Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, great link Cagray.

This is one of the links in that Nvidia forum post:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326155

See the attached images I pulled from BetA13's relevant posts.

unbdfenanntl56k.png
latency nvidia driver.png
latency no nvidia drier.png

Attachments

• unbdfenanntl56k.png
    unbdfenanntl56k.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 199
  • latency no nvidia drier.png
    latency no nvidia drier.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 214
  • latency nvidia driver.png
    latency nvidia driver.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 163
illmatic24 said:
Did anyone else notice a slight increase in stability with the new 266.58 release?
Those are windows drivers.

E.g. we cannot install them. At least not on our Hackintosh's

Ya the Mac ones haven't been changed since November 2010. The latest NVIDIA drivers include support for these models only:

GeForce 300M series:
GT 330M, GT 320M

GeForce 200 series:
GTX 285 for MAC

GeForce 100 series:
GT 120

GeForce 9M series:
9400M

GeForce 8 series:
8800 GT

GeForce 8M series:
8800M GS, 8800M GTS

Quadro series:
4000 for Mac

Quadro FX series:
FX 4800 for MAC, FX 5600

CUDA Application Support:
In order to run Mac OS X Applications that leverage the CUDA architecture of the Quadro 4000 for Mac product, users will need to download and install the CUDA 3.2 driver for Mac located here.

Release 256.01.00f03:

This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only, whose owners would like to use the new Quadro 4000 for Mac graphics card.
The NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac requires Mac OS X v10.6.5 to run, however because OS X v10.6.5 does not have native support for the Quadro 4000 for Mac, users must install this driver before installing the hardware.
Please note that if you are running the Quadro FX 4800 for Mac or the GeForce GTX 285, you do not need to upgrade to this driver

tonymacx86 said:
Ya the Mac ones haven't been changed since November 2010. The latest NVIDIA drivers include support for these models only:

GeForce 300M series:
GT 330M, GT 320M

GeForce 200 series:
GTX 285 for MAC

GeForce 100 series:
GT 120

GeForce 9M series:
9400M

GeForce 8 series:
8800 GT

GeForce 8M series:
8800M GS, 8800M GTS

Quadro series:
4000 for Mac

Quadro FX series:
FX 4800 for MAC, FX 5600

CUDA Application Support:
In order to run Mac OS X Applications that leverage the CUDA architecture of the Quadro 4000 for Mac product, users will need to download and install the CUDA 3.2 driver for Mac located here.

Release 256.01.00f03:

This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only, whose owners would like to use the new Quadro 4000 for Mac graphics card.
The NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac requires Mac OS X v10.6.5 to run, however because OS X v10.6.5 does not have native support for the Quadro 4000 for Mac, users must install this driver before installing the hardware.
Please note that if you are running the Quadro FX 4800 for Mac or the GeForce GTX 285, you do not need to upgrade to this driver
I think we've got the face the reality is that we aren't ever going to get dedicated or even working drivers for the majority of the 4xx or 5xx cards.

That is unless apple turn round and suddenly start selling them in their Mac Pro's which isn't going to happen due to the power consumption of the cards.

So whilst we can get limited support ie resolution supported and low benchmark scores,

it's probably that Apple are never going to release dedicated drivers and give full support so we get smooth, freeze free and full performance in benchmarks.

tonymacx86 said:
Agree- it's up to Apple- not NVIDIA to start supporting more cards.
Well it is upto Nvidia because they can write the drivers today if they really wanted it's just;

Nvidia aren't gonna turn round to apple, "Oh here's new drivers for the 4xx cards"

They'll just say the only users with those don't have proper Mac's therefore we aren't interested.

It's half and half Apple won't support them therefore Nvidia's time would be wasted writing them.

I think to move forward we need to sort out the system definitions within multibeast ie. 3,1 etc.

Because as far as I'm aware there are no advantages to using either 4,1 or 5,1 over 3,1 .

Cagray said:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401

Has anyone seen this or tried it. Sorry if someone has already posted about this, I couldn't find anyone who had. They are claiming that an evga power boost might have solved their freezing issue in windows. On the last page of the post he says he has been freeze free for a week. Just didn't know if this would apply for hackintosh fermi users or if it even makes sense as a solution. I just really hate freezing and kp's.

That is a useful link. If the crashes are hardware related, I think that the graphics card drawing too much power from the PCI-E bus is probably the cause.

I'm still not sure this is a hardware problem, though. Has anybody done any long-term testing in an operating system other than OS X to see if we can pin it on bad drivers?

I'm also wondering how many people have 450/460s working crash free in OS X. The lockups on the Windows side seem to affect only a (relatively) small portion of users. In other words, I think knowing how many people are running these cards problem-free would help diagnose the problem: if everyone running OS X is experiencing the lockups, then we can probably chalk it up to bad drivers. I've seen one or two users on this site saying they were crash free, but it's hard to tell if that's just because they're restarting their machine often enough that they don't notice the problem. Maybe I (or someone else) should start a topic asking people to report positive results.

Edit: I meant to mention that I've found some Quadro 4000 for Mac users having problems/incompatibilities:

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=695425
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1079571
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12906321

You shouldn't read too much into this, because who knows what other variables are affecting things (e.g. other hardware). However, I do hope that it inspires nvidia (or apple) to release new drivers.

rtbas said:
You shouldn't read too much into this, because who knows what other variables are affecting things (e.g. other hardware). However, I do hope that it inspires nvidia (or apple) to release new drivers.
Problem is, the most of us don't own reference cards which are assembled in real mac's. Therefore, why should apple and/or nvidia support these cards we use for our hackintosh's? However, mine is not freezing at all and my compi runs the whole day from early morning until late night before i sent him to sleep. So i guess it's also Vendor specific. If there's any way i can help with that, let me know.

karacho said:
rtbas said:
Problem is, the most of us don't own reference cards which are assembled in real mac's. Therefore, why should apple and/or nvidia support these cards we use for our hackintosh's? However, mine is not freezing at all and my compi runs the whole day from early morning until late night before i sent him to sleep. So i guess it's also Vendor specific. If there's any way i can help with that, let me know.

My point was this: if the official cards (i.e. Quadro 4000s in real Macs) are having problems, a driver update might be more likely. Of course, who knows if it will help our issues, but as I said: people shouldn't read too much into it.

Thank you for the input on your system. A question, though: what kind of uptimes do you get if you leave your system on without sleeping?

rtbas said:
karacho said:
rtbas said:

My point was this: if the official cards (i.e. Quadro 4000s in real Macs) are having problems, a driver update might be more likely. Of course, who knows if it will help our issues, but as I said: people shouldn't read too much into it.

The drivers will be updated with the Mac product offerings are updated. Meaning if the Quadro 4000 is updated (even silently) to a GF11x chip, support should arrive in the drivers for the 5xx series and hopefully things would improve for the 4xx series too as they incorporate bug fixes along the way to the GF1xx Quadros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back