Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Also does HWMonitor report correct voltages for your CPU/RAM? Mine unfortunately doesn't, even if I fix the CPU/RAM voltage manually.

iStat Menus gives me readings of 0.4-0.6v on my CPU. Pretty sure thats wrong.

Hey pastrychef,

In terms of overclocking, you said that you followed der8auer's video, which suggests setting a fixed CPU voltage. That worked for me, but any other voltage setting (i.e. offset, adaptive, auto) causes almost instant reboots as soon as the OS loads. Not even "optimized defaults" works, because that sets the voltage to "auto". "Adaptive" seems to be the best option since it automatically lowers the voltage when stepping down the multiplier and that results in a lower CPU temperature. Have you tried any of the other CPU voltage settings?
FWIW, I followed the video, too. Temps went up (naturally), but halfway during a GeekBench test, the system hard crashed. Restarted and tried again - same result. Undid everything and went back to defaults.

FWIW, I followed the video, too. Temps went up (naturally), but halfway during a GeekBench test, the system hard crashed. Restarted and tried again - same result. Undid everything and went back to defaults.

I also had this problem. Ended up overclocking to 4.7 using pretty much auto settings and its working absolutely fine.

I also had this problem. Ended up overclocking to 4.7 using pretty much auto settings and its working absolutely fine.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm relatively new to the finer points of overclocking.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm relatively new to the finer points of overclocking.

Go to the BIOS overclocking section and turn on XMP (I think I then selected "yes"). This allows your RAM to run at full speed as far as I am aware, before I set this my 3200 ram was in the 2000s)

Then just set the cpu core ratio to 47 on all cores. No need to mess around with voltages etc. I will probably go back to trying to get 5ghz at some point (maybe I will delid) but for now this is absolutely fine.

I have attached the 4.7 auto OC profile to this post. Use this at your own risk, I would strongly recommend you manually input the information into the bios.

Attachments

• 47 auto.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 97
Go to the BIOS overclocking section and turn on XMP (I think I then selected "yes"). This allows your RAM to run at full speed as far as I am aware, before I set this my 3200 ram was in the 2000s)

Then just set the cpu core ratio to 47 on all cores. No need to mess around with voltages etc. I will probably go back to trying to get 5ghz at some point (maybe I will delid) but for now this is absolutely fine.

I'll try tonight and report back. Thanks!

Hi, also built my first "Mac" after pastrychef's brilliant instructions, thanks pastrychef!
When waking up my Z370-I motherboard after an overnight sleep, it seems that it always is restarted (some programs asks for confirmation, this only happens if booted, not after sleep).
Can you please share your ssdt-usb.aml and uia_exclude entry, so I can outrule any usb-errors?
Here is my uia_exclude: "uia_exclude=HS03;HS04;HS05;HS06;HS11;HS12;HS13;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10"
Thanks!

I've attached the two aml I'm currently using:
- SSDT-USB-Z370I.aml for USB port mapping
- SSDT-USB-Z370I-POWER.aml for USB power injection, which make my iPad charging correctly through USB.

My uia_exclude entry is
uia_exclude=HS11;HS12;HS13;HS03;SS03
You can also create your own based on this image
RogStrixZ370I_USB_Mapping.png

I also experienced random reboot issue when I just finished my build, I thought it's a "hackintosh configuration issue", but at the end, turns out it is due to my faulty DDR4 memory (confirmed by running Rember.app on macOS), after I replace them, everything works fine.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• SSDT-USB-Z370I.aml
    888 bytes · Views: 115
  • SSDT-USB-Z370I-POWER.aml
    185 bytes · Views: 114
Hi again!

I have been able to test my box today, and have discovered some serious problems with the GPU. OS X has stopped responding multiple times with Chrome and MS Word opened. I could move the mouse but the windows would not respond, forcing me to power cycle the computer (and noticing an extra booting time of 20 seconds). Only a couple of times, after waiting long enough, the user session logged out allowing me log back in to immediately fail again.

With the problem happening constantly, I have tried logging into safe mode, but the performance was worst. The windows were rendered very slowly with a weird blind effect. The following video shows the rendering of today's doodle in Chrome on safe mode:

Checking the syslog, I have found some com.apple.DumpGPURestart messages that match with the timestamp of some of the times I have been forced to reboot the computer. However, I am not sure if they are related, since I do not see the messages for other times where I have seen the problem.

Considering that the problems might be related with the GPU, I have tried to run the Cinebench software to stress the GPU, and the box was not able to render the image, showing a white screen instead. I have let the program run, and eventually the whole screen has turned yellow, only letting me see and move the mouse above it...

I have power cycled the computer, and after the reboot I have successfully been able to run Cinebench and other benchmark tools:

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 23.28.11.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 23.28.30.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 23.50.14.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 23.54.45.png Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 23.57.18.png Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 00.03.14.png

It's been 1h and 20 minutes since I rebooted for the last time, and I am sure that the problem will happen again soon. Has anyone here experienced similar issues with the RX 580? I need some guidance in the troubleshooting process...

Thanks!

Hello PastryChef, Thanks for the excellent guide. I have pretty much the same build as you, but for some reason the sound isn't working. I have used your r3.1 folder but don't not see the Internal Speaker menu item, and none of the Line Out options work. I know sound is working as I cannot into Windows and all is well. Any ideas? I doubt it is connected but my bluetooth doesn't work either, assuming this is down to a USB port issue (it is a Apple WIFI/BT mini-PCI Card - WIFI works).

Thanks

In my experience, HDMI can be a bit finicky, especially on 4K displays. This is due to the fact that Apple never supported 4K@60Hz. Setting your display to 4K@30Hz only should fix it. If you have the option to use DisplayPort, it would probably save you a bit of headaches.

nvram -p output seems fine.

I solved the HDMI issue. Just needed to disable CSM in the BIOS.

Back