Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

PastryChef - did you want to comment on the nVidia web drivers .157? In another thread you'd noted they were for a particular model of iMac, only, and not suitable for use - nor are the .156 drivers (as previously noted...) --- is the original post clear on this "minor" detail? 10.13.3 now may be the default install if you download the installer from Apple now.... (I need to read the first post again...)

Re-read it. I think we should specify "Get your hands on 10.13.2, or be prepared for some minor maintenance to get 10.13.3 to be accellerated, assuming an nvidia card." or somesuch.

PastryChef - did you want to comment on the nVidia web drivers .157? In another thread you'd noted they were for a particular model of iMac, only, and not suitable for use - nor are the .156 drivers (as previously noted...) --- is the original post clear on this "minor" detail? 10.13.3 now may be the default install if you download the installer from Apple now.... (I need to read the first post again...)

Re-read it. I think we should specify "Get your hands on 10.13.2, or be prepared for some minor maintenance to get 10.13.3 to be accellerated, assuming an nvidia card." or somesuch.

I haven't seen definitive evidence that the laggy performance of the .156 drivers affects everyone. Until I do, I can't make any specific recommendations.

Hi,

is your sleep working well...?

I'm trying every kind of thing but it keep waking automatically after a certain time in sleep.

- in BIOS every wake function is disabled
- in the system preferences i disabled wake for network and powernap
- tried with darkwake=0
- tried switching off wireless mouse

No luck...sometimes after 15 minutes sometimes after a couple of hours the system wakes by itself

I don't have any wi-fi or bluetooth I just use ethernet

Any ideas.....?

Sleep/wake is working well for me, including wake-on-LAN and power nap. USB is often a cause of sleep problems.

This build works great for me, but disaster struck when I tried to upgrade to 10.13.3 - I was suffering from the much-reported Nvidia lag - and then compounded things by upgrading Clover (bad mistake - totally killed it).

Now done a fresh reinstall back to 10.13.2 and all good. Not sure what's special about your EFI/Clover version here, but it's the only thing that works...

Will probably stay on 10.13.2 for the next five years now :p

This build works great for me, but disaster struck when I tried to upgrade to 10.13.3 - I was suffering from the much-reported Nvidia lag - and then compounded things by upgrading Clover (bad mistake - totally killed it).

Now done a fresh reinstall back to 10.13.2 and all good. Not sure what's special about your EFI/Clover version here, but it's the only thing that works...

Will probably stay on 10.13.2 for the next five years now :p

Upgrading to macOS 10.13.3 via App Store should pose no problems. Since you already know that the latest Nvidia web drivers will give you lag issue, you can stay on older Nvidia web drivers.

I posted directions on how to do this here.

It might be a good idea to keep a USB flash drive with a known working EFI folder in its EFI partition in case of an emergency like the one you encountered. The original USB installer you used is a good candidate. Just boot from it and at the Clover boot menu select your main system drive.

I haven't seen definitive evidence that the laggy performance of the .156 drivers affects everyone. Until I do, I can't make any specific recommendations.

Truth is I am getting some lag after the update to 10.13.3 and latest nvidia drivers, I didn't know of the issue 'till now. It's like a sticky behaviour when moving windows on finder, a slow and stuttery space swithing. I was thinking maybe the cause was my ram (not recognized by BIOS as 3200 ...).

Last edited:
Thruth is I am getting some lag after the update to 10.13.3 and latest nvidia drivers, I didn't know of the issue 'till now. It's like a sticky behaviour when moving windows on finder, a slow and stuttery space swithing. I was thinking maybe the cause was my ram (not recognized by BIOS as 3200 ...).

If I had to bet, I would say it's the Nvidia web drivers. Try uninstalling the latest version and use the previous version. That's what I'm doing and everything is smooth again.

USB fix:
The EFI folder linked here incorporates the USB 15 port limit patch. However, this is considered a temporary fix and the proper fix is to map out the USB ports, create an SSDT, and disable enough ports to bring the total number down to 15 or less. Full explanation can be found at section 7.2 of this post. My simplified directions on how to do this can be found here. More detailed info can be found here. (*There are other methods to achieve this. If other methods work for you, use it. This is what worked for me and it's what I use.)
Thank you a lot for this! Every turotial or user frum on the web just use th 15 port limit patch. I took the time and did the mapping...it's just a matter of following the guide but in the end is not difficult!

I've used the linked RehabMan guide. The only thing is that he doesn't mention to use uia_exclude custom flag and I didn't! It's just a matter of mapping less than 15 ports on the DSDT than you don't need to use uia_exclude custom flag, I think that's just if you map all the ports and than want to exclude some with the flag! Am I wrong? My system is working properly and in IOregExplorer I just see the USB ports that I mapped

Also the 200 series injection KEXT...is it still needed? Cause my USB ports work without it...just USBInjectALL

Thank you a lot for this! Every turotial or user frum on the web just use th 15 port limit patch. I took the time and did the mapping...it's just a matter of following the guide but in the end is not difficult!

I've used the linked RehabMan guide. The only thing is that he doesn't mention to use uia_exclude custom flag and I didn't! It's just a matter of mapping less than 15 ports on the DSDT than you don't need to use uia_exclude custom flag, I think that's just if you map all the ports and than want to exclude some with the flag! Am I wrong? My system is working properly and in IOregExplorer I just see the USB ports that I mapped

Also the 200 series injection KEXT...is it still needed? Cause my USB ports work without it...just USBInjectALL

What you did is just a slightly different method to reach the same goal. I could have posted that method but what happens if a user wants to use the internal USB2 headers? He/she would just have to do all the remapping all over again. The method I posted is easier to share. Users can just decide which ports they want to disable in config.plist.

The 200 series injector I included has nothing to do with USB. It's for SATA. It's just a cosmetic fix. If you don't like it, you can trash it.

Back