Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Woke up to Catalina hackintosh not starting or posting. Troubleshooted PSU, motherboard battery, and AIO cooler before determining that one of the 8GB RAM sticks was dead. Removed it and machine posts. Get to OpenCore bootloader and see my OSX Catalina drive, Windows Drive, EFI, and clone drive like always. Windows boots no problem, but OSX is now stuck on apple logo and never shows progress bar.

Got a message saying BIOS was reset. Checked all BIOS settings for Intel processors according to Opencore guide, everything matches as closely as possible. Very confused since my hack has been rock solid every day for the past four years.

Is it as simple as OSX not liking one of the RAM sticks being gone? I unfortunately can't boot -v since I can't get into my drive to enable boot args. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
CPU: Intel i7-6700k
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT

SOLVED: I forgot that my BIOS resetting meant CFG LOCK was back. Here are the steps I took!
  • Plugged my OS drive into a real mac to enable verbose mode
  • Got "Err (0xE) @ GV wake failure" upon booting up, which pointed me to CFG LOCK being enabled again.
  • Booted up, then used modGRUBshell from the bootloader and entered "setup_var 0x4EF 0x00 (so glad I wrote this down for my Z10X UD5 TH board from my initial setup so I didn't have to go through the CFG lock portion of the guide to get the value again).
  • Success! Mac boots up and everything is normal.

Back