Contribute
Register

OSX 10.7 'Lion' Oct 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonymacx86 said:
Vendetta said:
I'm on the fence about USB 3.0. I REALLY want the speed, of course. But, everytime a shift like this takes place, it just means all new peripherals.
'

I'll just buy a USB 3.0 enclosure for loose SATA hard drives. ;) Will be nice to have the added speed for external drives hooked to the hack- although my board has eSATA, I haven't invested in an enclosure yet. Perhaps a new one with both... :)

Haha, yea I hear ya! Extra speed is always great, so I definitely understand there. I guess I was referring mostly to the shift that will inevitably have to take place. Think of all the USB peripherals out there (cameras, HDDs, keyboards, mice, MP3 players, phones, etc. etc.), they will all eventually have to shift to a new connection. Seems daunting, but in reality I know it will take years and years for that to happen, so all the worrying is for not. Bring on the SPEED!!! :D

Vendetta said:
Haha, yea I hear ya! Extra speed is always great, so I definitely understand there. I guess I was referring mostly to the shift that will inevitably have to take place. Think of all the USB peripherals out there (cameras, HDDs, keyboards, mice, MP3 players, phones, etc. etc.), they will all eventually have to shift to a new connection. Seems daunting, but in reality I know it will take years and years for that to happen, so all the worrying is for not. Bring on the SPEED!!! :D

Ya- but all USB 2.0 stuff is forward compatible since it's the same input jack. ;)

I think the big deal in 10.7 is going to be some way to run iPad apps on a Mac.

diver said:

People say that, but how would the touch interface work? How would those look on much higher resolution? Personally I don't think it would work, but what do I know?

Vendetta said:
diver said:

People say that, but how would the touch interface work? How would those look on much higher resolution? Personally I don't think it would work, but what do I know?

Touch interface will have to be done with the mouse or track pad. It's possible from a technical standpoint, although not exactly the same thing from a human interface point of view. I suppose resolution differences are handled by keeping the app in a frame that has the appropriate resolution. Obviously, this is more complicated than Rosetta.

I don't see USB 3.0 on the table as Apple does not have the hardware support for it yet (or so I thought).

diver said:
Vendetta said:
diver said:

Touch interface will have to be done with the mouse or track pad. It's possible from a technical standpoint, although not exactly the same thing from a human interface point of view. I suppose resolution differences are handled by keeping the app in a frame that has the appropriate resolution. Obviously, this is more complicated than Rosetta.

I don't see USB 3.0 on the table as Apple does not have the hardware support for it yet (or so I thought).

That provides a terrible user experience. iPhone and iPad apps work because you can touch the screen. I'd be surprised to see this in 10.7, unless they get clever.

I hope for USB 3.0 and blu-ray support. It would be great to see new macs at the beginning of 2011 that have blu-ray writers or burners. I just really hope my build will work with it. But if anyone can do it, its the community here!

Apple's media event kicks off at 10am PST / 1 pm EST on Wednesday, October 20th. They may talk about 10.7 and a new major feature that will be part of it.

Plus the Mac Airs are due for a refresh very soon.

The bottom line for us is Lion is about 9 months away. Looks like a migration of iPad features "back to the Mac", rather than running iPad apps on the Mac.

OSX App Store..... I only hope thats not going to be the only way to get apps into OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back