Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I still don't get it why people obsessed with this method. USB already working natively with Pike's method. And much easier than this method.
You mean the port limit patches?

I still don't get it why people obsessed with this method. USB already working natively with Pike's method. And much easier than this method.

Which is the Pike's method?

The KextsToPatches are a pain because they always seem to break with macOS updates and leave users with non-functional USB ports. Then they have to run around hunting down a new patch.

you mean the port limit patches?

No, I mention native USB from your origin ACPI with F4 while boot. Take your SSDT-6.aml

0xFF - internal - GUPC
Zero - USB 2 - TUPC
0x03 - USB 3 - MALD
0x09 - USB-C - MAL0
(Same HSxx/SSxx in both orientations, then it has an internal switch)
0x0A - USB-C - MAL1 (Different HSxx/SSxx in each orientation, then it has no switch)

Enable or Disable USB ports

Look at Method _UPC - USB Port Capabilities

Enable
= One
Disable
= Zero

I attached mine. As you see this is my native USB SSDT from origin ACPI.

Here it is my ioreg looks like. No any inject kext or boot argument or port limit patch just my native SSDT-6.aml

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 22.58.13.png

@pastrychef you can use mine SSDT cause you have the same board. It doesn't change the order. Just enable or disable which port you want.

And it will never break with macOS updates.

Attachments

• SSDT-6-A M I.aml
    10.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
No, I mention native USB from your origin ACPI with F4 while boot. Take your SSDT-6.aml

0xFF - internal - GUPC
Zero - USB 2 - TUPC
0x03 - USB 3 - MALD
0x09 - USB-C - MAL0
0x0A - USB-C - MAL1 (Different HSxx/SSxx in each orientation, then it has no switch)

Enable
= One
Disable
= Zero

Here it is my ioreg looks like. No any inject kext or boot argument or port limit patch just my native SSDT-6.aml

View attachment 436796
yes, i have heard of this method, a fellow Mod has been experimenting with this

0xFF - internal - GUPC
Zero - USB 2 - TUPC
0x03 - USB 3 - MALD
0x09 - USB-C - MAL0

Enable
= One
Disable
= Zero

View attachment 436796

@pastrychef you can use mine SSDT cause you have the same board. It doesn't change the order. Just enable or disable which port you want.

And it will never break with macOS updates.

Ah yes, the "Kextless" method. Yes. This works but, in my opinion, using Hackintool is easier for most users. Lots of people are uncomfortable using MaciASL.

Here are more detailed directions to doing the "kextless" method.

Ah yes, the "Kextless" method. Yes. This works but, in my opinion, using Hackintool is easier for most users. Lots of people are uncomfortable using MaciASL.

I am not sure, cause just writing 'Zero and One' much easier looks to me :)

Yes but when they depreciate Kexts in the next OS version San Onofre. it would be good for people to understand how to do the other method. Hackintool is nice and easy and quick, but the editing the native AML file is just as quick after a little reading. I think people would be a lot less intimidated if they actually opening the file and flowing the directions while looking at the file in the editor. Instead of just reading and saying OMG this is complex.

PS.. I am not a computer programer or computer genius just slightly above average users that can follow directions most of the time.

Yes but when they depreciate Kexts in the next OS version San Onofre. it would be good for people to understand how to do the other method. Hackintool is nice and easy and quick, but the editing the native AML file is just as quick after a little reading. I think people would be a lot less intimidated if they actually opening the file and flowing the directions while looking at the file in the editor. Instead of just reading and saying OMG this is complex.

PS.. I am not a computer programer or computer genius just slightly above average users that can follow directions most of the time.

Yeah. I know about the upcoming changes to kexts. I don't know whether having old style kexts injected will work.

Yeah. I know about the upcoming changes to kexts. I don't know whether having old style kexts injected will work.

It looks to me like Apple is going in a direction that locks the OS down further and further with each release. They could work with the next OS still or they could really cut it out like cancer and 32 bit apps. As always, I do my best to use as little as I can to make macOS work on my PC hardware, so I am not caught with my pants down later.

It looks to me like apple is going in a direction that locks the OS down further and further with each release. They could work with the next OS still or they could really cut it out like cancer and 32 bit apps. As always I do my best to use as little as I can to make Mac OS work on my PC hardware, so I am not caught with my pants down later.

Yeah. That's definitely the direction they are going in. And, I see the reasoning behind it and think it's a good idea. I also like that in Catalina, system files are on a protected volume.

Having the system files on a protected volume kind of reminds me of the old days when operating systems were ROM based. I miss the no boot time/instant on...

My Z370 system can run fine with just FakeSMC or VirtualSMC, albeit with a few features broken such as on-board audio, HDMI/DisplayPort audio, motherboard ethernet, etc. But for the most part, the system runs fine. I haven't tested on my Z390 yet.

Back