouse would still move except, I can't do anything at all. I would have to hard reset to fix the issue. I have no idea how to replicate the issue, as it would happen randomly but daily. Any ideas?

edit: I am using OC 0.5.9, EFI attached.

If all things are the same except for CPU, RAM, and GPU, then CPU, RAM, or GPU must be the issue.

Test with all overclocks disabled and XMP disabled.

If all things are the same except for CPU, RAM, and GPU, then CPU, RAM, or GPU must be the issue.

Test with all overclocks disabled and XMP disabled.

I'm using Geekbench 5 stress test, during the CPU stress test everything seems to run normal. When I stress test the GPU, it immediately shuts off (or sometimes within a couple times of being stressed). Now, would it be the GPU or the PSU (the PSU is a Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze that I've had for a couple years now..).

Is the PSU not supplying enough power and it's failing, or the GPU is faulty? I've put in an order for another GPU but it doesn't come in until Monday..

I'm using Geekbench 5 stress test, during the CPU stress test everything seems to run normal. When I stress test the GPU, it immediately shuts off (or sometimes within a couple times of being stressed). Now, would it be the GPU or the PSU (the PSU is a Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze that I've had for a couple years now..).

Is the PSU not supplying enough power and it's failing, or the GPU is faulty? I've put in an order for another GPU but it doesn't come in until Monday..

750W should be more than enough... I guess we will find out Monday if it's the video card or not...

750W should be more than enough... I guess we will find out Monday if it's the video card or not...

just tested with a Seasonic 620 W Bronze power supply I use for my PC.. and wow, it's making it farther than it did when it was connected to the Corsair PSU..

I may have found the problem, for now. Gonna run the test for a couple hours and see if how long it lasts.

@pastrychef Would you be able to help me with either Clover or OpenCore. It has been awhile since I have built a hackintosh. I am having so many issues with both Clover and OpenCore mainly the issue being that the installer never shows up when I boot into either bootloader

just tested with a Seasonic 620 W Bronze power supply I use for my PC.. and wow, it's making it farther than it did when it was connected to the Corsair PSU..

I may have found the problem, for now. Gonna run the test for a couple hours and see if how long it lasts.

@pastrychef Apparently, the PSU was the problem, I switched them out. I don't understand it, but the PSU that was in the Hackintosh is now running stable in the PC build.. anyways, that solved that problem.

But I'm still having an issue with the random freezes..
I found from another thread about a kernal log stream that I just ran in the background. It took a couple of hours for a random freeze to happen but it did..

I unfortunately don't understand the log at all, but this is what it capture before the freeze. Hopefully you or someone on here can make sense of it.

Attachments

• kernel.log.stream.txt
    6.7 MB · Views: 171
@pastrychef Would you be able to help me with either Clover or OpenCore. It has been awhile since I have built a hackintosh. I am having so many issues with both Clover and OpenCore mainly the issue being that the installer never shows up when I boot into either bootloader

Which system are you trying to install to? The Alienware R3 13 Signature Edition that's in your profile?

If that's the system you are trying to install macOS to, I don't have any experience with that laptop and you'd probably get more help in the laptop section of this forum. Be advised that Mojave has no support for the GTX1060 and you'll have to disable it.

@pastrychef Apparently, the PSU was the problem, I switched them out. I don't understand it, but the PSU that was in the Hackintosh is now running stable in the PC build.. anyways, that solved that problem.

But I'm still having an issue with the random freezes..
I found from another thread about a kernal log stream that I just ran in the background. It took a couple of hours for a random freeze to happen but it did..

I unfortunately don't understand the log at all, but this is what it capture before the freeze. Hopefully you or someone on here can make sense of it.

Looks like an audio issue. Please try the "No-hda-gfx" fix posted here.

is AppleALC.kext necessary if I'm not using audio through DP or HDMI? using the audio jack in the back of the motherboard.

Yes, you still need it. That's the kext that's responsible for activating your motherboard audio.

Back