Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@elfcake It sounds like a power supply, but can't be sure about that, of course......sorry you're having so much trouble.....good quality power supplies aren't too expensive right now....

Given your bad experience with Gigabyte, I'd go with an Asus. I have an Asus Z370-A, and it's been fine, and the Z370-A is still widely available. @Stork has a thread, based on an Asus Z370 and his board is also widely available.

But honestly, I really didn't have much trouble with my Gigabyte Gaming 5 (actually resold it on e-Bay and the guy who bought it was really happy with it), so that's why I think your computer may have a questionable component in it. But I can say that a lot of unexplained problems with a system often boil down to a bad power supply or the motherboard.

But being remote, and not having direct access, nobody here can tell for sure what's going on with your system.
The power supply is a Corsair RM 750x and if it were not for the fact that this is the second MB with the same problem... Maybe a new MB and PSU?

Doesn't make sense. The drives should not be dropping. Sleep should not cause freezing.

If I had issues like this that could not be resolved, I would be discouraged too. I would try a different motherboard before investing in a 4-5 bay USB C enclosure.
I am curious about the Z390 boards, any suggestions and a new PSU?

I'd start with a new motherboard, an Asus Z370, and see what happens. If you get the same behavior, you'd have to think about the power supply or perhaps something is shorting out. Could even be the case, so you want to make sure everything is grounded (as best you can, of course) But still, if you end up thinking it might be a short, well, what that might be, I have no idea.....

Corsair makes good power supplies, usually, but you could contact them to see if they would RMA it, or at least give you some way to test it.

As for something shorting in your case, who knows? I'd start with the least amount of cards in the new system as possible (which means no video card - use the built-in video to start), using Imac 18,1 or 18,2 smbios definition and go from there....

Z390? I'll leave that to others to determine, but I personally would say no. Too soon.....others who've tried it have been having trouble.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if I were to purchase a Z390 motherboard today, I would probably go for a Gigabyte because they have really outdone themselves on VRM for Z390. That being said, I'm hesitant because of the loss of native NVRAM. If/when that gets sorted out, I will seriously consider it.

For power supplies, I was told that Seasonic makes the best.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if I were to purchase a Z390 motherboard today, I would probably go for a Gigabyte because they have really outdone themselves on VRM for Z390. That being said, I'm hesitant because of the loss of native NVRAM. If/when that gets sorted out, I will seriously consider it.

For power supplies, I was told that Seasonic makes the best.
Well, lack of native NVRAM is not that serious, choosing that NVRAM option in Multibeast, correct?

Well, lack of native NVRAM is not that serious, choosing that NVRAM option in Multibeast, correct?

Without native NVRAM, we lose panic logs when the whole system freezes. I value that troubleshooting tool a lot.

Have you checked out your bios? AHCI enabled and then look into each port and click on them to see if you can activate hot plug? Cstates and Pstates settings may be playing a role as well.

ERP enabled, disabled. There may be bios settings that will address the issue and or config.plist settings as well. Halt enabler, enable C6, C2, C4, C7 etc.

Have you checked out your bios? AHCI enabled and then look into each port and click on them to see if you can activate hot plug? Cstates and Pstates settings may be playing a role as well.

ERP enabled, disabled. There may be bios settings that will address the issue and or config.plist settings as well. Halt enabler, enable C6, C2, C4, C7 etc.
Can you be More specific about p states and c states? I know that in Clover Config that none of the c states are checked. AHCI is enabled. I will check for hot plug later. I think ERP is disabled. Will check when I return to my troublesome digital dilemma.

Last edited:
@elfcake It sounds like a power supply, but can't be sure about that, of course......sorry you're having so much trouble.....good quality power supplies aren't too expensive right now....

Given your bad experience with Gigabyte, I'd go with an Asus. I have an Asus Z370-A, and it's been fine, and the Z370-A is still widely available. @Stork has a thread, based on an Asus Z370 and his board is also widely available.

But honestly, I really didn't have much trouble with my Gigabyte Gaming 5 (actually resold it on e-Bay and the guy who bought it was really happy with it), so that's why I think your computer may have a questionable component in it. But I can say that a lot of unexplained problems with a system often boil down to a bad power supply or the motherboard.

But being remote, and not having direct access, nobody here can tell for sure what's going on with your system.
Ok, thanks for the advice. My first step is testing with an HDE 20+4 Pin LCD Power Supply Tester for ATX, ITX, BTX, PCI-E, SATA, HDD and will go from there.

So, I would start by stripping the system down to the bare essentials: boot drive, and no video card, and no wireless card, etc., as little as possible. Just enough to load the os. Then one by one add in components, and test. I'd add drives and see if you have the odd behavior you discussed before. Then add another component, etc, and test. Repeat until it's built back to normal See where that gets you some idea of where the issue is......just a thought..,,..

And, here's a decent deal on a power supply, I have one of these and it was fine, replaced it with a larger one.....https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153198

But if yours tests out okay, you wouldn't need it........

Last edited:
Back