Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

OK! But I thought it is only for FileVault, which I don't use...

OK! Though the only difference in this case is "PEGP to GFX0" patch, which I used before and it didn't help. Don't know why I deleted it... Returned back.

Yep, but as I work with video I badly need QuickSync acceleration.

So, if the computer you are working on is the one with a Vega 56, which would be faster?...the Vega 56 or the iGPU Intel 620/630? I know that FCPX makes a big deal out of using the iGPU, but with a really fast eGPU like the Vega 56, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, and it didn't for me when I had my Nitro Vega 64 (and not now with the Radeon VII or my current Vega 56). Just think about it.....

So, if the computer you are working on is the one with a Vega 56, which would be faster?...the Vega 56 or the Intel 630? I know that FCPX makes a big deal out of using the iGPU, but with a really fast eGPU like the Vega 56, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference, not for me when I had my Nitro Vega 64. Just think about it.....
There is big difference not only in FCPX but in Davinci and even in Premiere Pro! Even simple file conversion from/to H.264 is much faster. I tested it.

There is big difference not only in FCPX but in Davinci and even in Premiere Pro! Even simple file conversion from/to H.264 is much faster. I tested it.

Did you do your testing in macOS 10.14.5?

Hmm.....not for me, and I tested it too. My eGPU was always faster, but I have different motherboards.....

What USB devices do you have plugged in?

Also, can you try disabling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and test sleep?

Only one USB Hub with a USB Speaker(with Integrated DAC/Amp) plugged in.
I found that I loose audio after wake from sleep If I have the speakers plugged into one of the blue USB 3.0 Ports. They are still connected, but dont play audio. Not even when choosing a different audio output and then back to the USB Speakers.
If I use the red 3.1 Ports (which are on a separate chipset I believe) the audio still works after wake. Any Idea why?

Disabling Wifi AND Bluetooth stopped the machine from darkwaking several times. I use an Apple card:BCM943602CDP

Also, I realized, I do not have any sleep-timer options in the system settings. So The system will not go to sleep after a set period of time. How could I get that option to appear ?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    32.7 MB · Views: 178
Did you do your testing in macOS 10.14.5?
I did a file conversion test (ProRes to h.264) with Compressor in High Sierra and Mojave a few months ago. Well, I tested again today with Compressor, AME and Davinci in 10.14.5. With different SMBIOS. And the results surprised me. While Compressor is faster with IGPU (as it was before), AME and Davinci are faster without it! Especially AME.
I think, I have to try iMac Pro SMBIOS, maybe it will be stable. Should i disable some patches in clover? GFX0 to IGPU?

Only one USB Hub with a USB Speaker(with Integrated DAC/Amp) plugged in.
I found that I loose audio after wake from sleep If I have the speakers plugged into one of the blue USB 3.0 Ports. They are still connected, but dont play audio. Not even when choosing a different audio output and then back to the USB Speakers.
If I use the red 3.1 Ports (which are on a separate chipset I believe) the audio still works after wake. Any Idea why?

Disabling Wifi AND Bluetooth stopped the machine from darkwaking several times. I use an Apple card:BCM943602CDP

Also, I realized, I do not have any sleep-timer options in the system settings. So The system will not go to sleep after a set period of time. How could I get that option to appear ?

This happened to me once with a defective BCM94360CS2 card. Once I disabled Bluetooth, the system would sleep perfectly. I contacted the seller and he replaced the card and the replacement worked.

I don't know why your USB speakers have issue... Does it also have issues when not plugged in to the hub?

Try resetting your Energy Saver System Preferences to default and see if you get back sleep schedules.

I did a file conversion test (ProRes to h.264) with Compressor in High Sierra and Mojave a few months ago. Well, I tested again today with Compressor, AME and Davinci in 10.14.5. With different SMBIOS. And the results surprised me. While Compressor is faster with IGPU (as it was before), AME and Davinci are faster without it! Especially AME.
I think, I have to try iMac Pro SMBIOS, maybe it will be stable. Should i disable some patches in clover? GFX0 to IGPU?

Yes, macOS 10.14.5 made some changes to the way GPUs are handled and dramatically improved performance in many apps. That's why I asked if you had tried with 10.14.5...

You don't have to make any changes to config.plist. Just disable IGPU in BIOS and change system definition in config.plist.

This happened to me once with a defective BCM94360CS2 card. Once I disabled Bluetooth, the system would sleep perfectly. I contacted the seller and he replaced the card and the replacement worked.

I don't know why your USB speakers have issue... Does it also have issues when not plugged in to the hub?

Try resetting your Energy Saver System Preferences to default and see if you get back sleep schedules.

Thanks. I will try with a different card.

Resetting to default did not bring back the standby settings...

Thanks. I will try with a different card.

Resetting to default did not bring back the standby settings...

I don't know why you don't have sleep schedules... I've never encountered this problem and don't know where to begin looking for a fix.

Back