Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Confirmed working thanks @pastrychef for this guide!

Hardware
i7-9700k (working overclocked to 5.1ghz)
Asus Rog Strix z7390-G Gaming Wifi AC with latest BIOS (same as pictured in your first post) (all USBs working, M.2 NVME disks, stata, voltages and power consumption all good)
16 GB G.Skill Trident-z RGB 3000mhz (XMP Enabled)
NZXT x62 AIO Cooler
EVGA FXT3 GTX 1080ti
M.2 NVME Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

1) Other guides that helped me were the prescribed
Idiots guide to imessage - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/
As well as this to reset AppleHDA to default state
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4sil5p/audio_mechanic_old_patchfix_removal_applealc/

2) Updating some things really helped me with audio which took me a long time to get working
From your provided EFI I updated some things to use the latest
a) Clover Bootloader v4784 at time of writing for UEFI I re-installed/updated of AppleImageCodec-64.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, DataHubDxe-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi
- (I'm not sure which of these were updates or just overwrites of the same thing, but thought it best to just tick off what I could which already existed in your High Sierra EFI)
b) in /kexts/other I updated AppleALC.kexts Updated as well as Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext
c) Using audio Id 1 for now.

Works like a charm. Thank you sir for putting this thread together, it's actually what made me decide to use this hardware.

Only items not working are
1) The "About This Mac" menu, for some reason that doesn't load for me. I'm using SMBIOS 18,3 Model. I know this is only cosmetic - if anyone knows of why this might be let me know!
2) Handoff and wifi, because I don't want to change the wifi-ac m.2 card that is provided with the motherboard and am happy to use ethernet only.

Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7648.jpg
    IMG_7648.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Confirmed working thanks @pastrychef for this guide!

Hardware
i7-9700k (working overclocked to 5.1ghz)
Asus Rog Strix z7390-G Gaming Wifi AC with latest BIOS (same as pictured in your first post) (all USBs working, M.2 NVME disks, stata, voltages and power consumption all good)
16 GB G.Skill Trident-z RGB 3000mhz (XMP Enabled)
NZXT x62 AIO Cooler
EVGA FXT3 GTX 1080ti
M.2 NVME Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

1) Other guides that helped me were the prescribed
Idiots guide to imessage - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/
As well as this to reset AppleHDA to default state
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4sil5p/audio_mechanic_old_patchfix_removal_applealc/

2) Updating some things really helped me with audio which took me a long time to get working
From your provided EFI I updated some things to use the latest
a) Clover Bootloader v4784 at time of writing for UEFI I re-installed/updated of AppleImageCodec-64.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, DataHubDxe-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi
- (I'm not sure which of these were updates or just overwrites of the same thing, but thought it best to just tick off what I could which already existed in your High Sierra EFI)
b) in /kexts/other I updated AppleALC.kexts Updated as well as Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext
c) Using audio Id 1 for now.

Works like a charm. Thank you sir for putting this thread together, it's actually what made me decide to use this hardware.

Only items not working are
1) The "About This Mac" menu, for some reason that doesn't load for me. I'm using SMBIOS 18,3 Model. I know this is only cosmetic - if anyone knows of why this might be let me know!
2) Handoff and wifi, because I don't want to change the wifi-ac m.2 card that is provided with the motherboard and am happy to use ethernet only.

Picture attached.

Are you using Z370 or Z390 motherboard? Picture looks like Z370.

How much voltage did you need to get to 5.1GHz? What are your temps like?
Didn’t do anything special, except choosing the target frequency to 5.1ghz and all cores sync option and let the motherboard on auto mode for the other settings needed.
I’ve never seen a motherboard with so much choices and so much AI to calculate the other Numerous parameters to match the desired settings!!
I’m not a real long time fan overclocker. I’ve just tried what i saw could works for this CPU, and it worked. That’s all.
Same for OC the RAM just changed two or three settings.
I’ m working this week-end.
So I will take screen shots of the settings and post them if you like after work. The temps are very good regarding the entry level liquid cooling system I put inside.
Cheers

Didn’t do anything special, except choosing the target frequency to 5.1ghz and all cores sync option and let the motherboard on auto mode for the other settings needed.
I’ve never seen a motherboard with so much choices and so much AI to calculate the other Numerous parameters to match the desired settings!!
I’m not a real long time fan overclocker. I’ve just tried what i saw could works for this CPU, and it worked. That’s all.
Same for OC the RAM just changed two or three settings.
I’ m working this week-end.
So I will take screen shots of the settings and post them if you like after work. The temps are very good regarding the entry level liquid cooling system I put inside.
Cheers

Thanks for sharing your results. With respect to settings I'd recommend you check out a few overclocking guides on YouTube if you have the time. ASUS boards have a tendency to push too much voltage with the automatic settings. I've been able to get a stable 5.0 overclock using 1.23 volts with an adaptive setting. When I just used the automatic settings the board was pushing 1.4 volts or so. This will result in cooler temps and better longevity for your CPU. Of course my CPU is an 8700K so your results will be different. Have fun....

Try making the following changes in the EFI folder.

View attachment 370365

Unless there's a specific reason you need High Sierra, I recommend upgrading to Mojave and use the latest EFI folder instead of the old EFI folder. Mojave has better support for Coffee Lake than High Sierra and everything runs much better.
Pastrychef.....I had the same problem with the screen flashing under 10.14.1 on my Z370M-ITX/ac when using your EFI. This fixed my issue also. THANKS...I'm glad I stumbled upon the fix! I had removed my 1030 video board as I had given up on Nvidia.

I do have 2 questions, however.

First, on my Samsung U28E510D 4K monitor I only get 3840x2160 and 1920x1080. I'd love an intermediate resolution.
Second, booting time from pressing the button is 87 seconds. aargh.

Thanks in advance if you can solve either...

Bruce

Pastrychef.....I had the same problem with the screen flashing under 10.14.1 on my Z370M-ITX/ac when using your EFI. This fixed my issue also. THANKS...I'm glad I stumbled upon the fix! I had removed my 1030 video board as I had given up on Nvidia.

First, on my Samsung U28E510D 4K monitor I only get 3840x2160 and 1920x1080. I'd love an intermediate resolution.

Bruce

In System Preferences > Displays, hold the Option key and click on the "Scaled" button.

Booting is slower when using NVMe SSDs and APFS. I don't know of any solution.

Bruce

Regarding the resolutions, in Systems preferences/Displays press the option key when clicking the scaled button and a drop down menu will show. If you're running IGPU in Mojave I believe the scaled selections are more limited, at least from my recollection playing with IGPU before I got my AMD card.

Haha I see @pastrychef was a little quicker on the draw here!

Back