Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi is installed in clover.
Yes, but it installs it to the wrong place /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 and you want it in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.

I simply made a copy of it to my desk top, and then put it in the proper folder.

I found that booting with Above 4G Encoding set to enable, and that gets me farther, but the system then hangs on whatever happens after [ PCI configuration end, bridges 16, devices 21 ]

Puzzling.

Yes, but it installs it to the wrong place /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 and you want it in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.

I simply made a copy of it to my desk top, and then put it in the proper folder.

I found that booting with Above 4G Encoding set to enable, and that gets me farther, but the system then hangs on whatever happens after [ PCI configuration end, bridges 16, devices 21 ]

Puzzling.

When you boot with UEFI you have to choice UEFI drive in Bios. Most people probably know this but some may not, so forgive me if you already doing this. Your motherboard should see the drive as 2 boot drives. Example a SSD may show twice in boot menu one time with EFI label that would need to be marked as first boot disk the efi version.

UPDATE 2: After a lot of random qwerks I got everything except wifi and sleep working I think.

UPDATE:
Now I've got past this by installing Clover and adding the NVMGeneric.kext to the EFI/CLOVER/10.11/ folder and by adding the NvmExpressDxe064.efi to the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI. Now I get a new issue where the bootloader just hangs at Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport.

I have the following and keep getting garbled text / "Still waiting for root device" after I install to my 950 PRO and do the post install of clover. If I don't do any post install I can boot from USB to my 950 PRO no problems. Could one of the other kexts be causing this issue. I tried copying my USB EFI/CLOVER folder to the EFI/CLOVER on the boot drive but with no luck.

ASUS Z97-Deluxe/USB 3.1
i7 4790k
950 PRO NVMe 512GB in the M.2 spot on the board
32GB Corsair Vengence

When you boot with UEFI you have to choice UEFI drive in Bios. Most people probably know this but some may not, so forgive me if you already doing this. Your motherboard should see the drive as 2 boot drives. Example a SSD may show twice in boot menu one time with EFI label that would need to be marked as first boot disk the efi version.

Correct, I am selecting "UEFI : Samsung sm951" in the bios boot menu instead of "Samsung sm951".

UPDATE: Now I've got past this by installing Clover and adding the NVMGeneric.kext to the EFI/CLOVER/10.11/ folder and by adding the NvmExpressDxe064.efi to the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI. Now I get a new issue where the bootloader just hangs at Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport.

I have the following and keep getting garbled text / "Still waiting for root device" after I install to my EVO 950 and do the post install of clover. If I don't do any post install I can boot from USB to my EVO 950 no problems. Could one of the other kexts be causing this issue. I tried copying my USB EFI/CLOVER folder to the EFI/CLOVER on the boot drive but with no luck.

ASUS Z97-Deluxe/USB 3.1
i7 4790k
EVO 950 NVMe 512GB in the M.2 spot on the board
32GB Corsair Vengence
I don't believe there is a such thing as 950 EVO. The 850 EVO is not NVMe drive. Do you mean 950 Pro?

Yea, I meant the 950 PRO. And are you guys having any sleep issues. I've gotten almost everything working except that. It enters sleep mode but fails to come out of it. This is what I get.

2016-01-07 02:14:25 -0500 Failure Drivers Failure during wake due to GFX0(AppleIntelFramebuffer AppleIntelFramebuffer AppleIntelFramebuffer),RP04(AppleAHCI),RP05(AppleAHCI):
2016-01-07 02:19:30 -0500 Failure Drivers Failure during wake due to GFX0(),RP04(AppleAHCI),RP05(AppleAHCI):

I'm booting off my Samsung 950 Pro, although it seems nice and zippy I don't get the numbers that I'm seeing here. Is there something that I need to do or didn't do? I've added the nvmegeneric.kext in my clover EFI kext 10.10 folder and that's it.

I originally installed 10.10.5 on a samsung 840 then CCC to the 950. Also, are you guys enabling TRIM on these drives?

x99e-itx/ac
gtx 970
samsung 950 pro

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    735.5 KB · Views: 388
"Trim isn't part of the ATA command set and does not apply to NVMe"

thanks for confirming! also, any ideas on my read/write speeds?

thanks for confirming! also, any ideas on my read/write speeds?

Well... at the first sight I would have said you are using an x2 slot, but apparently your mobo has a an x4 slot, so that's not the case. However, seq speeds look like they're essentially halved, so something must be very wrong indeed. Even if it's a 256GB version, read speeds should have been much higher.

What I can think of right now:
- go through bios settings again, maybe you have some options there to configure the M.2 slot speed in terms of assigned lanes or some other setting
- open an issue with AsRock, maybe they know something
- I know people are using this with 10.10 as well, but, "by the book", the driver seems to only support 10.11 (http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-faq.html). I don't know, when odd things happen, I guess you should consider every option...

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back