Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi, I'm still on High Sierra since I have a nVidia card. I've been using the EFI folder for High Sierra from the first post. Can I use the OpenCore installation from the first post on HS? Thanks!

I've never tried OpenCore with High Sierra... My guess is that it should work. You can test by putting OpenCore on the EFI partition of a USB flash drive and booting from it. Even if it doesn't work, it won't cause any harm.

Do you have your USB ports configured correctly?
Are you using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi?
My knowledge at hackintosh is insignificant :( I use only your EFI files and changed the serial numbers a bit :oops:
I do not use WiFi. Internet connection occurs through 1 gigabit wire.
My English is weak. Sorry. :)

My knowledge at hackintosh is insignificant :( I use only your EFI files and changed the serial numbers a bit :oops:
I do not use wi-fi, Internet connection occurs through 1 gigabit wire.
My English is weak sorry :)

Please try configuring your USB ports as detailed here.

Hello @pastrychef!

I've got my Hack parts and I put it together, however I'm unable to install Catalina.

I've used EFI Unified r5.1.5.

I've set initially iMacPro1,1 with agdpmod=pikera because I'm on the new 5700. I was able to boot to the installer but there's graphical glitches and it's impossible to do it (see https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/550). It seems you need to use your iGPU to install Catalina.

So I've tried a few different things and I'm always getting the same error and a few seconds later restart without reaching the installer (check pics below). I've set in the BIOS "Primary Display" to CPU Graphics and disabled iGPU Multi-monitor option. RC6 Render standby on Auto and DVMT Pre-Allocated on 128M (tried also with 64M)

With this settings I've tried:
- Setting SMBIOS to iMac18,3
- Setting SMBIOS to MacMini8,1 (I thought this will work because it only has iGPU)
- I've tried enabling/disabling the ACPI BIOS Patch just in case
- I've tried booting from USB2 and USB3 ports

The error I'm getting is first this
IMG_3385.jpg

And then it shows a bit more of lines and shows this, then it restarts the whole computer again.
IMG_3383.jpg

I'm not sure what else to try, other than maybe removing the dGPU from the PCI-E Slot.

Thanks!. I'm attaching the EFI folder with the last test I did which was MacMini8,1

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    29.6 MB · Views: 61
Okay I've removed the dGPU and now it booted to the installer!!! It's kind of loading still but at least it's not restarting!

EDIT: I'm installing Catalina as we speak!

Hello @pastrychef!

I've got my Hack parts and I put it together, however I'm unable to install Catalina.

I've used EFI Unified r5.1.5.

I've set initially iMacPro1,1 with agdpmod=pikera because I'm on the new 5700. I was able to boot to the installer but there's graphical glitches and it's impossible to do it (see https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/550). It seems you need to use your iGPU to install Catalina.

So I've tried a few different things and I'm always getting the same error and a few seconds later restart without reaching the installer (check pics below). I've set in the BIOS "Primary Display" to CPU Graphics and disabled iGPU Multi-monitor option. RC6 Render standby on Auto and DVMT Pre-Allocated on 128M (tried also with 64M)

With this settings I've tried:
- Setting SMBIOS to iMac18,3
- Setting SMBIOS to MacMini8,1 (I thought this will work because it only has iGPU)
- I've tried enabling/disabling the ACPI BIOS Patch just in case
- I've tried booting from USB2 and USB3 ports

The error I'm getting is first this
View attachment 434716

And then it shows a bit more of lines and shows this, then it restarts the whole computer again.
View attachment 434717

I'm not sure what else to try, other than maybe removing the dGPU from the PCI-E Slot.

Thanks!. I'm attaching the EFI folder with the last test I did which was MacMini8,1

Please try the following:
Go to BIOS and set primary display to IGPU.
Set DVMT Prealloc to 128GB. Save.
In config.plist, set iMac18,1 system definition. Save.
Shut down and pull the 5700 XT.
Install macOS.
Update macOS to 10.15.1.
Change system definition to iMacPro1,1. Save and shut down.
Plug in 5700 XT.
Boot in to BIOS set primary display to 5700 XT and disable IGPU. Save.

Last edited:
Okay I've removed the dGPU and now it booted to the installer!!! It's kind of loading still but at least it's not restarting!

EDIT: I'm installing Catalina as we speak!

All good now? 5700 XT working? Messages?

All good now? 5700 XT working? Messages?
Hey! sorry I didn't report back. Yes! I'm using now iMacPro1,1 and it seems to be working. I still need to test things out, configure thunderbolt, etc but so far what I've installed works fine.

The only thing that won't work with 5700 is installing Catalina from 0, the macOS Installer with these GPUs doesn't work correctly (both on Clover and OpenCore). Some users reported success by using the HDMI port instead of the DP port but I don't have HDMI handy so my only choice was to install it using the iGPU (I used the MacMini8,1 SMBIOS)

BTW, I got the 5700, not the 5700Xt but I believe it should be the same in terms of what works and what doesn't. I still have a few more things to do like correctly install and configure the Titan Ridge, the Wifi/BT card that I will hopefully work on this in the coming days.

Once again, thanks so much @pastrychef... this is just possible for me because you took the time and effort to configure everything and constantly helping here in your guide. Really appreciate it!

EDIT: I'm experiencing random freezes from time to time. The whole screen freezes but I can still move the cursor around. To get it back you only can do a full restart or wait a few seconds and it will restart itself

Hey! sorry I didn't report back. Yes! I'm using now iMacPro1,1 and it seems to be working. I still need to test things out, configure thunderbolt, etc but so far what I've installed works fine.

The only thing that won't work with 5700 is installing Catalina from 0, the macOS Installer with these GPUs doesn't work correctly (both on Clover and OpenCore). Some users reported success by using the HDMI port instead of the DP port but I don't have HDMI handy so my only choice was to install it using the iGPU (I used the MacMini8,1 SMBIOS)

BTW, I got the 5700, not the 5700Xt but I believe it should be the same in terms of what works and what doesn't. I still have a few more things to do like correctly install and configure the Titan Ridge, the Wifi/BT card that I will hopefully work on this in the coming days.

Once again, thanks so much @pastrychef... this is just possible for me because you took the time and effort to configure everything and constantly helping here in your guide. Really appreciate it!

Yes, 5700 and 5700 XT should be the same. The drivers are the same...

Which Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are you using. If it's an Apple Card, it should be plug-n-play. If not, you will need a few kexts.

Yes, 5700 and 5700 XT should be the same. The drivers are the same...

Which Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are you using. If it's an Apple Card, it should be plug-n-play. If not, you will need a few kexts.
Yes it's an Apple Card, just plugged it in and it's working already (Wifi and BT tested). It's avoiding my Hack to sleep but I will try to map the USB Ports and set that one to internal (this actually was happening on my other Hack as well)

What I'm a bit worried is the random freezes, which I'm guessing are kernel panics. I'm going to look again at BIOS settings just in case.

Back