Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Yes, I'm very lucky that my neighborhood is wired for these internet speeds. It's expensive, but I love it.

I use a DW1560 in my laptop and it works well. But I haven't done as extensive testing as I have with my desktop.

I would have thought that the BCM94360CD in a PCI-e slot would work equally as well too. Perhaps there's a BIOS setting that can affect PCI-e slot behavior after sleep...

I think that you can use your BCM93460CD with the M.2 adaptor, assuming you have a way to route the extra antennas...
With the DW1560 what patches do you use? Do you use anything for continuity?

I would've thought so too, I even tried enabling the bios setting Power on by PCIe with no luck, will have to investigate further.

The slow wifi issue only is present with WOL enabled in system preferences. The only explanation I have is that the card is not genuine..

With the DW1560 what patches do you use? Do you use anything for continuity?

I would've thought so too, I even tried enabling the bios setting Power on by PCIe with no luck, will have to investigate further.

The slow wifi issue only is present with WOL enabled in system preferences. The only explanation I have is that the card is not genuine..

On my laptop, I only needed BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext to get the DW1560 working. I also have the following KextsToPatch:
Name: com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360
Find: 81F952AA 00007529
Replace: 81F952AA 00006690
Comment: AirPortBrcm4360 - fcyo, 10.12.x (credit the-darkvoid)

Name: IOBluetoothFamily
Find: 4885FF74 47488B07
Replace: 41BE0F00 0000EB44
Comment: 10.11-BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot-lisai9093

On a side note, as a user who has both an X299 system and a Z370 system, how would you rate the degrees of compatibility and functionality between the two in relation to how closely they behave like real Macs? TIA.

On my laptop, I only needed BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext to get the DW1560 working. I also have the following KextsToPatch:
Name: com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360
Find: 81F952AA 00007529
Replace: 81F952AA 00006690
Comment: AirPortBrcm4360 - fcyo, 10.12.x (credit the-darkvoid)

Name: IOBluetoothFamily
Find: 4885FF74 47488B07
Replace: 41BE0F00 0000EB44
Comment: 10.11-BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot-lisai9093

On a side note, as a user who has both an X299 system and a Z370 system, how would you rate the degrees of compatibility and functionality between the two in relation to how closely they behave like real Macs? TIA.
Thankyou! :)
The second patch is exactly what I'm after as the AirportBrcmFixup takes care of the first patch and also sorts out the slow wifi on sleep. Now time to figure out why the the PCIe adapter doesn't like WOL

Alright so I have reached a interesting discovery.
Using the "AirportBrcmFixup" practically disables WOL just for the wireless card, so if needed WOL can be still enabled and in turn working when using the other ethernet cards.

Personally what I think I'm going to do is just disable WOL and then everything works fine and I won't need the extra kext
In the meantime I'm going to wait on the NGFF adapter so I can find out if this issue will persist when using the M.2 slot.

Alright so I have reached a interesting discovery.
Using the "AirportBrcmFixup" practically disables WOL just for the wireless card, so if needed WOL can be still enabled and in turn working when using the other ethernet cards.

Personally what I think I'm going to do is just disable WOL and then everything works fine and I won't need the extra kext
In the meantime I'm going to wait on the NGFF adapter so I can find out if this issue will persist when using the M.2 slot.

I didn't know about the existence of this kext. Do you use it in place of the other kexts or with those other kexts?

I didn't know about the existence of this kext. Do you use it in place of the other kexts or with those other kexts?
With the kext "AirportBrcmFixup" you no longer need the clover patch "com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360" and it also solves the issue of slow wifi for any card experiencing it as it disables WOL for just that wireless card, in turn resolving the issue. Check out the GitHub page for the kext for a full list of what it does.

Since I don't really use WOL, I will have it disabled for now until the bugs stop with the ROG Areion 10GbE card.

When I compared other Z370 mATX motherboards, all the other ones seemed to be missing one thing or another, including lack of USB 3.1 Gen 2, only 4 SATA connections, lack of M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, etc. This Strix Z370-G had the most features.

I had no problems booting with all four RAM slots populated. However, only 32GB was initially recognized. I edited my config.plist and populated the SMBIOS/Memory section to get all 64GB recognized. I don't know if this is cosmetic or if all 64GB is actually seen now.

I haven't done a clean install yet. I simply modified my config.plist and changed a few kexts on my old Gene build prior to taking it out of commission, then I transplanted the SSD to the Strix and have been continuing to use my existing macOS install. I haven't done a true clean install in over a decade and have simply transplanted my boot drive each time I changed systems.

Yes, I was aware of the VDroop and LLC issues and updated the BIOS immediately. I followed the video I linked above to overclock to 5GHz.
Supposedly, AVX offset either doesnt do anything, or is harmful in MacOS, so I wonder if his guide still works if I leave it at 0 instead of 3.

Supposedly, AVX offset either doesnt do anything, or is harmful in MacOS, so I wonder if his guide still works if I leave it at 0 instead of 3.

I have had AVX offset at 0 since day one. No problems here.

I have had AVX offset at 0 since day one. No problems here.
MacOS wont even boot with this settings, unfortunately (im not delidded, i dont know if thats why), so I just reset everything, and set XMP profile on, and manually set the core clocks to 50-50-50-49-49-49 (all on 50 was crashing during geekbenck score). Im getting 30,000 now instead of 27,000

MacOS wont even boot with this settings, unfortunately (im not delidded, i dont know if thats why), so I just reset everything, and set XMP profile on, and manually set the core clocks to 50-50-50-49-49-49 (all on 50 was crashing during geekbenck score). Im getting 30,000 now instead of 27,000

Every CPU is different. As long as your keep full load temps under ~80C, you can try increasing voltage in increments of +0.010 (don't exceed 1.40v) until you reach a stable state. Some CPUs have lower max frequency and some have higher. You will have to experiment with your own CPU to find out what its lmit is.

Back