Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi there.

I'm having trouble sourcing one of these motherboards here in Australia. I can however buy one without the WiFi. Will a Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard - work the same. Or should I look to another motherboard to start my build. Appreciate the help.

The non-Wi-Fi version of this motherboard will work pretty much the same. In fact, all the Asus Z370 should work very similarly. The only major difference will be the USB port configuration.

I don't know how Pastrychef feels about this but I would recommend an Asus Z390. I swapped out the included Intel wireless card for a used Dell DW1560. It fit perfectly and EVERYTHING works, from iMessage to Hand Off.

He helped with my build (patience of a saint!) and is familiar with my build.

The EFI folder I have posted on post #1 will probably need changes to work correctly with Z390. Namely, the Aptio fix and the addition of EmuVariableUefi-64.

Secondly, as far as I know, Z390 still doesn't have native NVRAM support. Because of this and the lack of any additional features, I favor Z370. It's a bit more compatible with macOS and has all the same features of Z390.

In post #5698, I incorrectly reported that IntelMausiEthernet 2.5.0d broke "Wake for network access" for me.

After speaking with Mieze, I got it fixed with:
Code:
touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -i /

Last edited:
I have updated post #40 with real world speed tests between a BCM94360CS2 vs BCM94360CSAX vs 1GbE vs 10GbE. Results are very interesting.

Hey there, quick question; for the poor souls still using High Sierra because of the graphics drivers, is it sufficient to update all of the kexts manually to match the most recent versions? Or should we keep them at the versions in your last release?

There should be no problems if you want to update all the kexts. Same goes for Clover.

Of course, always make a backup of your existing, working EFI folder before making changes.

Hey ModMike.. thanks for the advice.. I'm looking through your previous post now to find out more actually:)

I'm about to post a build. @pastrychef, is it enough to just strip my serial number and SmUUID from the SMBIOS section before I post my EFI folder?

Thanks!

Yes, leave the Serial, Board Serial, and UUID blank.

Back