Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I am debating on building this monster but I have an issue on the price of Ram. About 1.5 years ago now I bought 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator for about $550.00 US. Now its almost doubled is there some silicon shortage?

All your USB ports etc, Sleep/Wake/Shutdown still working under 10.13.3?

Yeah, it's a pretty unfavorable environment for PC builders right now with RAM and graphics card prices pretty much at all time highs... Yes, I think there's been a RAM shortage for quite some time already.

Yes, everything is working. Nothing has given me a problem since putting this system together other than the latest Nvidia web drivers. But that's wides spread issue and should not be considered an issue with this build and 10.13.3. It's an Nvidia web driver issue.

The Z370-F board looks tasty as well. It would be nice to have USB-C as well, unless the current PC USB-C/Thunderbolt is unsupported on MacOS for PCs?

The Ram Slots/Memory situation is a bit weird after I reviewed a build on the Z370-F. Your not experiencing any issues when using all 4 slots you have Dual Channel and MacOS is utilizing the 64mb total, one report is although it reports the total its not utilizing it correctly.

Last edited:
The Z370-F board looks tasty as well. It would be nice to have USB-C as well, unless the current PC USB-C/Thunderbolt is unsupported on MacOS for PCs?

The Ram Slots/Memory situation is a bit weird after I reviewed a build on the Z370-F. Your not experiencing any issues when using all 4 slots you have Dual Channel and MacOS is utilizing the 64mb total, one report is although it reports the total its not utilizing it correctly.

Yeah, a USB-C port would have been cool, but as long as I have USB 3.1 Gen 2 working, I'm not too concerned. USB-C is just a connector and I can just look for a Type A to Type C adaptor. The important thing is that Gen 2 is working.

I don't know which build you read, but I went through some testing to confirm that all 64GB is working. The details can be found here and here.

Pastrychef... Wow... thanks for all your amazing help. I've used your earlier EFI and comments to help me so many times. I'm wondering if you've posted a more recent EFI.zip since #1. One that might include your current config based on 10.13.3 than the original? Working on PM at the moment and realized my config.plist is getting a bit whacked. :)

Again... thank you.

Jack

Pastrychef... Wow... thanks for all your amazing help. I've used your earlier EFI and comments to help me so many times. I'm wondering if you've posted a more recent EFI.zip since #1. One that might include your current config based on 10.13.3 than the original? Working on PM at the moment and realized my config.plist is getting a bit whacked. :)

Again... thank you.

Jack

No. The EFI in post #1 works fine with 10.13.3.

Just check for updates to Clover, apfs.efi, and the kexts.

View attachment 310419 Here’s a pic of where i run into the above mouse/keyboard issues.
I know this may sound like a silly question, but how long did you stay at the install screen before you gave up? Sometimes if you give this a good 10 minutes or more, your mouse will become active. Even though you're at the install screen, it doesn't mean things aren't still being loaded from a slow USB drive.

EDIT: Sorry, this was an old question.. I can see you guys solved his issue.

Hey, pastrychef! I really appreciate all the information you've given, as it made my entire installation process go super smoothly :) I am having a weird issue though: I installed the nvidia web driver for my gtx 1080, but it's not showing anything in the ECC tab (even though my monitor is connected through my graphics card...). I double-checked my BIOS and found that I had not enabled the "iGPU multi-monitor", but whenever I do, the initial startup stalls at the black screen with the apple logo and loading bar. I still need to do the native NVRAM fix and try downgrading the web drivers to 10.13.2 when I get home, but I was wondering if you know why this might be a problem. Thank you!

Hey, pastrychef! I really appreciate all the information you've given, as it made my entire installation process go super smoothly :) I am having a weird issue though: I installed the nvidia web driver for my gtx 1080, but it's not showing anything in the ECC tab (even though my monitor is connected through my graphics card...). I double-checked my BIOS and found that I had not enabled the "iGPU multi-monitor", but whenever I do, the initial startup stalls at the black screen with the apple logo and loading bar. I still need to do the native NVRAM fix and try downgrading the web drivers to 10.13.2 when I get home, but I was wondering if you know why this might be a problem. Thank you!

In the Nvidia web driver prefpane, mine also doesn't show a monitor. I don't know why. Also, the GTX 1080 does not have ECC VRAM, so it's just going to show ECC Not Supported.

Typically, black screen can be attributed to a few things:
  • System definition set to iMac17,1 or MacPro6,1.
  • SIP settings. I have been using 0x3 on all my hacks since I started hackintoshing and have never had issues. 0x3 is the default set by MultiBeast.
  • Emulated NVRAM not set up correctly.

Also, in BIOS, after enabling the IGPU, make sure to set your GTX 1080 to primary.

You should only downgrade to the .104 Nvidia web drivers if you are experiencing "the lag".

Lastly, please fill in your user profile with your CPU, motherboard, and GPU info. It makes it much easier for other forum members to help you.

Back