Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
mbg032373 said:
So this is starting to appear less and less "random" to me. If I remove all of the "fixes", i.e. no NullCPU, no loop video, no screen saver, the computer will sit and run all day long without problems as long as I'm not doing anything on it. It is only when I start working with it that I get the "random" freezes; however, paying attention to when it actually freezes it has ALWAYS been on a mouse click on a tab.

Over the past day, it has frozen:
- In Time Machine when I clicked on the arrow (tab) to go to the previous day
- I clicked on a tab in System Preferences
- I was surfing http://www.autotrader.com/ and click on a tab to go to the next picture
- I was editing a movie with MetaX and it frozen when I clicked on a tab to edit different information (this happened this morning after my computer was left running for 12 hours overnight without any problems)
- I was playing Starcraft 2 and I click on the Multi-Player tab

It appears at first glance that this is completely random since it is happening in any application at anytime; however, if I leave anyone of these application running and just walk away from the computer, hours later my computer will still be running fine.

I'm not good enough with OS level debugging to try to figure out why it is that clicking on a tab is what is causing the freezes, but I'm pretty sure this isn't "random".

Maybe someone with more smarts then me can use this information to help figure out what is going on.

yes i notice that also. i also notice if the my rig boot up with the Mac default mouse theme (black arrow and spinning beach ball) i never have a freeze no matter what program i run.. ANy time it boot up with a blue arrow and blue beach ball. only than i am totally subject to a crash every time. I have to restart the rig a few time to get it load the mouse icon correctly. not sure but it appear the USB port my be cause a freeze also, not just the drivers for NVidia cards. i have been test this for the pass two day,, no freeze or crash when the mouse icon load properly. not sure why it don't load properly every time ,, this maybe happen to other also just like to share that .

My Cinebench scores have improved to 33.40 fps ONLY when my Mac model is set to MacPro3,1 in smbios.plist. As soon as I set model to MacPro4,1 or anything else, fps drops back down to 3.5.

When model is set to MacPro4,1, disabling Overscan in Display preferences gets my FPS to 16.40. Of course, then I have the obnoxious inch-thick black border around my screen, so that's pointless.

EDIT: Seems that MacPro3,1 basically disable graphics power management, as is evident by no entry for "MacPro3,1" in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext's Info.plist. There is an entry for MacPro4,1, and adding the key Vendor10deDevice0dc4 with some modified values gets me the same increase in performance. Seems I'll just have to play with these values a bit ;)

Using stock ROM from GPU-Z as override in Chameleon does not work for me. Still KP's after a bit. At least now, the KP is always displayed on my screen, which is useful.

boardmember said:
Using stock ROM from GPU-Z as override in Chameleon does not work for me. Still KP's after a bit. At least now, the KP is always displayed on my screen, which is useful.

Same here- using stock rom KPs after a bit. Can anyone give instructions on how to change minimum clock/voltage values in NiBiTor for Fermi Clock, Fermi Voltage screens? ;)

tonymacx86 said:
Same here- using stock rom KPs after a bit. Can anyone give instructions on how to change minimum clock/voltage values in NiBiTor for Fermi Clock, Fermi Voltage screens? ;)

Get Fermi BIOS Editor, it is a bit more straight forward.

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 59
I try from yesterday with the my GTX 460 standard ROM and I haven't success.
I put now the overclocked ROM and cross my fingers...

:silent:

contributing to the KP screenshot gallery :)

system: 10.6.5 64 Bit, vanilla kernel with custom DSDT (no NullCPUPowermanagement etc)
fakesmc: 2.5
mobo: Asus P5Q with modded BIOS
processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00GHz not overclocked
gpu: GigaByte GeForce GTX 460 1GB 0x0e22

extracted Gpu BIOS from Win7 with GPU-Z and loaded from Chameleon.
I ran this system with glxgears in the background for hours, no problem. One minute after I stopped glxgears the KP appeared.

Attachments

• _MG_3048.jpg
    _MG_3048.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 203
txusic said:
How did he managed to make it work flawlessly???

In the comments of that video he says that he keeps a video looping in VLC. You can do that or keep an animated background going and the freezes go away. Not the best solution in the world, but it is the best we have atm for the Fermi cards.

Just another KP pic.

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 188
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back