Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
starbot said:
I have an EVGA GTS 450 SC card that is having them same kernel panics. A little pixel starts on the top left that extends towards the right and then my screen has the message that I need to shutdown the computer.

I currently use MacPro3,1 and enabler=yes. I'm thinking of editing the powermanagement kext with my device ID to see if it'll help fix these crashes. In addition to the crashes, overall performance is more choppy than my previous BFG GTS 250 (loading dashboard, opening folders, scrolling through pages, etc).

I have made the edits on MacPro5,1 for the same card. It did NOT help me. Good luck. Let us know how it goes...

I think the freezing people are experiencing is due to immature nvidia drivers, but we're still testing. We're updating MultiBeast with some new Fermi fixes from the very latest Chameleon RC5 r651- so as soon as that's ready, update Chameleon and continue stability testing. ;)

I have an AVI playing in VLC in the background on repeat (loop). That seems to have let me have 0 freezes today. Give that a try anyone with freezes....

Hilbe said:
I have an AVI playing in VLC in the background on repeat (loop). That seems to have let me have 0 freezes today. Give that a try anyone with freezes....
I was about to suggest this as well. I read from a similar thread on insanelymac about possible Fermi freezing issues that someone had a music video looping in the background to prevent OS X from freezing. He noticed that low CPU/GPU activity, like just web surfing or anything that does not push the GPU hard, is usually when his freezes would occur, although random. So he has VLC, or iTunes playing music video, to lightly push his GPU on his Fermi card constantly.

I've just got VLC looping through a MP3 playlist and it seems to have helped. To early to tell for me though. Only tried it for a day so far. I did have one crash today but that was because I was doing some major OS changes via Multibeast, so that may have caused that one crash.

For reference, see post #1307 by elpibe10 who suggested this workaround.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...aa7c7671be49fd2c98c&showtopic=214219&st=1300#

My setup is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) BIOS FC with DSDT from the database
CPU: Intel Core i7 930
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 460 780MB

My random freezes are happening more often now, yesterday I got like 10 freezes in a couple of hours.. The freezes are even happening when I play games so I doubt it will help to have a video running in the background just to keep the GPU from idle.

I've pretty much tired everything that I could find on this problem and nothing helps..
So lets just hope that Nvidia is coming with an update for this driver that will fix these problems!

PatricF said:
I've pretty much tired everything that I could find on this problem and nothing helps..
So lets just hope that Nvidia is coming with an update for this driver that will fix these problems!

I'm quite sure nVidia wouldn't be bothered with any update to solve the freezing problem because this driver is specifically designed for Quadro 4000 and not for GT 430 to GTX 480 in the first place.

It should be left to some kind soul to help the community with a solution but from what I've seen, people who are technically capable of doing that can't be bothered as their systems seem to be stable.

does this happen to gtx 580? and also, does gtx 580 work in hackintosh?

It actually looks like having a video looping in the background helps :p
My uptime is almost 48 hours without a freeze and before it pretty much froze up at least 4 times a day :)

Thanks for the tip btw!

tonymacx86 said:
I think the freezing people are experiencing is due to immature nvidia drivers, but we're still testing. We're updating MultiBeast with some new Fermi fixes from the very latest Chameleon RC5 r651- so as soon as that's ready, update Chameleon and continue stability testing. ;)

Any update on the new Chameleon RC5 r651 and Multibeast? :)

Hilbe said:
tonymacx86 said:

Any update on the new Chameleon RC5 r651 and Multibeast? :)

No. For me also the Video-loop trick works. (but the horrible Cinebenchperformance still remain)

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    41.5 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back