Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Are you installing from USB flash drive? Try using a different USB port for the flash drive.
Yes I created the USB drive from Apple instructions as you suggested, No luck, tried 4 different ports, all the same error

Are you installing from USB flash drive? Try using a different USB port for the flash drive.
Also, I tried using your last EFI folder, EFI OpenCore 0.9.3 Z370G, and not it's not throwing the error but it's getting stuck here. Not exactly progress, but different result,

Attachments

• tempImagebYAE8P.png
    tempImagebYAE8P.png
    16 MB · Views: 11
Also, I tried using your last EFI folder, EFI OpenCore 0.9.3 Z370G, and not it's not throwing the error but it's getting stuck here. Not exactly progress, but different result,

The first error seemed to be USB related. I don't know why the second one is stopping.

If you already have macOS installed, you can just boot in to the Recovery and reinstall macOS from there. Then you can upgrade to whatever version of macOS you like afterwards.

I'm testing this solution (thanks to @Mark Quark post-2387324) for the next macOS updates, without using RestrictEvents.kext and revpatch=sbvmm boot arg.
For your normal use set your EFI with SecureBootModel=Default or j137 for iMac Pro 1,1 and the SIP to csr-active-config=00080000 (SIP Enabled). Works if you only use the WIFI patch from OCLP.
Sonoma will recognize and install the incremental update (according to your automatic system update settings).
So when you have a macos update:

1. Run (Update) OCLP and Revert Root Patches.
2. Start the Sonoma update.
3. When the update is complete, set SecureBootModel=Disabled and the SIP to csr-active-config=03080000
4. Reboot
5. After restarting, change SecureBootModel=Default or j137 for iMac Pro 1,1 and csr-active-config=00080000 , run OCLP and Start Root Patching.
6. Reboot
7. Done

Currently my EFI is set SecureBootModel=j137 (for iMac Pro 1.1) and csr-active-config=00080000 (SIP enabled) and the system runs... seems error-free.

Last edited:
If I am understanding correctly:

1. Get the normal PC / Snoopy69 EFI and modify it to suit with SMBIOS, serials, etc. as per the norm for the past few years. Overall recommendation is (I'm asking here...) iMacPro1.1 now, or MacPro7,1? I think I've seen both.
2. Then, once that's all settled and the machine is bootable and works well, in order to get Wifi working, run OCLP vLatest (as of today, 1.2.1), targeting that machine's SMBIOS (there's a setting in OCLP for same machine while you're building the EFI modifications), allow OCLP to update your boot EFI (which targets ...err...the boot EFI), and then allow OCLP to update your root patches (which targets the OS partition). Reboot, and WiFi should work.

Is that all that's required? Is that middle step (modifying the EFI) required, or has that part essentially already done with the existing EFI that is provided?

The first error seemed to be USB related. I don't know why the second one is stopping.

If you already have macOS installed, you can just boot in to the Recovery and reinstall macOS from there. Then you can upgrade to whatever version of macOS you like afterwards.
Just a question: are the original BIOS settings (in post #1) still accurate? If we update to the current, latest 3005, I think some options have changed; is there wisdom in posting a super quick vLatest summary with 3005 so everyone's on exactly the same page?

If I am understanding correctly:

1. Get the normal PC / Snoopy69 EFI and modify it to suit with SMBIOS, serials, etc. as per the norm for the past few years. Overall recommendation is (I'm asking here...) iMacPro1.1 now, or MacPro7,1? I think I've seen both.
2. Then, once that's all settled and the machine is bootable and works well, in order to get Wifi working, run OCLP vLatest (as of today, 1.2.1), targeting that machine's SMBIOS (there's a setting in OCLP for same machine while you're building the EFI modifications), allow OCLP to update your boot EFI (which targets ...err...the boot EFI), and then allow OCLP to update your root patches (which targets the OS partition). Reboot, and WiFi should work.

Is that all that's required? Is that middle step (modifying the EFI) required, or has that part essentially already done with the existing EFI that is provided?
My EFI is built on the @pastrychef EFI with iMacPro 1.1 model, using the Asus Rog Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) motherboard. I modified the EFI for Sonoma and everything works fine except the WiFi, if you want to make the Broadcom WiFi work too you need to use the OLCP patches.
Setting SecureBootModel and SIP to Disabled allows OLCP to install patches, otherwise it would be impossible.

Last edited:
My EFI is built on the @pastrychef EFI with iMacPro 1.1 model, using the Asus Rog Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) motherboard. I modified the EFI for Sonoma and everything works fine except the WiFi, if you want to make the Broadcom WiFi work too you need to use the OLCP patches.
...right, that's what I am asking. Can you help with my questions?

I did a clone of my drive and executed the installer from macOS. The problem is that I can't complete the installation because I can't reboot, my old Monterey EFI doesn't boot or any of the new ones.
Thanks for the help, I'll keep looking for things to tweak.

Last edited by a moderator:
...right, that's what I am asking. Can you help with my questions?
My EFI Sonoma and OCLP is all you need.
The intermediate step is not necessary. It is in the testing phase.
In our build, OCLP is only for install and updating root patches, not for modifying or updating the EFI folder.
To modify and update my EFI I use OCAT.

My EFI Sonoma folder has SIP disabled for the OCLP root patch installation to work. But with SIP disabled you don't get automatic updates, they don't even show up. So I'm testing a solution to get system updates again and continue to have wifi with working OCLP patches.
I hope I have been understood.

Last edited:
Back