Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

The Z170 was the only computer out of 5 or 6 that I made that had the problem. It would slow down and occasionally actually lock up requiring a reboot. It also was the only computer with my GTX 960 in it. I remember looking at Activity monitor and seeing nothing unusual. Substituting new cloned SSDs with the same data would give relief for awhile, but always after some use would exhibit the same symptoms.

On another path, what do the new boot arguments ( -disablegfxfirmware -lilubetaall -igfxbeta -alcbeta -ngfxbeta shikigva=60 ) do and are they required for all 370 builds?
Thanks again for your help.

Hmm... My Z170 build was very well behaved. It took a bit of time as it was my first hack and I had a lot to learn but I ended up with a configuration very similar to this one.

-disablegfxfirmware helps in some instances where macOS would take forever to boot. Enabling this caused no ill effects that I could see and I left it there.

-lilubetaall, -igfxbeta, -alcbeta, -ngfxbeta allow Lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, AppleALC.kext, and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext (respectively) to work even when running beta versions of macOS. It does nothing if you are not running a beta.

shikigva=60 is a boot argument for Shiki.kext. For a full explanation of what the value 60 does, you can check here.

Ive built to spec what you have and it works great, with onboard card. Im having some difficulty getting a solid boot with a WX 9100 installed? I used the AMD VEGA Config however it hangs on boot, I can get it to load by turning CSM back on but it ends on a pixelated small screen with cursor. This is my third Hack build but first with VEGA GPU, any help is appreciated, I havent found many resources for the WX9100s

Ive built to spec what you have and it works great, with onboard card. Im having some difficulty getting a solid boot with a WX 9100 installed? I used the AMD VEGA Config however it hangs on boot, I can get it to load by turning CSM back on but it ends on a pixelated small screen with cursor. This is my third Hack build but first with VEGA GPU, any help is appreciated, I havent found many resources for the WX9100s

I haven't seen anyone use a WX9100 yet... My only suggestion would be to try:
  1. Install WhateverGreen.kext in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
  2. Disable Radeon DeInit in config.plist
If that doesn't work, try signing up for the macOS public beta. I read that the WX9100 is supposed to be supported in 10.13.4 beta 2.

I haven't seen anyone use a WX9100 yet... My only suggestion would be to try:
  1. Install WhateverGreen.kext in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
  2. Disable Radeon DeInit in config.plist
If that doesn't work, try signing up for the macOS public beta. I read that the WX9100 is supposed to be supported in 10.13.4 beta 2.

Thanks , I will try both of those. the WX9100s work plug and play when housed in an eGPU and connected to a Touchbar Retina so I assumed there would be support. I will follow up with what I figure out, I also enrolled in the beta updates, so will try that last.

Don't install the supplimentary update - no compatible nVidia driver found. Ask me how I know. :)

Fr those who want to update to the macOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update but don't want to wait for Nvidia to release new web drivers, you can do the following PRIOR to installing the Supplemental Update to keep the current Nvidia web drivers working.

1. Go to /Library/Extensions/.
  2. Copy NVDAStartupWeb.kext to your desktop.
  3. Right-click the NVDAStartupWeb.kext that's on your desktop and select Show Package Contents.
  4. Open the Contents folder.
  5. Open the info.plist with Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.
  6. Go to /IOKitPersonalities/NVDAStartup/.
  7. Look for NVDARequiredOS and change its value to 17D102.
  8. Save.
  9. Use KextBeast to install NVDAStartupWeb.kext back to /Library/Extensions/.
  10. Install macOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update.

Thank you for reposting this! It works post-update too, just not quite as easy to do at 1280x1024.

Here's a Clover patch that supposedly allows for previously installed versions of Nvidia web drivers to work on versions of macOS it wasn't intended for.

Clover kext patch for Nvidia Web Drivers | tonymacx86.com

This may prove to be extremely useful since I have an ugly feeling Nvidia is not going to address this lag problem.

Go to post #1. Immediately under the BIOS screenshots, are the full instructions. Basically, just replace the EFI folder on your USB flash drive with the one I posted. Then proceed with installation.
My Hack with your EFI is great!
One weird thing is that wake from sleep will not happen with a key or mouse press, but will happen with a touch of the power button on the case. It's not a problem, but is there a fix?
Thanks

My Hack with your EFI is great!
One weird thing is that wake from sleep will not happen with a key or mouse press, but will happen with a touch of the power button on the case. It's not a problem, but is there a fix?
Thanks

I wake with keyboard or mouse all the time. I've never had to wake with power button. I don't know what can cause that... Do you have the SSDT-USB.aml in place?

I do...I've enclosed it. It's really not a problem but sort of irritates me a bit.

Attachments

• Strix mine Z370 USB ports.aml
    699 bytes · Views: 97
Back