Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Delete all the FakeSMCM kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Also, you should open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and generate your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

Well, one more "have you seen this before?"
I'm having a mystery with my onboard SATA connections. Two of them are used in a SSD RAID 0; one goes to an optical burner, and three go to "a cage" which I can access from the front panel of the machine. In fact the top-most of these is what I boot from when I'm trying new things or have an emergency, as my main boot drive is an Nvme.

The bottom slot in the cage is a 4TB spinning drive, where I just store stuff. Obviously it's much slower than the rest of my setup. That's the setup... the issue is the center or top slot - if I put an SATA SSD, like a Samsung EVO, into that slot, I cannot boot the machine. It starts up; makes it thru the first black screen and about 95% of the way thru the second... and then stops, just a tiny fraction away from realizing the desktop. (A boot clone in the top slot, OTOH, boots just fine.)

It's not the SSD itself, as I can pop it into a USB 3 toaster enclosure, and it works just fine.

I've looked at the BIOS, and all the onboard SATAs are enabled (and set for hot swap).

Overall, I do have to admit that it seems the SATA on this machine seems a bit flakey. It's not as reliable as, say, USB. I can go back in and check the connections of course... but I'm wondering if there is some driver or kext I'm missing, or that might be better for this hardware?

My UEFI drivers are:
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
AppleGenericInput.efi
AppleUiSupport.efi
AptioMemoryFix.efi
DataHubDxe.efi
HFSPlus.efi
VirtualSmc.efi

and my kexts are:
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
AppleALC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBPorts.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Nothing urgent about this - it's just annoying, and while I'd prefer that SSD permanently mounted in the cage, like my 4TB storage drive, I can easily work around that using USB.

Just curious if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Well, one more "have you seen this before?"
I'm having a mystery with my onboard SATA connections. Two of them are used in a SSD RAID 0; one goes to an optical burner, and three go to "a cage" which I can access from the front panel of the machine. In fact the top-most of these is what I boot from when I'm trying new things or have an emergency, as my main boot drive is an Nvme.

The bottom slot in the cage is a 4TB spinning drive, where I just store stuff. Obviously it's much slower than the rest of my setup. That's the setup... the issue is the center or top slot - if I put an SATA SSD, like a Samsung EVO, into that slot, I cannot boot the machine. It starts up; makes it thru the first black screen and about 95% of the way thru the second... and then stops, just a tiny fraction away from realizing the desktop. (A boot clone in the top slot, OTOH, boots just fine.)

It's not the SSD itself, as I can pop it into a USB 3 toaster enclosure, and it works just fine.

I've looked at the BIOS, and all the onboard SATAs are enabled (and set for hot swap).

Overall, I do have to admit that it seems the SATA on this machine seems a bit flakey. It's not as reliable as, say, USB. I can go back in and check the connections of course... but I'm wondering if there is some driver or kext I'm missing, or that might be better for this hardware?

My UEFI drivers are:
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
AppleGenericInput.efi
AppleUiSupport.efi
AptioMemoryFix.efi
DataHubDxe.efi
HFSPlus.efi
VirtualSmc.efi

and my kexts are:
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
AppleALC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBPorts.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Nothing urgent about this - it's just annoying, and while I'd prefer that SSD permanently mounted in the cage, like my 4TB storage drive, I can easily work around that using USB.

Just curious if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

I don't think AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext is needed for your motherboard.

I've never tried hot swapping in macOS and I don't think I have hot swap enabled in my BIOS.

Thanks. I'll look closer at that kext. I'm growing reluctant to do it, because sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. That kind of behaviour raises flags for me...

Once again, I appreciate your comments.

If you look at the first image on post #1, you can see I also have a three bay hot swap cage. I've had the cage in place since about 2016 when I put together my first hackintosh. It has never been a problem but I've never tried pulling or swapping drives when the system is running. Even then, I never really swapped out drives much. I'm pretty sure I've swapped drives in each bay fewer than 10 times during its lifetime.

I suppose that if you swap out drives very often, the cage can go bad with wear and tear. To eliminate that as a possible cause for your issues, you can try connecting drives directly to the motherboard rather than go through the cage.

Hi,

I recently updated the EFI folder to your latest version (5.1.7) from r.5.1.4.
Everything seems to run well, but I have this strange error before Clover is loaded.
JiohQO6zF2pix2zyDo3AaBmCJQQFkaEmQeEVtaEuUQCwYe4aOs3KxJVX8oBXL87AFnAWK-Gx3t292bc-FoB5bGzN0QZZxC...jpg

When I enter OSX, there is this: a bunch of +++++++++ with a cursor at the topscreen.
xTbvLKTAPtpeC0WQxYZKHRvqwG8fmH023on3DKUnkQYW6lDYL2DsioEKP0zbSl2NR5m0W0tKrIjzOnlsg_rY22iRKkv7u8...jpg

I've googled quite a bit and cannot find out the cause. Someone got similar problem but no solution/cause.
Everything works well though.

I wonder what it is. Thanks.

Hi,

I recently updated the EFI folder to your latest version (5.1.7) from r.5.1.4.
Everything seems to run well, but I have this strange error before Clover is loaded.
View attachment 448097
When I enter OSX, there is this: a bunch of +++++++++ with a cursor at the topscreen.
View attachment 448098

I've googled quite a bit and cannot find out the cause. Someone got similar problem but no solution/cause.
Everything works well though.

I wonder what it is. Thanks.

Those are due to the updated FileVault fixes. I don't know how to get rid of the texts. I see it too.

If you look at the first image on post #1, snip
Thanks. I thought about that (disconnect bay, connect directly.) The fact is that I don't often use the hot-swap on SATA either, and instead keep a "toaster" USB 3 enclosure on my desktop for swapping in bare drives. That works flawlessly. However, I do hot swap on the SATA bus when I need to reboot with a different physical drive. I found myself doing that frequently in the past few days, since when I modify the system, I do it on a removable drive, instead of my Nvme. That way if some configuration I'm messing with doesn't work, I'm still able to boot my computer. (Only if it works, do I clone it back to my Nvme.)

Of course, I only need one of the three slots for that, so yesterday I was mucking about with the middle slot when things went problematic.

Those are due to the updated FileVault fixes. I don't know how to get rid of the texts. I see it too.
My build is ASUS ROG Z370-F, when I use the EFI provided here for UHD630, it shows the same before Clover version screen, but it is fine, the install is success. But after system running for a while, it suddenly reboot automatically, then reboot again and again at about 80% loadding time with Apple logo, before the reboot, the screen will flash as a full green color. Even at the first time when system running fine, the screen has the different color than normal, alway has no refresh on open windows or desktop. Now I can't login system because the reboot issue, I will do it when I could.

Back