Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been spending some time with OSX 10.7.3, and I must say.... this might be the worst OS I have ever used.

Aside from sluggishness, unusual UX decisions, a strange 'bug' that seems to make it when I drag stuff it tries to execute programs....

..aside from all that, the completely removed Rosetta support has greatly borked much of my software.

Is there a... more or less painless way to Downgrade to Snowleaopard, or is a clean reinstall the only option?

Has anyone experimented with this before? I'm just reaching out for some feedback on the issue. I did some searching but didn't find other threads on the matter. Thanks. :)

I used the same mobo and IIRC the same graphics card for a FCP workstation and it works perfectly, I am going to guess that there is something amiss with the installation, such as a conflicting kext or corrupted file somewhere. If you think about it for a second, your criticism of Lion is inconsistent with the general consensus, which might indicate your install has an unresolved issue.

Yes, Rosetta is gone, but that was disclosed at the beginning, it you are still running a lot of legacy software (PPC) you will need to install Snow Leopard either in place of or in addition to Lion.

There is no direct downgrade path, you will need to get a Snow Leopard disk and install either over your existing OS or create a new partition to accommodate it (if you decide to try to get things working in Lion).

the_Simian said:
I've been spending some time with OSX 10.7.3, and I must say.... this might be the worst OS I have ever used.

Aside from sluggishness, unusual UX decisions, a strange 'bug' that seems to make it when I drag stuff it tries to execute programs....

..aside from all that, the completely removed Rosetta support has greatly borked much of my software.

Is there a... more or less painless way to Downgrade to Snowleaopard, or is a clean reinstall the only option?

Has anyone experimented with this before? I'm just reaching out for some feedback on the issue. I did some searching but didn't find other threads on the matter. Thanks. :)
I find 10.7.2 to be as fast as 10.6.8. For anyone following this thread, the recommendation that can't be make often enough is to clone your working systems as you move forward or simply for safety and recovery time.
Do a clean install of Snow Leopard and stop at 10.6.8, if you use programs requiring Rosetta. :wave:

If you think about it for a second, your criticism of Lion is inconsistent with the general consensus, which might indicate your install has an unresolved issue.

Actually my cricism is not at all inconsistent witht he general consensus

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20081987-1/snow-leopard-vs-lion-performance-head-to-head/

If you read the post here, theres a direct comparison where snow leopard beats lion more often than not in sheer speed for image processing. In some performance tests, such as Cinebench, snow leopard is 4x faster. In addition theres multiple posts on the internet where peope point out possible issue sin memory management, such as :

http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/20464780085/something-is-deeply-broken-in-os-x-memory-management

As for the UX decisions, apple has been generously criticized.

http://gizmodo.com/5819418/mac-os-x-lion-this-is-not-the-future-we-were-hoping-for

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Mac-OS-X-Lion/3640-18513_4-12367232.html

but that is all opinion right? You may like mission control and backwards scroll bars for al lI know. To me? It all feels clunky. Really clunky. i think the gestures system is what is making me miserable, most of all.

It looks like I need to do a complete re install to Snow leopard, which I don't really mind. - But wanted to ask the community if there was an easier way. Well? seems like not.

Thansk fro your responses.

For what it is worth though I got 10.7.3 working on my current build

the_Simian said:
If you think about it for a second, your criticism of Lion is inconsistent with the general consensus, which might indicate your install has an unresolved issue.

Actually my cricism is not at all inconsistent witht he general consensus

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20081987-1/snow-leopard-vs-lion-performance-head-to-head/

If you read the post here, theres a direct comparison where snow leopard beats lion more often than not in sheer speed for image processing. In some performance tests, such as Cinebench, snow leopard is 4x faster. In addition theres multiple posts on the internet where peope point out possible issue sin memory management, such as :

http://workstuff.tumblr.com/post/20464780085/something-is-deeply-broken-in-os-x-memory-management

As for the UX decisions, apple has been generously criticized.

http://gizmodo.com/5819418/mac-os-x-lion-this-is-not-the-future-we-were-hoping-for

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Mac-OS-X-Lion/3640-18513_4-12367232.html

but that is all opinion right? You may like mission control and backwards scroll bars for al lI know. To me? It all feels clunky. Really clunky. i think the gestures system is what is making me miserable, most of all.

It looks like I need to do a complete re install to Snow leopard, which I don't really mind. - But wanted to ask the community if there was an easier way. Well? seems like not.

Thansk fro your responses.

It's entirely inconsistent. Posting a few articles, and then misinterpreting them for your own opinion does not make your opinion the the majority, nor does it make it accurate.

The first article you post actually shows the two operating systems neck and neck, with Lion on top of some of the benchmarks. Also, the Cinebench performance was not 4x greater on SL, I'm not sure where you got that from. For the tests that SL was ahead, it was by a few seconds on a particular task and on software that was written for SL, not Lion. Nice. :rolleyes:

Stating that Lion is sluggish indicates that the whole OS would be stuttery and slow, which is absolutely not the case. It would have been more apt to say "Lion is a few seconds slower performing this one task that I like to do."

And with regard to the UX, of course that is opinion, and I find it hilarious that one of the articles you posted spouting their opinion is a famed Apple hater, ever since they stole a prototype phone, and then were blacklisted by Apple. Man this just gets better.

On top of all of that, you (and Gizmodo) are complaining about Mission Control, LaunchPad and reverse scrolling. First of all, you don't have to use LaunchPad. I've never used it, never intend to use it, and I've forgotten it's even there. Reverse scrolling can be changed in System Preferences. Easy. As far as Mission Control goes, it's honestly not my favorite, but I've gotten used to it and I don't feel that I'm missing out much. I used Spaces A LOT in SL, and it took a little adjustment to get used to Mission Control, but now that I have, I like it just fine. Add "Show All Application Windows" to a hot corner, and you have your normal Expose and the Spaces aspect is still there as well.

And as far as your gestures goes, install an app called MagicPrefs and have much more control than the OS ever gave you.

If you want to go to SL fine, but don't try to twist reality for the rest of us in the meantime.

the_Simian said:
Just for fun, I went back through some of my Cinebench 11.5 tests.
On 10.6.7 - OpenGL - 38.57 fps, CPU - 5.11 - CPU i5-2500K - 16MB Mem.
On 10.6.8 - OpenGL - 38.88 fps, CPU - 5.12 - CPU i5-2500K - 16MB Mem.
On 10.7.2 - OpenGL - 43.67 fps, CPU - 5.09 - CPU i5-2500K - 16MB Mem.
I would like to see a computer running those tests at 4x those numbers (Maybe the Hackintosh braindeadmac just posted.), not they are good or bad, just what my tests ran.
Your links are mostly opinion with no actual subjective test.
Just my opinion, but I like some of the features of LION. Scrollng is one I like, and I don't like others, but if I need Rosetta, I use 10.6.8. I believe that was a much discussed issue far before the release of LION. :wave:

My Lion is just as stable as my previous Leopard and Snow Leopard. (and I'm using a system that was originally installed from the OSX DVD 10.6.3?)

Lack of Rosetta gave me some grief the first few days as I find out which apps don't work anymore, but I've found replacements for those. It's not a show-stopper.

If you're having problems with sluggishness, my bet is something wrong with your setup... maybe incompatible kext or something.

Flying fast here.
GeekBench=16703
CineBench=63.5fps, CB CPU score=9.06pts

Perhaps I am having some Kexts problems then, that is a possibility. There has been some issues with sleeping, and some issued with my triple monitor on boot. I'm not sure these are responsible for my issues with the interface.

I never intended to make a flame post or somesuch. Pardon me if I offended anyone. If you're curious, ti is my opinion the OSX7.x is a step in the right direction for most users, laptops- mobile devices, etc. For a hardcore workstation, I am not sure if its a step in the direction I'd want to see. Especially a workstation with lots of eclectic, and even homebrew plugins, etc. Hard to quantify, but it just doesn't *feel* as smooth as the previous version. Could be the software I'm running also.

So I'm willing to concede wholeheartedly, that its my gear, my software etc. etc.

As for the cinebench thing, my mistake, you're right, SL is only marginally faster.

Rather than assuming my slightly negative experience isn't unique, maybe I should run some benchmarks or somesuch. As far as I can tell - its more or less all working (minus the sleep thing in which it mysteriously reboots sometime at sleep.). what is the most efficient way to systematically test every component that you all like to use? Geekbench? xbench?

Check your hard disk... a failing hard drive can give lots of beachballs and general sluggishness. (happened to an original iMac I have). I diagnosed the problem when I booted off a USB drive and all sluggishness/beachballs disappeared.

Thanks.. I am using a brand new Vertex 3, and I did verify/repair the disk in the Os, and seems to be , according to the Os, its all fine. Maybe I should run as many performance tests as I can stand, and start narrowing down possible issues. Looks like I am the only one experience any negativity for the latest OS version here.

Diagnosing and fixing a problem might even be preferable to downgrading, though I must admit I will miss some of my old plugins, due to lack of Rosetta support. (Cakewalk Rapture, Boss GT Pro Editor, etc)

Again, for anyone who reads sorry if my OP came off as remotely inflammatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back