Contribute
Register

OS X accessing periodically DVD making noise, but no media inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi supacon,
it is exactly the same problem I met ...
The only way to fix that seems to be a firmware-upgrade of the drive. My DVD-drive does not spin up any more. And how said - it was really annoying. But putting in a DVD if a firmaware-upgrade does not help, is also a very good idea and a cheap solution.

Best regards, kai

Might be worth a shot, but I have two completely different types of drives exhibiting this behavior. Interestingly, the DVD drive acts up more often than the Blu-Ray, but they both spin up periodically. It seems like there's some kind of process or application trying to access the drives, but I haven't nailed down what that might be. It seems like it is MacOS itself. For now I just unplugged the cable from my modular power supply to the optical drives since I rarely use them these days anyways.

This problem could be a combination of OS X and the hardware. Perhaps the hardware has to reinitialize after some time, but this is of course speculation. My suspect was spotlight, but switching it off didn´t change anything. So I was really fed up with the problem.
It has definitively to do with OS X, because this problem already started with Snow Leopard as I can remember and Windows (XP, 7, 7-64bit, 8) running on the same PC was never affecting the drives like that. And motherboards you can exclude because I used different motherboards in the past. But the first contact with another guy with the same problem I met in the Apple helpdesk board. He reported the same, but of course he had original Apple equipment, so it is still a really strange problem. Perhaps Apple should inform their own users like: "... with update 10.8.x these DVDs .... are no more running correctly" or "with software upgrade 10.8.x please change also the DVD that you can buy in our shops ...", that would be really funny. But in reality they already do so, please think about that apple usb modem is no more supported ... (how to do a FAX now that is needed by lawyers ?) Perhaps we have to build a HCL-list also for DVDs and Blurays, could be an idea, see these posts:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/74332-blu-ray-drive.html#post547593

Best regards

Wait, you're saying that Mountain Lion does this as some side-effect of trying to put the hard drives to sleep? Not sure that makes sense, but I guess it's worth a shot.
I do actually like putting my hard drives to sleep, though, because I have two HDDs in my Mac, one of which I almost never use, so it keeps the machine a little quieter when the drive is sleeping.

try combination that settings i dont know :D, for me this settings works :)

Hi meli00, hi supacon,
thank you for your answers and replies to solve the problem ...

Yes, indeed the harddisks were sent not to sleep, but when you think about the following description, what do you think ?

- there is a blu ray writer (Teac) inside (with the accessing problem)
- there is a LG drive inside (with the accessing problem)
- in the moment disconnecting the LG drive the Teac drive is absolutely calm
- for me, the problem is solved ...

But thank you for your ideas and taking interest of the problem, I appreciated your ideas a lot THANK YOU for that !

Best regards, Kai

you can put this on Solved :cool:

edit your Topic Title, i think :D hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back