Contribute
Register

Overheating problem, pelase help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP dv7 3085dx
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM / 1.6 GHz (Mobile Intel HM55 Express)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M - 1024.0 MB (1600 x 900 HD+)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, I got osx installed on my HP DV7 3085DX, this laptop is widely known for it's overheating issues, but, I never got these temps using Windows 7, even when I played gpu/cpu intensive games (Left 4 Dead, for example).

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 8.15.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-16 at 8.16.04 PM.png

Is there anything I can do to lower these temps a bit?

Thanks in advance to you all.
S.

EDIT:
Now that I'm thinking I've read something about a NullCPUPowerManagement, could it be the cpu's are getting more power than needed, and being "overclocked"? Because every time the laptop is processing something the temps go red in no time. Maybe there is something to avoid this, besides the temps rarely go normal.

Hi guys, I got osx installed on my HP DV7 3085DX, this laptop is widely known for it's overheating issues, but, I never got these temps using Windows 7, even when I played gpu/cpu intensive games (Left 4 Dead, for example).

View attachment 83552View attachment 83553

Is there anything I can do to lower these temps a bit?

Thanks in advance to you all.
S.

Did you implement power management (speedstep) correctly?

Did you implement power management (speedstep) correctly?

I'm sure I haven't done that, I'll take a look into it right now and share my results with the community.

Thanks again, RehabMan!

EDIT:
So I've looked into it as I said, and I noticed one thing while I was installing some crap on my Windows virtual machine, the HWMonitor app shows the frequencies changing, I believe all cpus should run on "x12" which gives a total of 1.6 GHz, but sometimes when the laptop is performing intensive tasks that multiplier changes to "x13" (I haven't seen it changing to a larger multiplier) and at that frequency each core has 1.73GHz, hence -- IMHO -- the overheating.

Apparently the C-States implies idle status, while the P-States implies real work, I have black (good) temps from HWMonitor when the laptop is idle, so I guess the EnableCxState won't do much.

While I was playing with /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist I've discover the HWMonitor app doesn't get any readings from "Thermal Zone 1".

Things I've changed in o.c.B.plist:
- GeneratePStates = Yes.
- GenerateCStates = Yes.
- EnableC3State = Yes.
- busratio = 12.

And I've tried several combinations of the previous boot flags. The laptop boots without any issue, but I'd like to lower the temp a bit, 90 (C) / 194 (F) seems to be too high.

Any idea, suggestion will be much appreciated!

I'm sure I haven't done that, I'll take a look into it right now and share my results with the community.

Thanks again, RehabMan!

EDIT:
So I've looked into it as I said, and I noticed one thing while I was installing some crap on my Windows virtual machine, the HWMonitor app shows the frequencies changing, I believe all cpus should run on "x12" which gives a total of 1.6 GHz, but sometimes when the laptop is performing intensive tasks that multiplier changes to "x13" (I haven't seen it changing to a larger multiplier) and at that frequency each core has 1.73GHz, hence -- IMHO -- the overheating.

Apparently the C-States implies idle status, while the P-States implies real work, I have black (good) temps from HWMonitor when the laptop is idle, so I guess the EnableCxState won't do much.

While I was playing with /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist I've discover the HWMonitor app doesn't get any readings from "Thermal Zone 1".

Things I've changed in o.c.B.plist:
- GeneratePStates = Yes.
- GenerateCStates = Yes.
- EnableC3State = Yes.
- busratio = 12.

And I've tried several combinations of the previous boot flags. The laptop boots without any issue, but I'd like to lower the temp a bit, 90 (C) / 194 (F) seems to be too high.

Any idea, suggestion will be much appreciated!

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Hi RehabMan, I've followed the steps provided in your link, I double clicked the generated file and it was indeed open with the IORegistryExplorer.

I've attached the file.

Thanks again for your help!
S.

Attachments

• Esteban’s MacBook Pro.zip
    430.4 KB · Views: 142
CPU PM looks ok.

Just to clarify, I've added C, P and C3 states to my boot.plist, but since I didn't see much of an improvement I've decided to take them out, the file I've attached was without these three flags, do I need to use C-States and/or P-States? How about CxState?

If it looks okay to you I won't add those boot flags to the boot.plist. What would you recommend? I guess I could try using those flags for a bit and see what happens, actually, I'm not quite sure what C2, C3 or C4State do. (I just tested because I've fount this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general/17307-generatecstates-generatepstates.html#post216142)

You might look into seeing whether you have GPU PM setup correctly. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

The GPU is not overheating at all, could it be the problem?, right now it's sitting on 67 C / 153 F, though the GPU fan is not being read, honestly I'm gonna check if it has a GPU fan or not, because I couldn't say for sure.

Regards,
S.

EDIT: I've researched a bit more, and read carefully the link you've provided and this might be the issue:

1. !st Generation Core i processors Nehalem/Westmere (i.e., Core i7-875K)
1a. use native ssdt
1b. SysDefs: imac11,x, macbookpro6,x, macpro5,1 (macpro5,1: remove S/L/E/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to avoid KP on restart)

My current system definition is "MacBookPro8,1" (Set by MultiBeast), should I change this using MultiBeast by selecting only MacBookPro6,1?

Just to clarify, I've added C, P and C3 states to my boot.plist, but since I didn't see much of an improvement I've decided to take them out, the file I've attached was without these three flags, do I need to use C-States and/or P-States? How about CxState?

If it looks okay to you I won't add those boot flags to the boot.plist. What would you recommend? I guess I could try using those flags for a bit and see what happens, actually, I'm not quite sure what C2, C3 or C4State do. (I just tested because I've fount this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general/17307-generatecstates-generatepstates.html#post216142)

The GPU is not overheating at all, could it be the problem?, right now it's sitting on 67 C / 153 F, though the GPU fan is not being read, honestly I'm gonna check if it has a GPU fan or not, because I couldn't say for sure.

Regards,
S.

EDIT: I've researched a bit more, and read carefully the link you've provided and this might be the issue:

My current system definition is "MacBookPro8,1" (Set by MultiBeast), should I change this using MultiBeast by selecting only MacBookPro6,1?

I'm not really familiar with CPUs prior to Sandy Bridge. I suggest you experiment.

So far I have two possible smbios to test out:
  • Made with MultiBeast selecting MacBookPro6,1.
  • Made with Chameleon Wizard selecting MacBookPro6,1.

While I was on Chameleon Wizard I've found there is no smbios specified in boot.plist, do I need to enforce the use of "/extra/smbios.plist"? will it default to smbios.plist if it's there?

Thanks!

So far I have two possible smbios to test out:
  • Made with MultiBeast selecting MacBookPro6,1.
  • Made with Chameleon Wizard selecting MacBookPro6,1.

While I was on Chameleon Wizard I've found there is no smbios specified in boot.plist, do I need to enforce the use of "/extra/smbios.plist"? will it default to smbios.plist if it's there?

Thanks!

Default is /Extra/smbios.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back