Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi again!

I have been able to test my box today, and have discovered some serious problems with the GPU. OS X has stopped responding multiple times with Chrome and MS Word opened. I could move the mouse but the windows would not respond, forcing me to power cycle the computer (and noticing an extra booting time of 20 seconds). Only a couple of times, after waiting long enough, the user session logged out allowing me log back in to immediately fail again.

With the problem happening constantly, I have tried logging into safe mode, but the performance was worst. The windows were rendered very slowly with a weird blind effect. The following video shows the rendering of today's doodle in Chrome on safe mode:

Checking the syslog, I have found some com.apple.DumpGPURestart messages that match with the timestamp of some of the times I have been forced to reboot the computer. However, I am not sure if they are related, since I do not see the messages for other times where I have seen the problem.

Considering that the problems might be related with the GPU, I have tried to run the Cinebench software to stress the GPU, and the box was not able to render the image, showing a white screen instead. I have let the program run, and eventually the whole screen has turned yellow, only letting me see and move the mouse above it...

I have power cycled the computer, and after the reboot I have successfully been able to run Cinebench and other benchmark tools:

View attachment 329579 View attachment 329580 View attachment 329583 View attachment 329584 View attachment 329585 View attachment 329586

It's been 1h and 20 minutes since I rebooted for the last time, and I am sure that the problem will happen again soon. Has anyone here experienced similar issues with the RX 580? I need some guidance in the troubleshooting process...

Thanks!

A few things you can try:
  • Removing WhateverGreen.kext from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
  • Enabling RadeonDeInit in your config.plist.
  • Enabling Inject ATI in your config.plist.
  • Any combination of the above.

Be sure to keep a backup of your current EFI folder on the EFI partition of your USB flash drive so that you can boot from it in case something goes horribly wrong.

Then just set the cpu core ratio to 47 on all cores. No need to mess around with voltages etc. I will probably go back to trying to get 5ghz at some point (maybe I will delid) but for now this is absolutely fine.

Tried it out, and got modest results (via GeekBench)

Single Core Score: 2.3% Boost (6008 vs 5870)

Multi Core Score: 6% (28019 vs 26359)

Not sure the speed boost is worth the extra wear and tear on the processor.

Tried it out, and got modest results (via GeekBench)

Single Core Score: 2.3% Boost (6008 vs 5870)

Multi Core Score: 6% (28019 vs 26359)

Thing is, it only goes to that freq if required. It is not always clocked at that. It essentially means that you get turbo boost on all cores, rather than just a few as default.

I'm sticking with it until I find some time to work on 5ghz.

From what I've gleaned from various online sources, the average lifespan of a stock CPU is usually in the decades. Even if you halved that with serious overclocking, you'll still have many years of useful service.

Unless you plan on keeping your CPU for 10+ years or abuse it with very high voltages and/or inadequate cooling, worries about its lifespan shouldn't keep you up at night :)

The consensus seems to be (but don't quote me on that and some CPUs are different than others) that keeping max load temps below ~80°C and voltage below ~1.35v (or below ~1.40v if you have delidded the CPU), should be safe.

As for me, I have pretty much mirrored pastrychef's method. Delidded the CPU as soon as I got it, replaced the TIM with liquid metal and fitted a high-end air cooler. At ~1.38v, max load temps are mostly <80°C and geekbench multi-core score is ~31.500.

Hope it helps.

A few things you can try:
  • Removing WhateverGreen.kext from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
  • Enabling RadeonDeInit in your config.plist.
  • Enabling Inject ATI in your config.plist.
  • Any combination of the above.

Be sure to keep a backup of your current EFI folder on the EFI partition of your USB flash drive so that you can boot from it in case something goes horribly wrong.

Thank you @pastrychef, I will play with those variables to see if I find a solution.

Hi Pastrychef,

Building my first Hackintosh based on your build and guide/files. I'm hoping to use Sierra instead of High Sierra, do you think this will work without too many issues?

Cheers
Dave

Hi Pastrychef,

Building my first Hackintosh based on your build and guide/files. I'm hoping to use Sierra instead of High Sierra, do you think this will work without too many issues?

Cheers
Dave

One user confirmed that Sierra works. I would recommend going with macOS 10.12.6.

Thanks, I'll report back on how it goes!

Hi PC,

I am about to undertake this build or similar- would you suggest any changes to the hardware specs at this time?

Hi PC,

I am about to undertake this build or similar- would you suggest any changes to the hardware specs at this time?

No. I'm extremely happy with my build. There isn't a single thing I would change.

Back