Contribute
Register

Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC 885/889a on Lion - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I tried reinstalling the patched AppleHDA.kext from MultiBeast, fixing permissions and rebuilding caches (both with MultiBeast as well as manually), and I could never get audio to work with the patched HDAs. Using ALC8xxHDA.kext along with rollback was a failure as well.

But I did have sound support under snow leopard, so I did some extensive testing over the past several hours I was able to finally get audio under Lion with this board. The key is to use the ALC8xxHDA.kext provided with MultiBeast along with AppleHDA from Snow Leopard version 10.6.0. Any newer version of AppleHDA will cause there to be no audio with this motherboard. I don't know why... must be something magic in that 10.6.0 that was dropped in later versions.

:cry:

Hi! I have a GA-EG45M-DS2H and I have been struggling to get this thing to work... I tried the stuff in the OP but I keep having just the greyed out icon and no output devices. I'm on 10.7.4 now and I'm kinda out of ideas... I'd preferably avoid using Voodoo-stuff. Any ideas?

Attachments

• djflix.zip
    71.7 KB · Views: 101
DJFliX said:
Hi! I have a GA-EG45M-DS2H and I have been struggling to get this thing to work... I tried the stuff in the OP but I keep having just the greyed out icon and no output devices. I'm on 10.7.4 now and I'm kinda out of ideas... I'd preferably avoid using Voodoo-stuff. Any ideas?
I can't use IOReg.txt. Try IORegistryExplorer/File/Save a Copy As..., open file tom verify and attach. You dsdt appears correct. System Information should not say 889, it should say 885. If you have an audio enabler installed, remove it.

toleda said:
DJFliX said:
I can't use IOReg.txt. Try IORegistryExplorer/File/Save a Copy As..., open file tom verify and attach. You dsdt appears correct. System Information should not say 889, it should say 885. If you have an audio enabler installed, remove it.
i removed all enables and stuff, it does say 885 now, but still no audio :(.

Attachments

• \'s Mac Pro.zip
    416 KB · Views: 93
DJFliX said:
Something very strange is happening. AppleHDA is not loading properly. There is a phantom codec in AppleHDA.kext. It seems the AppleHDA wasn't installed properly. What are you using to install kexts? Suggest a fresh install of AppleHDA.kext, fix permissions and rebuild cache, restart in verbose mode. Open IOReg, if see HDEF/PinConfigurations as <> or not there, fix permissions and rebuild cache again, restart in verbose mode. Make a copy of IOReg and reply with results.

toleda said:
Something very strange is happening. AppleHDA is not loading properly. There is a phantom codec in AppleHDA.kext. It seems the AppleHDA wasn't installed properly. What are you using to install kexts? Suggest a fresh install of AppleHDA.kext, fix permissions and rebuild cache, restart in verbose mode. Open IOReg, if see HDEF/PinConfigurations as <> or not there, fix permissions and rebuild cache again, restart in verbose mode. Make a copy of IOReg and reply with results.

Sounds very similar to my symptoms. Is this the same "phantom" codec you saw in my ioreg?

Looks like DJFliX is having the same issue I did, with an extra audio codec, as well as AppleHDA.kext not loading correctly. We both have EG45M boards.

DJFliX, try using the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.0 along with Multibeast ALC8xxHDA.kext. The rollback AppleHDA in multibeast is 10.6.2, and doesn't work with EG45M (in my experience, anyway). It must be 10.6.0 from original snow leopard. This got the audio working for me.

toleda said:
DJFliX said:
In this case I'm using multibeast Lion Edition. And I did remember to check the 'Utilities' box to rebuild the cache xD. But I guess I'll have to get that stock AppleHDA.next from the original install Image? Or do you suggest (re)installing a patched or roll back AppleHDA.kext?

I tried the 10.6 kext from my Snow Leopard Retail DVD, but it does not mention which version it actually is. The P/N is MC223Z/A. If this is not 10.6.0, would you mind PM'ing me the file? I got a few assertion failures after using this kext and System Information does show various in- and outputs. The audio ID is still 885. In IOReg HDEF/PinConfigurations is there.

I also got the AppleHDA.kext from my Lion Installer Image from the store, but that didn't help/change. I will switch back to the Lion one from the store and get you an IOReg. If I misunderstood which AppleHDA to take (from the OP or from the Lion Image) please correct me xD

EDIT:
I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what has changed, but it seems that the 10.6 AppleHDA + ALCxxx did work after 3 reboots... Thank you so much! After a full back-up I am willing to try other things if someone has any ideas how to fix this with more recent kexts. Or is there absolutely no gain in using it with the kext in the OP?

I have an EP45-UD3P with an ALC 885. I have always had sound working after installing the AppleHDA rollback in multibeast, but I've wanted to get 5.1 audio working. Confirming I have an 885:

Screen Shot 2012-05-22 at 1.27.41 AM by gnychis, on Flickr

First, I tried the non-DSDT modification route by using Multibeast and selecting "Non-DSDT HDAEnabler" with "ALC885/889a", with the "Patched AppleHDA" for "ALC885/889a", and of course the System Utilities. However, this didn't give me 6 channels in the MIDI application, only showing I had stereo audio still.

So then what I did was modify my DSDT with the fix you have listed. Here is my DSDT for you to verify: http://pastebin.com/ru47LXH3 ... I compiled and installed the DSDT and then went back to MultiBeast and only selected "Non-DSDT HDAEnabler" with "ALC885/889a" with System Utilities, and then rebooted.

However, I still can't seem to get 5.1 Audio. Here are some screenshots of my audio settings and MIDI application:

Screen Shot 2012-05-22 at 1.13.24 AM by gnychis, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2012-05-22 at 1.13.58 AM by gnychis, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2012-05-22 at 1.13.42 AM by gnychis, on Flickr

Do you have any suggestions? I do not have any audio related enablers and I have a 64-bit kernel on 10.7.3:
Code:
gnychis@Q9550:~$ cd /System/Library/Extensions/
gnychis@Q9550:/System/Library/Extensions$ ls -l | grep -i enabler
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jun 18  2011 ApplePlatformEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5  2011 hp_Inkjet9_io_enabler.kext
gnychis@Q9550:/System/Library/Extensions$ uname -a
Darwin Q9550.local 11.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.3.0: Thu Jan 12 18:47:41 PST 2012; root:xnu-1699.24.23~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

IOReg is attached after performing all steps.

Attachments

• ioreg_gnychis.zip
    677.6 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back