Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

1. The only thing I had to do to get Handoff working was to set up Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
  2. I have zero experience with Apple Watches...
  3. I don't understand what you mean about finding devices with iCloud. I didn't have to do anything special to get AirDrop working other than to make sure that Bluetooth is turned on with my iPhone or other Macs/hacks.
  4. Again, all I had to do was set up Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
You should make sure that NVRAM is working too. Either emulated NVRAM or native NVRAM works.

Also, using proper USB fix instead of the USB 15 port limit KextsToPatch can possibly help.
Thanks for a quick response!

1. I have a Serial and Board Serial, my iMessage and FaceTime are working fine! But, how do I get a UUID? Do I just generate a new one there in Clover Configurator?
2. Yeah so this is a weird thing happening in which my other iOS devices cannot be detected on any device, but when I sign out of the iCloud in hackintosh, it starts working again.
3. How do I check if NVRAM is working or not?

Hello Pastrychef
I have everything working. But I have GTX 1080 Ti and still no Nvidia drivers for Mojave. I have a question. It is possible to have two graphics card at the same time? One 1080 Ti for Windows gaming and for example RX 580 for Macintosh?
Greetings

Thanks for a quick response!

1. I have a Serial and Board Serial, my iMessage and FaceTime are working fine! But, how do I get a UUID? Do I just generate a new one there in Clover Configurator?
2. Yeah so this is a weird thing happening in which my other iOS devices cannot be detected on any device, but when I sign out of the iCloud in hackintosh, it starts working again.
3. How do I check if NVRAM is working or not?

1. Yes, you can just generate a UUID from within Clover Configurator.
  2. You mean, for example when you try to use AirDrop, your iOS devices are not seen?
  3. You can just adjust system volume and if the setting sticks across reboots, then NVRAM is working.

Hello Pastrychef
I have everything working. But I have GTX 1080 Ti and still no Nvidia drivers for Mojave. I have a question. It is possible to have two graphics card at the same time? One 1080 Ti for Windows gaming and for example RX 580 for Macintosh?
Greetings

I think it's possible, but I've never tried.

Hi, @pastrychef,

I'd like to supplement my current Macs with a compact and medium priced build targeted toward multicore-intensive image processing. Your Golden Build matches quite well my ideal compromise (mATX case, i5 9600k, 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD, a cheap graphics card with DP1.4 support), and I like the idea of being able to tap into this thread during installation and future maintenance.

However, I realize that the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) is being discontinued. I can still buy one (there is some stock left here in Europe), but I'm concerned that you and other users might quickly move to newer builds and let this thread die out...

In your experience do you recommend that I wait a few weeks for a Z390 mATX-based Golden Build, or should I just not worry about it and go for the Z370-G?

I've been using Macs since the mid 80's but only now have come to consider building a hackintosh. I'm waiting for next Tuesday's Apple event before taking the leap, in the unlikely case that they release a 6-core Mac Mini at a price competitive with a hackintosh.

Thanks L

Hi, @pastrychef,

I'd like to supplement my current Macs with a compact and medium priced build targeted toward multicore-intensive image processing. Your Golden Build matches quite well my ideal compromise (mATX case, i5 9600k, 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD, a cheap graphics card with DP1.4 support), and I like the idea of being able to tap into this thread during installation and future maintenance.

However, I realize that the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) is being discontinued. I can still buy one (there is some stock left here in Europe), but I'm concerned that you and other users might quickly move to newer builds and let this thread die out...

In your experience do you recommend that I wait a few weeks for a Z390 mATX-based Golden Build, or should I just not worry about it and go for the Z370-G?

I've been using Macs since the mid 80's but only now have come to consider building a hackintosh. I'm waiting for next Tuesday's Apple event before taking the leap, in the unlikely case that they release a 6-core Mac Mini at a price competitive with a hackintosh.

Thanks L

I would not worry about it. Z370 is well entrenched enough that there should be plenty of users to support each other in the future. I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of future updates and maintenance.

There are still a few issues with hackintoshing Z390. Sleep/shutdown and audio are still not quite working right.

I'm prefectly happy with Z370. The only real difference between Z370 and Z390 are (1) Z390 includes Intel Wi-Fi which isn't supported in macOS yet and (2) Z390 includes Intel USB 3.1 gen 2, but most Z370 motherboards already included USB 31 gen 2 via ASMedia chipset and was natively supported in macOS. So, as you can see, there are really is no reason to switch from Z370 to Z390, especially from a hackintosher's perspective.

If you want a 6 core Mac Mini-like machine, I have a few ideas on that too... ;)

I would not worry about it. Z370 is well entrenched enough that there should be plenty of users to support each other in the future.
If you want a 6 core Mac Mini-like machine, I have a few ideas on that too... ;)

Thanks for reassuring me on the Z370! On Tuesday night I might finally pull the trigger and order the first components of this build :)

P.S. I don't strictly need to go for a mini size. The reason why I brought up the Mac Mini is that I have family flying between the US and Europe who could carry one in their luggage. However, like many in this community I'm fed up with Apple's trend towards soldered components and non-upgradeability. Plus here in Europe original Apple hardware is often grossly overpriced, even when considering VAT (40% more for the base 27" iMac w/ 500GB ssd & 16GB ram; AppleStoreEU vs. BHPhotoVideo). So a hackintosh makes even more sense here than in the US!

Having said this, I'm all open to suggestions!

Thanks for reassuring me on the Z370! On Tuesday night I might finally pull the trigger and order the first components of this build :)

P.S. I don't strictly need to go for a mini size. The reason why I brought up the Mac Mini is that I have family flying between the US and Europe who could carry one in their luggage. However, like many in this community I'm fed up with Apple's trend towards soldered components and non-upgradeability. Plus here in Europe original Apple hardware is often grossly overpriced, even when considering VAT (40% more for the base 27" iMac w/ 500GB ssd & 16GB ram; AppleStoreEU vs. BHPhotoVideo). So a hackintosh makes even more sense here than in the US!

Having said this, I'm all open to suggestions!

I've long wanted to put together a Mac Mini-like build based on one of the Streacom cases. If you don't mind running off of IGPU only, the F1C Evo or F7C Alpha cases are beautiful. If you do want to use a discrete GPU, the DA2 evokes memories of my old Mac Pro in a miniaturized form factor.

These are of course ITX based cases. Which means that you will be limited to a single PCI-e slot and only two RAM slots.
f7c-alpha-featured.jpg da2-featured.jpg

Installed a Vega 64 last week and now sleep/wake not working. Sleep causes shutdown then reboot. I think it is a USB issue but can't figure out what's going on. I have excluded USB ports to get below the 15 port limit but it seems something is conflicting.

Back