Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this tuturial: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16179
I'm trying the above tut and is working for me. I'm free of freezes and KP for 1h15m.

The other tuturials/fixes didn't last more than 30~40 min.

I'll report if I got any freeze or KP.

See ya

PS: I've disabled the screensaver and the screen sleep.

Update: Its been about 3 hours and still no freeze or KP. New record for me!

EDIT: Forget it, Freezed and than KP after 3h20m.

Hello. Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia. I deleted AGPM.kext and until 2 days there was no panic. Test please can someone help ... Although this is not the solution ...

KushKrime said:
Unfortunately, replacing it might be the only way to resolve the issue. I had to swap my GTS 450 for an HD 5770 in order to get a rock solid system. o_O

But did you actually got a rock solid system or DVDPlayer and Geekbench are crashing on you? If those 2 programs are crashing, it means that some other are too, like Diablo 2 and StarCraft 2. This is my main concern on switching video boards. The KP issue (for NVidia) is not the only problem we are facing, both for NVidia and ATI.

@ tworems,

Yes, but, I have switched card from GTS450 to HD 6850, and It is rock solid.
About DVD & GeekBench there is solution from "andystubbs" @ Netkas forum,
wich is GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Elodea -, works for me.
Big credit from to "andystubbs", THNX.

But did you actually got a rock solid system or DVDPlayer and Geekbench are crashing on you? If those 2 programs are crashing, it means that some other are too, like Diablo 2 and StarCraft 2. This is my main concern on switching video boards. The KP issue (for NVidia) is not the only problem we are facing, both for NVidia and ATI.

After switching cards I haven't had any problems. Although I must admit after installing the the new ATI kexts from the MBP 10.6.7 update I did have those exact same issues. Which is why i reverted back to the previous kexts and graphicsenabler=yes, and now I'm back to a rock solid system.

possible Fermi Freeze fix with BIOS flash

CALLING ALL GTX 460 USERS. I COME WITH A FIX. (maybe)

I have been experiencing the exact same freezes that we are all so familiar with by now. I bought this graphics card for the same reason that I hate it now, it's idling power states. On Windows it will go from 1450 Mhz to 100 Mhz when switching off a game. I kind of knew that if I took out low power states in the BIOS it would solve my OSX troubles but didn't want to take the risk. However, today I did and I am not getting a kernel panic or freezing.
The way I test is to run Blender, open-source 3D modeling, and make a complex object, hearing the fans ramp up as it changes clock speeds, and then exit and open Safari, of course it would freeze everytime. Just tried it now and no freeze.
I still have 2 power states, just not the rock bottom one that sets clocks speeds around 100 Mhz. I still get identical idle temperatures because of the coolness of the new Fermi chip. I'll edit this with an update if I start to get a KP or freezing. If not I can help those who want to try the BIOS flash.

Update: This didn't work, I'm still getting the freeze, I'll keep trying things out.

Re: possible Fermi Freeze fix with BIOS flash

balmeveryone said:

I have been experiencing the exact same freezes that we are all so familiar with by now. I bought this graphics card for the same reason that I hate it now, it's idling power states. On Windows it will go from 1450 Mhz to 100 Mhz when switching off a game. I kind of knew that if I took out low power states in the BIOS it would solve my OSX troubles but didn't want to take the risk. However, today I did and I am not getting a kernel panic or freezing.
The way I test is to run Blender, open-source 3D modeling, and make a complex object, hearing the fans ramp up as it changes clock speeds, and then exit and open Safari, of course it would freeze everytime. Just tried it now and no freeze.
I still have 2 power states, just not the rock bottom one that sets clocks speeds around 100 Mhz. I still get identical idle temperatures because of the coolness of the new Fermi chip. I'll edit this with an update if I start to get a KP or freezing. If not I can help those who want to try the BIOS flash.

I've been hearing about this BIOS flash now for a while and it completely makes sense that it would be a permanent fix. Waiting for Rominator and netkas to completely iron out a fix that route too. I would gladly be a guinea pig for a BIOS flash as I have an eVGA GTX 460 but I just RMAd it today because it was overheating in Windows lol :lol:

On a good note, from what I read it seems Lion will be bringing support for many GPUs including Fermi :p

On another somewhat good note (or just me making the best of the situation) I'm back on my ASUS EN8400GS Silent. And even though animations are laggy here and there it feels nice to have a fully working card with no KPs.

how do you remove the power state? do you just make the lowest power state equivalent to the next highest?

i've used rather aggressive timings/voltages for the lower state (including 300/300, etc) and haven't been able to fully remove the crashes.

Re: possible Fermi Freeze fix with BIOS flash

balmeveryone said:

I did bios thing, with my GTS450 a month ago. It's reduced KP and freezes, but not solved. Sorry, we have to find another solution. :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back