Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Would you eventually support Z370 or Z390? A Lot of people bought the Z370 because of your support for it. Is Z390 compatible with 8xxx CPUs as well?

I'm no fan of Z390 for hackintoshing. I'm just using it because of that one wake issue I have with the Radeon Vii. Yes, Z390 is compatible with 8th gen Intel CPUs, but don't switch unless you are ready to deal with a lot of quirks.

Hey pastrychef , I recently had to rebuild my config.plist after a Clover update killed it, and I used your High Sierra EFI Zip file from your original post.

I've tweaked it to match my system, but I'm having a hellova time getting it to boot to the correct partition each time. it defaults to "Install Mac OS on Mac OS" each time. I've tried various incarnations of the Default Boot Volume (LastBootedVolume) and Legacy (PBR), but no dice. Attached are screenshots of the EFI volumes (and which one I've mounted) and the Boot Section of Clover. I've tried adding arguments to filter out volumes (like PREBOOT) with no luck.

My assumption is that since they are all on the same disk, Clover is technically booting from the right volume, just not the right partition.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• clover config boot.png
    clover config boot.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Clover EFI.png
    Clover EFI.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 65
Hey pastrychef , I recently had to rebuild my config.plist after a Clover update killed it, and I used your High Sierra EFI Zip file from your original post.

I've tweaked it to match my system, but I'm having a hellova time getting it to boot to the correct partition each time. it defaults to "Install Mac OS on Mac OS" each time. I've tried various incarnations of the Default Boot Volume (LastBootedVolume) and Legacy (PBR), but no dice. Attached are screenshots of the EFI volumes (and which one I've mounted) and the Boot Section of Clover. I've tried adding arguments to filter out volumes (like PREBOOT) with no luck.

My assumption is that since they are all on the same disk, Clover is technically booting from the right volume, just not the right partition.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Try changing the Default Boot Volume to the name of your macOS partition. For example, my macOS partition is named "Macintosh HD", so that's what I would enter there.
clover config boot.png

Try changing the Default Boot Volume to the name of your macOS partition. For example, my macOS partition is named "Macintosh HD", so that's what I would enter there.
View attachment 428517
I tried that as well... I set it to Mac OS.

Unfortunately, that was first troubleshooting method and the same thing occurs after reboot (my partition is "Mac OS".) (M2.NVMe, FWIW). I don't suppose the Legacy dropdown needs to be set elsewhere?

I tried that as well... I set it to Mac OS.

Unfortunately, that was first troubleshooting method and the same thing occurs after reboot (my partition is "Mac OS".) (M2.NVMe, FWIW). I don't suppose the Legacy dropdown needs to be set elsewhere?

You shouldn't have anything in Legacy since you are not using Legacy boot.

At the Clover boot menu, try pressing F11 to clear NVRAM.

The plot thickens.

Two of the several bootable options in Clover are:
"Boot macOS install from Mac OS"
and
"Boot macOS from Mac OS" (this is the volume I want to default to)

Theory: OK, it may be a case of 2 partitions with the same name. At the OS level, I changed my boot OS name from "Mac OS" to "Macintosh HD". I set "Macintosh HD" as the Boot volume in Clover, and I remove any entry for "Legacy". Save. Reboot.

When Clover launches, the new partition name is reflected in both options. Thus:

"Boot macOS install from Macintosh HD"
and
"Boot macOS from Macintosh HD".

Is there another way to filter out the "Boot macOS install from ____" option or better specify the "Boot macOS from _____"? I recall seeing an option to filter out this a while ago in Clover, but without a better way to identify (differentiate) between the two, I fear I'll have the same issue.

Thanks again.

The plot thickens.

Two of the several bootable options in Clover are:
"Boot macOS install from Mac OS"
and
"Boot macOS from Mac OS" (this is the volume I want to default to)

Theory: OK, it may be a case of 2 partitions with the same name. At the OS level, I changed my boot OS name from "Mac OS" to "Macintosh HD". I set "Macintosh HD" as the Boot volume in Clover, and I remove any entry for "Legacy". Save. Reboot.

When Clover launches, the new partition name is reflected in both options. Thus:

"Boot macOS install from Macintosh HD"
and
"Boot macOS from Macintosh HD".

Is there another way to filter out the "Boot macOS install from ____" option or better specify the "Boot macOS from _____"? I recall seeing an option to filter out this a while ago in Clover, but without a better way to identify (differentiate) between the two, I fear I'll have the same issue.

Thanks again.

Idk. I've never tried to remove that option. It would make macOS updates difficult.

Edit:
Remember that your primary macOS volume, recovery volume, and installation/update volumes are all in the APFS container.

Last edited:
Could this be the issue?

I phrased that oddly, apologies. I was concerned the guide may somehow be negated due to your build.

Yeah, that procedure works like a charm. For anyone else who sees this, be sure to check out newer posts to that thread as newer OSes are missing some of the files outlined in the first guide.

Thanks!

Back