Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

True, I read that part! but still says about setting the CsrActiveConfig. Anyway if it's ready then perfect! Just wanted to re-read all the guide and see if there's something I was missing. Thanks once again <3

CsrActiveConfig setting is to enable/disable System Integrity Protection (aka SIP). I don't know why anyone would want to disable this macOS security feature if you don't have to. It makes no sense to me... But it's up to you how you want to run your system.

It's the people who had SIP disabled who got hit by the Google Chrome bug...

@pastrychef : Thanks as always for the great info. I do have a question I've seen various 0x(n) characters used after the 0x( ) like 0x0, 0x3, 0x03, 0x67, etc.

I'm running my kexts, etc. from the EFI. What actual CsrConfig value are you using, since your builds tend to be Golden? Also, am I correct in assuming that even with the EFI mounted, that the sudo kextcache -i / command only looks at L/E and S/L/E and doesn't touch anything in the EFI?

Thanks in advance...

@pastrychef : Thanks as always for the great info. I do have a question I've seen various 0x(n) characters used after the 0x( ) like 0x0, 0x3, 0x03, 0x67, etc.

I'm running my kexts, etc. from the EFI. What actual CsrConfig value are you using, since your builds tend to be Golden? Also, am I correct in assuming that even with the EFI mounted, that the sudo kextcache -i / command only looks at L/E and S/L/E and doesn't touch anything in the EFI?

Thanks in advance...

I'm only aware of three settings:
0x0 = SIP enabled
0x3 = SIP partially disabled (unsigned kexts allowed)
0x67 = SIP completely disabled

I use 0x0 and have been doing so for quite a long time.

As far as I know, yes, the kextcache rebuild is only for the kexts in /Library/Extensions/ and /System/Library/Extensions/.

If you are injecting your kexts via bootloader, you never have to worry about the kext cache.

Just updated to Catalina 10.15.1 with Red Devil 5700XT. I think everything works fine.

Just set to iMacPro1,1 and go.

Hi Pastrychef,
I have the model id of mine set to iMac18,3 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - what would be the practical difference to iMacPro1,1 and should I change it?

Thanks much

Hi Pastrychef,
I have the model id of mine set to iMac18,3 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) - what would be the practical difference to iMacPro1,1 and should I change it?

Thanks much

The primary difference would be that DRM will work correctly if you use iMacPro1,1. Otherwise, there isn't too much difference.

UPDATE: the 0x3 is working for me after a couple years being stuck on 0x67... Thanks @pastrychef !

I've noticed on my build that using the iMP1,1 allows me to turn off the iGPU and let the RX-580 do all the work. I'll post a new GB score and see if it's a measurable improvement.
Would anyone recommend me upgrading to an i9 9900k with my mobo? Or would the VRMs melt? I'm using the Noctua D15s and the huge Fractal Define R6. Low temps. It's like a supercharged 2018 Mini but with better specs from what the Intel Power Gadget is reporting.

Last edited:
I have no idea what ArcMSR.kext or hp_io_enabler_compound.kext are...

Definitely get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. As the name suggests, it just kills power management.

Your EFI folder seems to contain all the kexts you need except for the FakeSMC sensors. May as well just copy them to the EFI and get rid of all the hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions/.

FWIW, those mystery kexts are in my 2018 Mini. They're just standard Mojave extensions.

Hi, I'm still on High Sierra since I have a nVidia card. I've been using the EFI folder for High Sierra from the first post. Can I use the OpenCore installation from the first post on HS? Thanks!

I've noticed on my build that using the iMP1,1 allows me to turn off the iGPU and let the RX-580 do all the work. I'll post a new GB score and see if it's a measurable improvement.
Would anyone recommend me upgrading to an i9 9900k with my mobo? Or would the VRMs melt? I'm using the Noctua D15s and the huge Fractal Define R6. Low temps. It's like a supercharged 2018 Mini but with better specs from what the Intel Power Gadget is reporting.

Yes, if you use iMacPro1,1, you should disable IGPU in BIOS.

I see no reason why you can't run an i9-9900K. The fan(s) on your NH-D15S should help with cooling the VRM heatsinks at least a little. I don't know how much you will be able to overclock, but stock clocks shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Back