Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Good idea, I will try out all the ports. However my plan is to use the Titan Ridge with the LG5k (Thunderbolt) + LG4k (DP) so I might need WEG anyway.

I've booted into OC. Gosh, it was hard to just add a boot argument haha. I'm testing iMacPro1,1 but the same thing is happening :(

EDIT: I've tried without WEG again, one of the ports was working so I was able to get to macOS with the 5700 but the freeze/kp still happens... so I have no choice but to go with iMac SMBIOS.

I don't think WhateverGreen has anything to do with Thunderbolt.

If these bootloaders were cars, Clover would be the one with automatic transmission, power steering, and power brakes while OpenCore would be the one without any of that...

As I said, I suspect that the issue is due to immature 5700 XT drivers. Use iMac system definition since DRM doesn't matter to you anyway. iMac19,1 should be fine for you.

I don't think WhateverGreen has anything to do with Thunderbolt.
I guess, I was just saying that because if WEG enables all the ports I will actually need 3xDP ports (2 for the LG 5k that will go through the Titan Ridge and 1 for the LG 4k)

I guess, I was just saying that because if WEG enables all the ports I will actually need 3xDP ports (2 for the LG 5k that will go through the Titan Ridge and 1 for the LG 4k)

As far as I know, the Thunderbolt connections are essentially pass-through and can aggregate the two DisplayPort 1.4 connections in to a single DisplayPort 2.0. If you aren't using a 5K or higher resolution monitor, it's useless.

If you are only using a single 4K monitor, the other ports don't matter.

As far as I know, the Thunderbolt connections are essentially pass-through and can aggregate the two DisplayPort 1.4 connections in to a single DisplayPort 2.0. If you aren't using a 5K or higher resolution monitor, it's useless.

If you are only using a single 4K monitor, the other ports don't matter.
Yes exactly! When I removed WEG only 1 DP port was showing signal, but with my setup I will need 3 Displayports. In any case, the iMacPro freeze doesn't seem to be because WEG so I will keep it :). Thanks!

@bluepr0, I'm having the same issue as you. It's the drivers. My hack was perfect on 10.15.1 beta 2, but then with beta 3 I started having the same issues. My fix is not let it sleep. lol! But for the safari Netflix thing I found that, once it's booted, I turn off the monitor and turn it on, and it works. It has something to do with HDCP while using DisplayPort. HDMI doesn’t have this issue. But the freezing has to do with H264 / HEVC after sleep. So Netflix, videoproc and Chrome will freeze it after sleep. We just have to wait for an update to fix our issue. This was a common issue with the Pulse RX 580. But to confirm, after a crash, check your console and look for dumpgpurestart, and Google RX 580 dumpgpurestart.

@bluepr0, I'm having the same issue as you. It's the drivers. My hack was perfect on 10.15.1 beta 2, but then with beta 3 I started having the same issues. My fix is not let it sleep. lol! But for the safari Netflix thing I found that, once it's booted, I turn off the monitor and turn it on, and it works. It has something to do with HDCP while using DisplayPort. HDMI doesn’t have this issue. But the freezing has to do with H264 / HEVC after sleep. So Netflix, videoproc and Chrome will freeze it after sleep. We just have to wait for an update to fix our issue. This was a common issue with the Pulse RX 580. But to confirm, after a crash, check your console and look for dumpgpurestart, and Google RX 580 dumpgpurestart.
Thanks for the info! I have read that the 10.15.2 Beta 1 already fixes the glitches problem on Catalina installer so there’s certainly an update on the drivers, not sure if it fixes our problem too :)

You could also use iMac19,1. For some reason it only crashes on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS but not on the other ones.

Thanks for the info! I have read that the 10.15.2 Beta 1 already fixes the glitches problem on Catalina installer so there’s certainly an update on the drivers, not sure if it fixes our problem too :)

You could also use iMac19,1. For some reason it only crashes on iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS but not on the other ones.
Cant wait to go home and try it if you update it let me know if it works

Cant wait to go home and try it if you update it let me know if it works
I'm not ready to do any kind of beta installation as I need to get together a clone disk first. But if you are going to do it I will be waiting your news. Thanks!

@pastrychef can you see Refresh Rate and Underscan on Display preferences? I have a problem with Underscan. I try SwitchResX app then uninstall it now I cant scale 3640x2160 px and 1920x1080 these are shows underscan. Other 3 scaled options works without any problem. But these two always show underscan. On Catalina no Underscan options or just for me?

or do you have any idea fixing for this 4K problem?

@pastrychef can you see Refresh Rate and Underscan on Display preferences? I have a problem with Underscan. I try SwitchResX app then uninstall it now I cant scale 3640x2160 px and 1920x1080 these are shows underscan. Other 3 scaled options works without any problem. But these two always show underscan. On Catalina no Underscan options or just for me?

or do you have any idea fixing for this 4K problem?

I have never seen the underscan option.

The only time I see the underscan option is when I use my hackintosh laptop and connect it to my TV.

Back