Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If I check for Software updates I only see macOS Sonoma, there's no other option (to update from 12.6.1. to 12.7)
Click on More Info (in blue letters) and you'll see the 12.7 delta update.

A delta update is a software update that requires the user to download only those parts of the software's code that are new, or have been changed from their previous state, in contrast to having to download the entire program. The use of delta updates can save significant amounts of time and computing bandwidth.

Last edited:
For those who love the Magic Mouse like myself, we know that the biggest flaw is that the mouse can not be used when charging. Well, there's now a fix...

Combine this with a mouse pad with integrated Qi charger and we will never have to worry about plugging in our Magic Mice again.

Click on More Info (in blue letters) and you'll see the 12.7 delta update.
Thanks for the advise: when I clicked on More Info... only a web page opened in the default browser providing more info on Sonoma - so this option did not provide me to install the Monterey delta update. This is why I posted in this forum.

I read that others succeeded with Sonoma install on this hardware, I decided to do the same (fresh install), and finally I succeeded - i took me many hours and run into some 'issues' - so I decided to share my experiences and collect all the bits an pieces of information - this may help others who wish to do the same:
  • First I updated the BIOS to 3004 (and this was a mistake - GPU, XMP issues, the installation could not be completed - so I eventually rolled back to BIOS 2401 (2019/07/18) here is a link to Asus BIOS download page (I saw that some are using BIOS 2801, so this version may also work)
  • I used macOS Sonoma 14.1 Full installer, downloaded the .pkg from this site (after double-clicking the .pkg the Sonoma Installer is available from Applications)
  • Created the USB (MyVolume) macOS installer with Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
    • I took photos and indicated with green rectangles the USB ports that are working and used a red rectangle for the USB ports that are not working (FYI).
  • Downloaded and then updated (OC 0.9.5) OpenCore Configurator from this page
  • I downloaded the "vanilla" EFI Shared by snoopy69 in this earlier post #13,120 and then updated this with my previous System Definition, Serial, Board Serial, and UUID values.
  • I used EFI Mounter 3.1 from the Community Software page and copied 'My (vanilla) EFI' to the USB.
  • I used this BIOS Configuration (F7, Advanced Mode):
    • CPU Configuration>Intel Virtualization Technology | Enabled
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>VT-d | Disabled
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>Above 4G Decoding | Enabled
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>Graphics Configuration>Primary Display | PCIE*
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>Graphics Configuration>iGPU Multi-Monitor | Disabled
      • (No Options to Disable RC6(Render Standby), nor to set 192M to DVMT Pre-Allocated)
    • USB Configuration>Legacy USB Support | Enabled
    • USB Configuration>USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator | Disabled
    • Boot>Fast Boot | Disabled
    • Boot>Compatibility Support Mode | Enabled
    • Boot>Secure Boot>Secure Boot State | Disabled
    • Boot>Secure Boot>OS Type | Other OS
    • Ai Tweeker>Ai Overclock Tuber | XMP
    • Ai Tweeker>Ai Overclock Tuber>XMP | XMP DDR4-3000*
  • * I have 4pcs of Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 16GB 3600MHz CL17. If only 2 modules of RAM is installed, 3600Mhz option is not available at XMP. When all 4 modules are installed, the DDR4-3603 option is available however if i select this option Sonoma does not start up (black screen). The DDR4-3603 XMP profile was working well with Monterey and earlier macOS installs.
  • ** The GPU should be removed from the mother board during installation otherwise there's a blank screen during the install (the installation can't be completed).
I successfully installed and now running macOS Sonoma 14.1 on this hardware. Thank you for all your help and especially for sharing the "vanilla" EFI.

Attachments

• Z370G-BIOS-2401-03.jpeg
    Z370G-BIOS-2401-03.jpeg
    846.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Z370G-BIOS-2401-07.jpeg
    Z370G-BIOS-2401-07.jpeg
    808 KB · Views: 15
  • Z370G-BIOS-2401-08-USB-Ports.jpeg
    Z370G-BIOS-2401-08-USB-Ports.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Z370G-BIOS-2401-09.png
    Z370G-BIOS-2401-09.png
    42 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the advise: when I clicked on More Info... only a web page opened in the default browser providing more info on Sonoma - so this option did not provide me to install the Monterey delta update. This is why I posted in this forum.

I read that others succeeded with Sonoma install on this hardware, I decided to do the same (fresh install), and finally I succeeded - i took me many hours and run into some 'issues' - so I decided to share my experiences and collect all the bits an pieces of information - this may help others who wish to do the same:
  • First I updated the BIOS to 3004 (and this was a mistake - GPU, XMP issues, the installation could not be completed - so I eventually rolled back to BIOS 2401 (2019/07/18) here is a link to Asus BIOS download page (I saw that some are using BIOS 2801, so this version may also work)
  • I used macOS Sonoma 14.1 Full installer, downloaded the .pkg from this site (after double-clicking the .pkg the Sonoma Installer is available from Applications)
  • Created the USB (MyVolume) macOS installer with Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
    • I took photos and indicated with green rectangles the USB ports that are working and used a red rectangle for the USB ports that are not working (FYI).
  • Downloaded and then updated (OC 0.9.5) OpenCore Configurator from this page
  • I downloaded the "vanilla" EFI Shared by snoopy69 in this earlier post #13,120 and then updated this with my previous System Definition, Serial, Board Serial, and UUID values.
  • I used EFI Mounter 3.1 from the Community Software page and copied 'My (vanilla) EFI' to the USB.
  • I used this BIOS Configuration (F7, Advanced Mode):
    • CPU Configuration>Intel Virtualization Technology | Enabled
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>VT-d | Disabled
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>Above 4G Decoding | Enabled
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>Graphics Configuration>Primary Display | PCIE*
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration>Graphics Configuration>iGPU Multi-Monitor | Disabled
      • (No Options to Disable RC6(Render Standby), nor to set 192M to DVMT Pre-Allocated)
    • USB Configuration>Legacy USB Support | Enabled
    • USB Configuration>USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator | Disabled
    • Boot>Fast Boot | Disabled
    • Boot>Compatibility Support Mode | Enabled
    • Boot>Secure Boot>Secure Boot State | Disabled
    • Boot>Secure Boot>OS Type | Other OS
    • Ai Tweeker>Ai Overclock Tuber | XMP
    • Ai Tweeker>Ai Overclock Tuber>XMP | XMP DDR4-3000*
  • * I have 4pcs of Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 16GB 3600MHz CL17. If only 2 modules of RAM is installed, 3600Mhz option is not available at XMP. When all 4 modules are installed, the DDR4-3603 option is available however if i select this option Sonoma does not start up (black screen). The DDR4-3603 XMP profile was working well with Monterey and earlier macOS installs.
  • ** The GPU should be removed from the mother board during installation otherwise there's a blank screen during the install (the installation can't be completed).
I successfully installed and now running macOS Sonoma 14.1 on this hardware. Thank you for all your help and especially for sharing the "vanilla" EFI.

You can enable VT-d.

@pixelmambo - Just a quick note to let you know I'm running BIOS 3004 and it works great...

The USB fix you are referring to is a very old method. I prefer the newer kext method. Instructions can be found at:

As Terminal indicates your sleep issue is caused by "IODisplayWrangler". I don't know what's triggering that in your system. I think IODisplayWrangler is related to screen brightness which I never implemented in my EFI.
On the end I forgot to change the USB connector from the Bluetooth Wifi Broadcom combo card was configured as a USB2 type. Changing to internal type solved wake issue. IODisplayWrangler is always on the bottom I think and is not blocking a successful sleep.

EFI updated to OpenCore 0.9.6
Attached are two different EFI for those with Ventura and the other for Sonoma.
Enable VT-d.
...to replace with your own USBPorts.kext , SMBIOS, Mac address, Device Properties (GPU Injection).
If you are in Sonoma, before updating use OCLP to restore the roots patches and once macOS is updated, apply the patches again.
macOS 14.1.1 Update, took ~20 minutes.

Attachments

• EFI OpenCore 0.9.6 Z370G.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 35
  • EFI Sonoma OpenCore 0.9.6 Z370G.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 22
EFI updated to OpenCore 0.9.6
Attached are two different EFI for those with Ventura and the other for Sonoma.
Enable VT-d.
...to replace with your own USBPorts.kext , SMBIOS, Mac address, Device Properties (GPU Injection).
If you are in Sonoma, before updating use OCLP to restore the roots patches and once macOS is updated, apply the patches again.
macOS 14.1.1 Update, took ~20 minutes.
Hi, I'm trying to install the latest ventura version using your EFI folder, using the method @pastrychef outlined in this post
But I'm getting stuck at loading the installer with this error, I tried changing smbios and other suggestions I've found but no luck so far,
I'm using the exact same hardware as Pastrychef but with a radeon rx6900xt. only added agdpmod=pikera at bootargs.

Anyone has an idea of what's going on?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImageQcFfGh.png
    tempImageQcFfGh.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 20
Hi, I'm trying to install the latest ventura version using your EFI folder, using the method @pastrychef outlined in this post
But I'm getting stuck at loading the installer with this error, I tried changing smbios and other suggestions I've found but no luck so far,
I'm using the exact same hardware as Pastrychef but with a radeon rx6900xt. only added agdpmod=pikera at bootargs.

Anyone has an idea of what's going on?

Thanks!

Are you installing from USB flash drive? Try using a different USB port for the flash drive.

Back