Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the problem is rather the lack of support for non-Apple nvme drives - their own brand have been bootable on MacPro's since quite a while, no?
The Apple drives are not NVMe drives but a variation (long store) that cause these drives not to work in M.2 slots. Apple's latest MacBook SSD blades need a PCIe adapter card to work on our hacks.

Heyhey guys,
so finally I’ve my built but have serious issues and really need help. First of all my built:

• ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1
• INTEL i7-5960x
• 64GB RAM
• ASUS GTX750X Ti
• ASUS Thunderbolt EXII Dual Card
• SAMSUNG SM950 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD (for boot)

I've successfully installed Yosemite but after I boot into the System I get system freeze (with installed M.2) after a short time.:banghead:
I want to CCC from a normal HDD to finally boot from a NVMe. Was able too Copy 58MB but that was it :lol:.
I put the NVMeGeneric.kext into EFI/Clover/kexts and was also able to format the drive with disk utility.
Any Ideas what could be wrong here? I'm really getting crazy :crazy:
Thanks for your help!

Thanks man, that's what I thought earlier. But as I am a bit stubborn, I did some investigations and finally found a possible fix. It has to do with a device fix in the DSDT. I want to fine tune it before sharing as there are still some stuffs to fix like; the NVME drive doesn't mount properly after wake (randomly), or sometimes take about 10-15 seconds to mount again and same various things.

Oh, I've been thinking of doing the same, but haven't gotten anywhere, in part because I have no working DSDT to compare mine to. Would you be willing to share (even by pm) what you've got so far? Maybe I can help. The sleep issue might be related to X99 I think, I'm getting the exact same "prevented by H000" error on an Asrock x99e-itx.

Just wanted to point out that the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVME SSD (256 GB Version) is working perfectly with my skylake i7 configuration (see signature!).

Oh please please please would you share your DSDT, or even better full output from DarwinDumper? Or anyone else who's got this working with sleep? That would be a big help in figuring out what's wrong for some of us.

spionski,

Since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By doing completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

spionski,

Since we're not telepathic, we need to know your system components. See the tonymacx86 Forum Rules & Policies on signature block components.

Additionally, please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By doing completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

Ah, okay. I wasn't asking for advice regarding my build in general, so the rest of the components didn't seem relevant. I've added it now though, sorry about that.

Oh, I've been thinking of doing the same, but haven't gotten anywhere, in part because I have no working DSDT to compare mine to. Would you be willing to share (even by pm) what you've got so far? Maybe I can help. The sleep issue might be related to X99 I think, I'm getting the exact same "prevented by H000" error on an Asrock x99e-itx.

Were you able to achieve sleep before starting to use the MacVidCards nvme.kext?

In any way you should seriously start thinking about creating your own DSDT. It will be very helpful but on top of that, the fix for getting the NVME going to sleep has not at all to do with modifying the provided MacVidCards nvme.kext and although it will still be required present it will rather be a DSDT fix.

Time is really scarce, I will try to post the fix by the end of this week and in the mean time start fine tuning your own DSDT as it takes a lot of time and will be required.

I have installed NVMeGeneric.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and with/without NvmExpressDxe-64.efi to drivers64UEFI. When I login to El Capitan 10.11.4 my system immediately reboots. Also, clover does not detect my Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive. This issue is 100% consistent.

My System:
GA-Z170X-SOC Force + i7-6700k
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (windows 10)
Samsung 940 Pro SATA (El Capitan 10.11.4)
Clover

Last edited:
I have installed NVMeGeneric.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and with/without NvmExpressDxe-64.efi to drivers64UEFI. When I login to El Capitan 10.11.4 my system immediately reboots. Also, clover does not detect my Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drive. This issue is 100% consistent.

1. Your mobo should already have NVMe support in its firmware, so you only need NvmExpressDxe-64.efi in legacy drivers64 — not drivers64UEFI
2. What is the last thing that appears on the screen before the reboot? Or is it so immediate that as soon as you select El Cap it reboots?
3. Without NVMeGeneric, can you boot into El Cap on your 940 Pro?
4. Is CSM enabled?

I have a similar setup and I can boot directly from Clover installed on the 950 Pro NVMe ESP into El Cap on the same drive. I'm guessing it comes down to UEFI settings and/or Clover configuration, but more information would be helpful.

I am able to boot El Capitan without NVMeGeneric.kext just fine. With NVMEGeneric.kext computer reboots as soon as I see the desktop after login. I deleted NvmExpressDxe-64.efi from drivers64UEFI and left it inside drivers64. Still Same issue. Clover scans for a really long time. Clover will detect my windows on the 950 Pro M.2, but it will not boot.

ga-z170x-soc force (BIOS Version F6)
i7-6700k
Corsair RM850 Power Supply
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB DDR4 2400
4 Antennas 802.11AC Wifi BCM94360CD Wireless w/Bluetooth
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 11221-00-20G (dual)
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 - Windows 10 Pro
Samsung 840 Pro Sata - El Capitan 10.11.4
Seagate ST400DM000 - Storage Drive (NTFS)
Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB 3.0 Internal Card Reader

BIOS Features:
Full Screen Logo Show - Disabled
Fast Boot - Disabled
Windows 8/10 Features - Other
Storage Boot Option - UEFI Only

Peripherals:
Initial Display Output - PCIe 1 Slot
Ambient LED - Off
XHCI Hand-off - Enabled
Serial Port 1 - Disabled

Chipset:
Internal Graphics - Disabled

Power Management:
Platform Power Management - Disabled
AC Back - Memory
Soft-off by PWR-BTTN - Delay 4 Sec.
Power Loading - Disabled

Clover 3504
drivers64UEFI - FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus.efi, NTFS.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
ACPI/patched/SSDT.aml
kexts/10.11/FakeSMC.kext (6.18.1394)
kexts/10.11/IntelMausiEthernet.kext (2.1.0d3)
kexts/10.11/realtekALC.kext (2.1 toleda)
kexts/10.11/USBInjectAll.kext (0.5.11)

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Hello guys,

I have a crazy problem with my nvme driver and my asus x99 ws-e 3.1

So I download the nvmeGeneric.kext and here is the resume of the situation:
I have 2 drives with 2 different installation of yosemite

1)yosemite install with clover:

I put the nvmeGeneric.kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10
the system freezes when I try to open the session.

2)yosemite install with unibeast/multibeast(no clover as bootloader)

I put the nvmeGeneric.kext in S/L/E
the finder freezes if I try to open it, the rest is ok

BUT if I open a invited user session, everything works perfectly! which I found really weird!

Any update on this? I'm facing the exact same problem with my 950 Pro, also using x99 ws-e 3.1 and 5960x
The drive is detected but whenever I click on it my system freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back