Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks for your detailed reply! Problem is solved! Really Happy.

But... here is that old issue about audio.

After updating to 10.13.14, HDMI/DP audio disappears again... Moreover, my Onboard audio currently suffers from audio loss problem after long sleep (say, for a night) even if I have installed the CodecCommander.kext.

I have updated the NvidiaGraphicsFixUp, shiki and AppleALC to latest version, but it just does not help.

1. For the audio loss after long sleep issue

I find in in AppleALC repo FAQ https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions, it suggests removing CodecCommander.kext.

I guess this is why CodecCommander does not solve the problem ?

Read the FAQ again. It says "You must remove any of them except the DSDT edits in any form (be that done via your boot loader or by manually written SSDT files) and CodecCommander.kext if you use it."

The way I see it, is that the FAQ is excepting DSDT edits and CodecCommander.kext from removal.

I don't know why you are losing audio after sleep. I have left my system sleeping for over 12 hours and returned with no problems to sounds. Did you install CodecCommander.kext in /Library/Extensions/ using KextBeast?

2. For the HDMI/DP audio disappears issue

According to the AppleALC repo, it seems DSDT modifications is needed. In rog z370-g motherboard, layout-id = 1,2,5,7. But I did not find any DSDT patch in the efi files.
I see that
Code:
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>1</string>
        </dict>
in config.plist. But could that be not enough to solve HDMI/DP audio problem?

I am too confused...

Many thanks for your constant explanation and support. If you visit China one day, I'd like to treat you to a good dinner. :)

If you are using one of my EFI folders, layout 1 (which is what our motherboard uses) is already injected.
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 4.48.59 AM.png

HDMI/DisplayPort sound is broken on Nvidia cards in macOS 10.13.4. I have read of a few different workarounds but none seem quite reliable or consistent enough to me. One of the fixes I read about is to roll back to the AppleHDA.kext from 10.13.3, but do this at your own risk. I have not tried this.

Are you using macOS 10.13.4? I'm not sure if there were any changes made to 10.13.4 that would require any modifications to installation.

If your installer is not 10.13.4, it should see the installer immediately.

I used 10.13.3 with UniBeast 8.2.0.

Last edited:
Read the FAQ again. It says "You must remove any of them except the DSDT edits in any form (be that done via your boot loader or by manually written SSDT files) and CodecCommander.kext if you use it."

The way I see it, is that the FAQ is excepting DSDT edits and CodecCommander.kext from removal.

I don't know why you are losing audio after sleep. I have left my system sleeping for over 12 hours and returned with no problems to sounds. Did you install CodecCommander.kext in /Library/Extensions/ using KextBeast?

If you are using one of my EFI folders, layout 1 (which is what our motherboard uses) is already injected.
View attachment 322265

HDMI/DisplayPort sound is broken on Nvidia cards in macOS 10.13.4. I have read of a few different workarounds but none seem quite reliable or consistent enough to me. One of the fixes I read about is to roll back to the AppleHDA.kext from 10.13.3, but do this at your own risk. I have not tried this.

Thanks for your help. Sorry for my poor English comprehension...

I will reinstall the CodecCommander and reboot and check whether it will work.

Hope there will be some reliable ways to solve DP/HDMI audio in the future.

Thanks again for your detailed reply.

@pastrychef I've pretty much the same setup and I've just upgraded to 10.13.4 first via AppStore, then via combo update. After the update, I've downloaded your latest EFI folder, replaced mine, copied serials and UUID's, followed the instructions from #1 post updates till 7th update. Everything seems to be working (that being seid, I just did it) except for two things: GPU fans are spinning full power just as they did on 10.13.3, and what's most annoying, the Magic Mouse stutters every few seconds even on simple cursor movement. I've tested a USB mouse and it does the same thing, so it can't be the bluetooth of the Magic Mouse. Any ideas what's going on?

I had a bit more time to use my system and did not experience any mouse stutter again. I have to assume that my stutter was caused by my iPhone updating and using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 1 has been working great since.

I had a bit more time to use my system and did not experience any mouse stutter again. I have to assume that my stutter was caused by my iPhone updating and using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 1 has been working great since.
Well, I do still have it and it's most annoying, especially when dragging windows. My phone isn't using 2.4Ghz network, but as I said, I get the same stutter when testing with USB mouse and I've also not noticed anything wrong about Apple Keyboard, which is also bluetooth based. Given how noisy Vega 56 is on 10.13.4 and how bad mouse is, unless I can find a solution for it in next few days, I think I'll be getting rid of the Vega GPU.

Well, I do still have it and it's most annoying, especially when dragging windows. My phone isn't using 2.4Ghz network, but as I said, I get the same stutter when testing with USB mouse and I've also not noticed anything wrong about Apple Keyboard, which is also bluetooth based. Given how noisy Vega 56 is on 10.13.4 and how bad mouse is, unless I can find a solution for it in next few days, I think I'll be getting rid of the Vega GPU.

I haven't seen any reports of USB stutter other than yours. I don't know what can be the cause. Have you tried with Windows or Linux?

One user said that he got the Vega fan down to normal speeds by removing FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext and another said that disabling Inject Intel in config.plist brought his fan speeds down. Mine fluctuates. Sometimes, like right now, it's barely audible and, other times, it's louder. Also, RadeonDeInit and WhateverGreen.kext are both no longer needed with 10.13.4.

I haven't seen any reports of USB stutter other than yours. I don't know what can be the cause. Have you tried with Windows or Linux?

One user said that he got the Vega fan down to normal speeds by removing FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext and another said that disabling Inject Intel in config.plist brought his fan speeds down. Mine fluctuates. Sometimes, like right now, it's barely audible and, other times, it's louder. Also, RadeonDeInit and WhateverGreen.kext are both no longer needed with 10.13.4.
I'm no longer using Whatevergreen.kext nor RadeonDeInit. I'll test with the FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext and disabling InjectIntel (I'm not using Intel GPU anyway). Unfortunately, I don't have Windows to test, but the machine didn't had anything like that on 10.13.3.

@pastrychef Since there's no need for 15 ports limitation on the system, are you still using uia_exclude? Mind sharing you latest and greatest EFI, so I could see if the mouse issues would be caused by any config difference?

@pastrychef By the way, in some of your early posts you've said you didn't heard about any issues with APFS - have you seen the latest (and not the first one, unfortunately) security issue, where it leaks plaintext passwords of APFS Vault disks?

Back