Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palit GeForce 460GTX SE here. I'm experiencing the same issues as everybody else. It's a real bummer, but I'm glad it's not something I messed up. ;)

No problems at all with Windows 7.

I've been using 460 768 MB nvidia reference for a couple of weeks, and no freezes so far. Don't know if that could be the problem, since most of the people are using cards that are built on different PCBs and so on.

Don't have the 1 GB version anymore to try that, but i'll try to get it back from my fellow reviewer to try it.

Having the computer freeze at random times is just annoying. If nothing happens soon (new nvidia drivers or something) I'm switching to Ati. Native drivers are way more reliable than waiting for nvidia to fix their mess.

x64 said:
Having the computer freeze at random times is just annoying. If nothing happens soon (new nvidia drivers or something) I'm switching to Ati. Native drivers are way more reliable than waiting for nvidia to fix their mess.

YES, :thumbup: .

log7 said:
x64 said:

I'm with ya (sadly).

gts 450 here. i have it fully working on snow leopard with the pciroot fix and tony's nvidia drivers but i also get the random system freeze. why isn't nvidia releasing new drivers for this issue? id hate to run out and buy a different card. it runs fine in my windows 7 install.

any work arounds or solutions?

JoshNYC said:
log7 said:
x64 said:

I'm with ya (sadly).

I'm switching to Radeon 5770. No freeze any time. :p

KnoGo said:
I'm switching to Radeon 5770. No freeze any time. :p
About the various Radeon cards, with the new native drivers I should get the same stability/functionality no matter if I choose a 5770/5870/6870 right?

The 6870 is rather tempting...

bombaaa
Post subject: Re: OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Noob

System: GA-x48-dq6
CPU: intel c2d e8400
Graphics: gainward nvidia gts450glh 1gb

Well,

I got not a real solution, but kind of a "work-around". If you download VLC and start a video in an endless-loop, freezes and crashes will stop. At least they do on my computer.

Give it a try and let me hear how it works four you

sincerly,
bombaaa

for those who dont want to buy a new card. Already wrote that kind of solution/workaround.

(sry 4 copy+paste - dont want to repeat that often)

bombaaa said:
bombaaa
Post subject: Re: OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Noob

System: GA-x48-dq6
CPU: intel c2d e8400
Graphics: gainward nvidia gts450glh 1gb

Well,

I got not a real solution, but kind of a "work-around". If you download VLC and start a video in an endless-loop, freezes and crashes will stop. At least they do on my computer.

Give it a try and let me hear how it works four you

sincerly,
bombaaa

for those who dont want to buy a new card. Already wrote that kind of solution/workaround.

(sry 4 copy+paste - dont want to repeat that often)
I prefer to have my computer sleep after being idle for 10 minutes and I assume an endlessly playing VLC would keep it running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back