Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Ahh, well. unfortunate as it may be it is my time of year again. I don’t know if you remeber but you’ve directly helped me through starting my pc to updating it to Mojave. As Big Sur comes out and Catalina is presumably pretty stable by now, I have tried to update, to no avail.

Now, usually the problems I have are just simple things that I would be able to fix on my own. However, this is kind of different. I had tried to boot with the USB and your most recent file of Catalina without OpenCore, and there’s a flashing underscore, which I have seen many times before. It means that it is not reading my USB as a bootable drive. So, therefore, I boot back into Mojave and reprocess anything and see if it was incomplete or anything like that.

After a couple times of doing this however, I have found that I cannot boot back into Mojave as my system takes ages to “scan the entries”. I am using Clover 5093, and I have an idea as to why, as it is scanning to find the EFI out of the almost full 500GB SSD that I have. I am assuming that searching through that would take a while, but my questions are why has this only happened now, and what is wrong with my boot drive for Catalina. When using UniBeast, it takes almost an hour to copy files (typically as it has before). However, there is not a specific EFI partition that is made on my drive, and the EFI file appears in the main page of the drive along with everything else, which I do replace with your file, and then I still get the underscore.

Any feedback would be appreciated whenever you can, as it is almost 2AM by me. Also, much thanks for helping me through the previous troubles I have had. Hopefully, one day, I will be able to update fully without your help . But thanks much.

If your system is not detecting your bootable drives, you may need to clear CMOS and re-do your BIOS.

When creating your USB flash drive, make sure to initialize it as HFS+/GUID. This will create the EFI partition.

If your system is not detecting your bootable drives, you may need to clear CMOS and re-do your BIOS.

When creating your USB flash drive, make sure to initialize it as HFS+/GUID. This will create the EFI partition.
Alright, well, after awhile of trying to get everything into guid and downloaded properly, I have entered into Clover 5117, which is expected, and, when selecting the “Mojave” EFI to boot from, it obviously doesn’t work. So I has rebooted and tried from the “install Catalina”, and it went slowly as if the system was updating. However, after the first full loading bar, the screen has gone black. My computer is still outputting videos signal, as otherwise my monitor would be put into sleep mode by now. I had seen a video on this, and, since I had changed my graphics card (RX 580 Nitro) that with some AMD cards or other stuff, the WhateverGreen kext needs to be updated. However, I have a feeling you have already done this. So, hopefully, a response would justify me waiting for the black screen to go away, or to restart the whole download process with minor changes.

Alright, well, after awhile of trying to get everything into guid and downloaded properly, I have entered into Clover 5117, which is expected, and, when selecting the “Mojave” EFI to boot from, it obviously doesn’t work. So I has rebooted and tried from the “install Catalina”, and it went slowly as if the system was updating. However, after the first full loading bar, the screen has gone black. My computer is still outputting videos signal, as otherwise my monitor would be put into sleep mode by now. I had seen a video on this, and, since I had changed my graphics card (RX 580 Nitro) that with some AMD cards or other stuff, the WhateverGreen kext needs to be updated. However, I have a feeling you have already done this. So, hopefully, a response would justify me waiting for the black screen to go away, or to restart the whole download process with minor changes.

I don't know why it would go to black screen. Is your monitor connected to your RX 580? Have you tried with IGPU disabled in BIOS?

I don't know why it would go to black screen. Is your monitor connected to your RX 580? Have you tried with IGPU disabled in BIOS?
Everything was plugged in correctly, I dunno. It must have been a glitch because, as I return my BIOS to optimized defaults and reset, it boots into the Catalina installer page. Weird.

But I have another question. As I had seen somewhere, but hadn’t known this was possible, is there any way to turn off “scanning for files” in the Clover menu? I had seen a thread, I think on another forum, and they said it had increased startup time drastically.

Later Edit: Ah. my SSD didn’t have enough space. So I need to try and load back into Mojave and free up a couple gigs, which is difficult. My computer says it is once again not getting any signal from my computer, even though it is properly plugged in.
Edit 2: the graphics card was deifned as a 480 instead of a 580 in clover, sit thats fixed, and hopefully after u clear song gbs everything should be smooth

Last edited:
Alright, well, revisiting an old problem. My monitor says no signal. Yet, when I type in my password and press the play key in my keyboard, there is music. My graphics card is being changed each time from a 480 to a 580 in Clover, but that doesn’t seem to help anymore. I have tried injecting Ati, and nothing seems to help. I still have a GB to delete, as for some reason the free space hasn’t gone up after deleting 6 GB of useless files. Any help?

Edit: for some reason, when I go into BIOS, and restart from there, it always boots up. But, when I regularly just try to boot it after taking out my thumb drive, it doesn’t boot. Is there a reason for this, or it just randomly being dodgy?

Last edited:
Everything was plugged in correctly, I dunno. It must have been a glitch because, as I return my BIOS to optimized defaults and reset, it boots into the Catalina installer page. Weird.

But I have another question. As I had seen somewhere, but hadn’t known this was possible, is there any way to turn off “scanning for files” in the Clover menu? I had seen a thread, I think on another forum, and they said it had increased startup time drastically.

Later Edit: Ah. my SSD didn’t have enough space. So I need to try and load back into Mojave and free up a couple gigs, which is difficult. My computer says it is once again not getting any signal from my computer, even though it is properly plugged in.
Edit 2: the graphics card was deifned as a 480 instead of a 580 in clover, sit thats fixed, and hopefully after u clear song gbs everything should be smooth

I have never seen "scanning for files". When does this happen?

Alright, well, revisiting an old problem. My monitor says no signal. Yet, when I type in my password and press the play key in my keyboard, there is music. My graphics card is being changed each time from a 480 to a 580 in Clover, but that doesn’t seem to help anymore. I have tried injecting Ati, and nothing seems to help. I still have a GB to delete, as for some reason the free space hasn’t gone up after deleting 6 GB of useless files. Any help?

Edit: for some reason, when I go into BIOS, and restart from there, it always boots up. But, when I regularly just try to boot it after taking out my thumb drive, it doesn’t boot. Is there a reason for this, or it just randomly being dodgy?

Try to VNC or screen share in to your system and change the screen resolution and/or refresh rate lower.

Are you using HDMI?

Try to VNC or screen share in to your system and change the screen resolution and/or refresh rate lower.

Are you using HDMI?
Scanning files is in Clover. It first scans the files, and then should go straight to the drive selection page, but not always. I dunno. There could be other problems with my computer that I don’t even know about yet, as I don’t know too much about computers. Just enough to try and keep this one going. But, yes, I am using HDMI. I have unplugged, changed inputs on both my monitor and PC (1 HDMI slot to another, and changing the input that the HDMI is in on the computer then toggling the input), and nothing seems to work. I can try that otherwise I have display port capability, and I will try that. Otherwise, guess I will be stuck with a dodgy boot up. I will update you with my progress.

Are you using HDMI?
Alright, after a long day of work, I have come home and fully updated my PC! I had left it asleep from the night before to curb the problem of not properly loading, and, therefore, I deleted files, and I was done. The only thing I have to do it replace EFI files, which I kind of forgot how to do. But I can look up a tutorial, and then we will be done!

Scanning files is in Clover. It first scans the files, and then should go straight to the drive selection page, but not always. I dunno. There could be other problems with my computer that I don’t even know about yet, as I don’t know too much about computers. Just enough to try and keep this one going. But, yes, I am using HDMI. I have unplugged, changed inputs on both my monitor and PC (1 HDMI slot to another, and changing the input that the HDMI is in on the computer then toggling the input), and nothing seems to work. I can try that otherwise I have display port capability, and I will try that. Otherwise, guess I will be stuck with a dodgy boot up. I will update you with my progress.

If Clover doesn't scan your drives, how will it know what operating systems you have on your system?

HDMI has always been a problem in macOS for me. If possible please try with DisplayPort. Or try lowering system resolution and/or refresh rates to 30Hz.

Alright, after a long day of work, I have come home and fully updated my PC! I had left it asleep from the night before to curb the problem of not properly loading, and, therefore, I deleted files, and I was done. The only thing I have to do it replace EFI files, which I kind of forgot how to do. But I can look up a tutorial, and then we will be done!

What EFI files are you trying to replace?

I've recently upgraded my CPU (from a i5-8600k to i9-9900k), RAM (16gb to 32gb), and GPU (Rx 570 to RX 5700xt)
And I've been getting random freezes at last once a day for the past couple of weeks since I have installed the components. When I'm watching simple youtube videos or twitch streams my computer would lock up after a couple of hours of being on. The weird thing is, the sounds would keep playing, but the mouse would still move except, I can't do anything at all. I would have to hard reset to fix the issue. I have no idea how to replicate the issue, as it would happen randomly but daily. Any ideas?

edit: I am using OC 0.5.9, EFI attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 46
Back