Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Google Chrome's auto update mechanism has been causing all sorts of havoc for Mac users who have SIP disabled.

Details of the problem can be found here:

If you are using my EFI folder, you can enable SIP. Just open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and go to config.plist > Rt Variables > CsrActiveConfig is set to "0x0".

View attachment 427335

Thanks for this. Great public service to the community. But as for me, thank God I migrated to Imac Pro configs on both of my machines! No issues here........

Thanks for this. Great public service to the community. But as for me, thank God I migrated to Imac Pro configs on both of my machines! No issues here........

If you are injecting your kexts via Clover, you should enable SIP just to be safe...

If you are injecting your kexts via Clover, you should enable SIP just to be safe...

Well, I quad boot Catalina, Mojave, Mint and Windows....and primarily, I use Firefox, so I'm good I think. I really can't be locked out, no matter what stupidity Chrome does.

But thank you (!) for the warning!

Well, I quad boot Catalina, Mojave, Mint and Windows....and primarily, I use Firefox, so I'm good I think. I really can't be locked out, no matter what stupidity Chrome does.

But thank you (!) for the warning!

The only thing that enabling SIP will do is lock down the system files. The reason why hackintoshers typically have it disabled is because they have unsigned kexts in /Library/Extensions/. If kexts are injected by Clover, it doesn't matter and you can enable SIP.

Having SIP enabled won't inhibit your ability to run multiple operating systems. By default, all Macs are shipped with SIP enabled.

The only thing that enabling SIP will do is lock down the system files. The reason why hackintoshers typically have it disabled is because they have unsigned kexts in /Library/Extensions/. If kexts are injected by Clover, it doesn't matter and you can enable SIP.

Having SIP enabled won't inhibit your ability to run multiple operating systems. By default, all Macs are shipped with SIP enabled.

Hi @pastrychef, The latest iLok/Pace support has a kext in S/L/E for Pro Tools, etc: PACESupportFamily.kext -by installing that software (on a real Mac for instance) does that change the SIP/Active Config equivalent on a real Mac to 0x3? Or would it maintain the 0x0?

I remember on my first hack that running the sudo kextcache -i / command made the iLok/Pace extensions in S/L/E (and I think the Avid 003R as well) show up as allowed unsigned kexts. How does a Mac handle this?

Hi @pastrychef, The latest iLok/Pace support has a kext in S/L/E for Pro Tools, etc: PACESupportFamily.kext -by installing that software (on a real Mac for instance) does that change the SIP/Active Config equivalent on a real Mac to 0x3? Or would it maintain the 0x0?

I remember on my first hack that running the sudo kextcache -i / command made the iLok/Pace extensions in S/L/E (and I think the Avid 003R as well) show up as allowed unsigned kexts. How does a Mac handle this?

Wow. I'm surprised they put it in /System/Library/Extensions/. According to Apple, that should be off limits... I"m also surprised it's unsigned.

Anyway, if you have unsigned kexts, you have to disable SIP. Setting config.plist > RT Variables > CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 should be good.

Wow. I'm surprised they put it in /System/Library/Extensions/. According to Apple, that should be off limits... I"m also surprised it's unsigned.

Anyway, if you have unsigned kexts, you have to disable SIP. Setting config.plist > RT Variables > CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 should be good.

Thanks for the advice. And yeah! That iLok stuff is in there deep. I thought it was in L/E. It has stuff spread all throughout the system, including hidden files, all in order for Avid, etc., to give us permission to use the software we've purchased at a premium. I have another dongle called an eLicenser from Steinberg to run the Vienna Symphonic Library stuff, and another dongle for plugins from Waves. It's baffling how they don't use an Apple/Logic/FCPX type of UUID registration, etc. The iLok is like the original T2, but in dongle/USB format.

Back