Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I updated to 11.2.1 from 10.15.7 today. Still early but seems to run fine. Getting 1300/7300 (+/- 50 points) in Geekbench 5 and around 60K in Metal and Open CL . This is a 3 year old build regarding HW, so these numbers are quite satisfactory to me. Especially if I compare to newer systems. I might get marginally better performance going with a Ryzen gen. 3 and an insanely priced latest gen graphics card, but I only use Capture One and FCP (occasionally), so a HW upgrade seems overkill to me. I could probably get a really nice camera or 2-3 lenses for less than an upgrade would cost. Anyway. I just wanted to thank @pastrychef for all the help and troubleshooting over the years. I really appreciate it. THANK YOU!

In my opinion, those are still very respectable benchmark scores.

Interesting - I could directly update from Big Sur 11.1 to 11.2 while on OpenCore 0.6.6
But the upgrade from 11.2 to 11.2.1 failed 3 times in a row.

Interesting - I could directly update from Big Sur 11.1 to 11.2 while on OpenCore 0.6.6
But the upgrade from 11.2 to 11.2.1 failed 3 times in a row.

What failed? What errors are you getting?

Please enable verbose mode and try the update. Then post a photo of wherever it stops.

What failed? What errors are you getting?

Please enable verbose mode and try the update. Then post a photo of wherever it stops.
It doesn't actually stop. The installer does its thing, downloads the update, then reboots back up in 11.2, and the Software Update still says "an update is available..."

I can post a text file of the system.log, if that helps?

It doesn't actually stop. The installer does its thing, downloads the update, then reboots back up in 11.2, and the Software Update still says "an update is available..."

I can post a text file of the system.log, if that helps?

When it reboots, it has to reboot in to the update partition. If you reboot in to your current macOS partition, it will never complete.

When it reboots, it has to reboot in to the update partition. If you reboot in to your current macOS partition, it will never complete.
The update partition doesn't show up when it reboots for the 11.2.1 update, unlike what happened in the 11.1 > 11.2 situation. I just get the "Macintosh HD" "Repair" and "Reset NVRAM" options onscreen.
Is there something I can do to force it?

The update partition doesn't show up when it reboots for the 11.2.1 update, unlike what happened in the 11.1 > 11.2 situation. I just get the "Macintosh HD" "Repair" and "Reset NVRAM" options onscreen.
Is there something I can do to force it?

Just leave it alone and let it set the correct boot volume on its own.

happy-chinese-new-year-ox-zodiac-cute-cow-character-red-costume_62391-323.jpg

Just leave it alone and let it set the correct boot volume on its own.
No luck, it does the same thing. Still at 11.2 ~ I even took the precaution of disconnecting all but my boot drive so as to reduce installer confusion.

Since the upgrade to 11.2 worked fine - and the changes between 11.2 and 11.2.1 seem minor - I may just give this update a pass, and try with the next incremental version of OS.

Just thought I'd mention this issue in case someone else also experiences it.

No luck, it does the same thing. Still at 11.2 ~ I even took the precaution of disconnecting all but my boot drive so as to reduce installer confusion.

Since the upgrade to 11.2 worked fine - and the changes between 11.2 and 11.2.1 seem minor - I may just give this update a pass, and try with the next incremental version of OS.

Just thought I'd mention this issue in case someone else also experiences it.

Doesn't make sense.

How many times does your system reboot? Do you ever see the update progress bar under Apple logo?

Back