Contribute
Register

partition for windows 7 and lion os x, im stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a single MBR disk, you need Chameleon or Chimera to boot Osx. If you install it on the disk, windows will no longer boot.

Then, it would be better and easier to have a hybrid MBR (GPT scheme with MBR partition) in order to dual boot OSX and Windows 7.

Firstly,

thanks to everyone for providing help and solutions. I now have Windows 7 and Lion installed on my probook 4530s.

I decided to start from scratch, and partitioned the 500GB drive into three partitions
1: FAT to install Win 7
2: Mac OS Extended to Install Lion
3: FAT to later format as NTFS for large files between OS's

Install of windows went well, and then I used unibeast to install 10.8 on the second partition. After restart, I installed HP Probook Installer 5.1b1 and then installed Chimera 1.11.1

Restarting my computer without the usb, it auto boots into Win 7.

The problem I'm trying to solve now is how to get it to show Chimera - I can only boot into Lion using the USB.

Have I done something wrong installing Chimera?

I've tried some workarounds to make my Lion partition the active one from Windows.

My question is, how do I make Chimera show on boot? At the moment it just default loads into Win 7

thanks

Firstly,

thanks to everyone for providing help and solutions. I now have Windows 7 and Lion installed on my probook 4530s.

I decided to start from scratch, and partitioned the 500GB drive into three partitions
1: FAT to install Win 7
2: Mac OS Extended to Install Lion
3: FAT to later format as NTFS for large files between OS's

Install of windows went well, and then I used unibeast to install 10.8 on the second partition. After restart, I installed HP Probook Installer 5.1b1 and then installed Chimera 1.11.1

Restarting my computer without the usb, it auto boots into Win 7.

The problem I'm trying to solve now is how to get it to show Chimera - I can only boot into Lion using the USB.

Have I done something wrong installing Chimera?

I've tried some workarounds to make my Lion partition the active one from Windows.

My question is, how do I make Chimera show on boot? At the moment it just default loads into Win 7

thanks

Do you see Chimera at all? That is, do you see Chimera default to Win7 and then boot into it, or do you only see the Windows boot loader and no Chimera first.

If you see Chimera -- hit any key and you'll get a selection of what to boot.

If you see only Win7 boot loader and no Chimera, then you probably have a 4k/AF (Advanced Format) hard disk. Chimera's install script does not work properly on these drives. See this to fix: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

I feel like I'm getting closer to the solution.

Ok, 4k was an issue as I checked the manufacturer of the HDD. I applied the workaround suggested, and it successfully rebooted into Lion. However, there was no Chimera screen and now every restart I boot into Lion - can't access Win 7 anymore (not even through startup disk on Lion).

Any further suggestions on how to get Chimera showing?

I feel like I'm getting closer to the solution.

Ok, 4k was an issue as I checked the manufacturer of the HDD. I applied the workaround suggested, and it successfully rebooted into Lion. However, there was no Chimera screen and now every restart I boot into Lion - can't access Win 7 anymore (not even through startup disk on Lion).

Any further suggestions on how to get Chimera showing?

If your Win7 partition is not showing up, that sounds like a damaged hybrid MBR. You should use gptsync (under Linux) to repair it.

Also sounds like Chimera install is damaged. Or it is related to the damaged MBR problem above. It is there, as that is the only way to boot Lion, but it is not showing its GUI. I would try to re-install Chimera after you check that the hybrid MBR is ok.

If your Win7 partition is not showing up, that sounds like a damaged hybrid MBR. You should use gptsync (under Linux) to repair it.

Also sounds like Chimera install is damaged. Or it is related to the damaged MBR problem above. It is there, as that is the only way to boot Lion, but it is not showing its GUI. I would try to re-install Chimera after you check that the hybrid MBR is ok.

Here's my partition map, and if I understand correctly the problem is that my first partition (200mb) is not MBR - it is GPTD. Is that right ?

Partitions.jpg

So to fix this I need to use a tool such as gptsync to repair this first partition.

I have been able to switch between windows and lion by pressing F10 just after startup and get text options to select which partition I want to boot into, but would prefer to have a nice bootloader.

thanks once more for your patient responses. I'm slowly learning.

Here's my partition map, and if I understand correctly the problem is that my first partition (200mb) is not MBR - it is GPTD. Is that right ?

View attachment 33058

So to fix this I need to use a tool such as gptsync to repair this first partition.

I have been able to switch between windows and lion by pressing F10 just after startup and get text options to select which partition I want to boot into, but would prefer to have a nice bootloader.

thanks once more for your patient responses. I'm slowly learning.

I can't really tell from that whether there is a problem with hybrid MBR. That is a screen shot of the MBR partition table in Windows, so it is showing only the MBR side. To know for sure you need to look at both the MBR and GPT tables (that's pretty much what gptsync does). There is some information on my blog (see signature) on how to install and run gptsync.

But I'm not certain that is necessary. The only way you get hybrid MBR out of sync with GPT is if you use an MBR partition editor (such as the one in Windows) to edit the partition table. Generally you don't want to use such programs... Better to not edit the partition table once setup at all, or to make sure you always edit on GPT side and then sync using gptsync to re-create the MBR side. That said...

I don't know of any BIOS F10 option that allows choice of partition, so I think what you are seeing is text mode Chimera. I've never actually seen this interface before, so I can't be sure, but I have spent a fair bit of time studying the source code of Chimera, so I am aware of a text mode being an alternative to the GUI that most of us use...

I would try re-installing Chimera... maybe it will fix the GUI part of Chimera. If it doesn't then I'd look more at some issue with hybrid MBR and gptsync... (because a problem there may prevent the GUI part of Chimera getting installed or showing up correctly).

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

It turns out that I thought I was being clever by installing Chimera version 1.11.1, but didn't bother to install 1.11.0 from HP Probook Installer 5.1b1. Hence why I was experiencing no UI, and text only of Chimera !

A big thanks to everyone who chipped in, especially Rehabman. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

It turns out that I thought I was being clever by installing Chimera version 1.11.1, but didn't bother to install 1.11.0 from HP Probook Installer 5.1b1. Hence why I was experiencing no UI, and text only of Chimera !

A big thanks to everyone who chipped in, especially Rehabman. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Super!

Since you want to install Mac OS X, you are going to have to re-install Windows 7 anyway. This is because Lion requires the disk to be partitioned with GPT partitioning. So, just boot from your Lion/Unibeast stick, and re-partition your drive the way you like. Create two partitions of the size you want in Disk Utility, one Mac OS X Journaled, then other MS-DOS. The easiest way from there is to install Windows first, then Lion. You will have to format that MS-DOS partition to NTFS when in the Windows installer. After getting Windows installed, install Lion, then run the Probook installer to make your Lion partition bootable. Since your HDD is rather large, it is likely a 4k drive, so you will want to do a search on how to install Chimera on that drive.

RehabMan, I think some of the Probooks do not come with a Windows install disk so all we have is a disk image which was created on an MBR disk. The windows repair disk will not allow you to restore on a different partition i.e. in this case a newly created MS-DOS partition on a GUID partition table. It will reformat the drive back to MBR and you won't be able to install Lion. The question really is a windows one "how can we restore the previous windows image into the newly created GUID MS-DOS partition". I know my old Norton Ghost could probably back up the windows partition then use the Lion/Unibeast stick to repartition, install Lion then restore the Ghost image to the new partition. Is there a neater/tidier way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back