Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I am assuming that you know network is down because you try to ping or connect to it from another computer?
Yes, exactly.

I don't know what else to try... It sounds exactly like what I was experiencing when I had my Radeon VII installed on this motherboard, but it worked fine with my Vega...
I have Vega64 and the very funny thing is it worked so nice prior upgrading macOS, which I actually clicked on upgrade by accident.. Oh, well...

I will check the Windows sleep/wake.

But any certificate?
Does it mean any of the MacOS I have stored are unusable now and every year I have to download them again?

Yes, I think your previously downloaded macOS installers will have expired certificates.

I don't know if/when a newly downloaded one will expire.

Another way to circumvent this is to change the date in BIOS...

I don't know what else to try... It sounds exactly like what I was experiencing when I had my Radeon VII installed on this motherboard, but it worked fine with my Vega...

Sheez... I was recently re-arranging cables and used different inputs on two of the displays (so that they are all on the same input)! Guess what, connecting to the old inputs and the issue is gone! I started checking display by display on different in/outputs and undone everything that I was changing recently.

So, checking the input on a display is very, very important, even if it's of the same type (mDP/DP).
Which outputs of the graphics cards are used seems not to really matter.

System Definitions Revisited

All along, I've always preferred using using iMac18,x or iMac19,1 system definitions with IGPU enabled on this hack because of the similarities with CPU and motherboard chipset. I did test the iMacPro1,1 system definition way back when the iMac Pro was first released and, while it worked fine, I ended up going back to iMac18,x.

With the release of macOS 10.14.5, Apple made some changes to how macOS handles GPUs and they improved h.264 and HEVC encoding/decoding handling on iMac Pros. I decided to give the iMacPro1,1 system definition another try. Here's what I found.

View attachment 411331

As you can see, everything is working with iMacPro1,1. There are no compromises. It's only been about two days since I started retesting this system definition, but it has been running great. Until I encounter any issues, I'm going to be sticking with this.

*Note: GPU HEVC is enabled only on iMacPro1,1 as explained by shuhung here.
@pastrychef do you have any info if it’s possible to get 264 and HEVC using iMacPro1,1 either using rx580 or Radeon 5700?. As I’m seeing you are using Vega 56 that actually comes with the iMac Pro. Thanks a lot!

@pastrychef do you have any info if it’s possible to get 264 and HEVC using iMacPro1,1 either using rx580 or Radeon 5700?. As I’m seeing you are using Vega 56 that actually comes with the iMac Pro. Thanks a lot!

The last time I tried HEVC with RX 560 and iMacPro1,1, it didn't work. I don't know about 5700 XT. Support was just added so I'm waiting to hear from more users...

For iMacPro1,1, I think you need either Vega or Radeon VII to have HEVC...

The last time I tried HEVC with RX 560 and iMacPro1,1, it didn't work. I don't know about 5700 XT. Support was just added so I'm waiting to hear from more users...

Is this only about h265 playback? How to best test this?

Is this only about h265 playback? How to best test this?

I think I also tested with VideoProc... Can't remember... I can retest for you a little later.

For playback, test by playing an h.265 video in QuickTime.
For encode, use VideoProc to see what it reports.

Oh damn! I'm looking to build very soon a Hackintosh with Z370 (probably going with Asus Prime Z370-A II) + Titan Ridge + LG 5k (that requires 2 DP inputs) + LG 4k so I was trying to find out what would be the best GPU + SMBIOS to get both display working + sleep working perfectly. This is actually the only thing I'm still not clear, because for the rest I've been reading tons of your messages and explanations so I'm pretty sure I can use your EFI and create my own USB map.

Based on your huge experience with hackintosh do you think I should go with the 5700? Or maybe the 580 with another SMBIOS?

Thanks a lot!

Oh damn! I'm looking to build very soon a Hackintosh with Z370 (probably going with Asus Prime Z370-A II) + Titan Ridge + LG 5k (that requires 2 DP inputs) + LG 4k so I was trying to find out what would be the best GPU + SMBIOS to get both display working + sleep working perfectly. This is actually the only thing I'm still not clear, because for the rest I've been reading tons of your messages and explanations so I'm pretty sure I can use your EFI and create my own USB map.

Based on your huge experience with hackintosh do you think I should go with the 5700? Or maybe the 580 with another SMBIOS?

Thanks a lot!

Support for the 5700 XT is still extremely new, but, so far, everything looks good.

I've been trying to help one guy who is getting black screen with a 5700 XT but this doesn't seem like it happens to most 5700 XT users and he's on Z390.

Currently, users with 5700 XT must use iMacPro1,1 system definition. Other system definitions don't seem to work with it.

If I were shopping for a new Hackintosh today, I would definitely choose 5700 XT over RX 580.

Support for the 5700 XT is still extremely new, but, so far, everything looks good.

I've been trying to help one guy who is getting black screen with a 5700 XT but this doesn't seem like it happens to most 5700 XT users and he's on Z390.

Currently, users with 5700 XT must use iMacPro1,1 system definition. Other system definitions don't seem to work with it.

If I were shopping for a new Hackintosh today, I would definitely choose 5700 XT over RX 580.
Thanks for the info! I was indeed a bit scared as well because the 5700 seems quite new so I was afraid it won't work well when using the 2 DP out through the Titan Ridge so I can get 5k on the LG. I'm actually looking for the 5700 and not the 5700XT as it's more than enough for me.

In any case, I guess it's a matter of time that the guys working on WEG fix this if I'm unable to get it working. I also wondered if the 5700 would work with iGPU enabled and set as headless.

Also in your System definitions table, am I correct to asume that you are using iMacPro1,1 with iGPU as headless too?.

Back