Radeon R360
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

At first I would like to thank you for your possible comments and/or help with my build.

So I would like to build a computer with this use in mind:

_ 50% of the time on Mac for internet, lightroom and normal work ...

_ 30% of the time for some virtualizations tests with vmware, ovirt...

_ 20% of the time to play on Windows at games like Borderlands 2.

Regarding the boot, my idea is to use one hd for each use-case, and to choose the correct hd in the boot menu at the start. Is this possible ? Do you suggest another option ?

For the componentes, after reading your guides and some others posts on the forum, this is what I have in mind:

_ Intel i7 3770 (no k version, I would like to use the vt-d option)
_ Ga-Q77M-D2H
_ 16GB 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C10 kit
_ Hackintosh hd -> Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
_ Graphic card Nvidia 660gtx

Now I have some questions left:

_ It is possible to use this hackintosh with vt-d option enabled in the Bios ?
_ Since this Nvidia card is not listed in your Buying Guide, it is possible to use the HD4000 on the hackintosh and the Nvidia with windows ?

Thanks again for your help.

Regarding the boot, my idea is to use one hd for each use-case, and to choose the correct hd in the boot menu at the start. Is this possible ? Do you suggest another option ?
You could set up three physical drives (whether SSDs or HDDs) if your budget allows, or you could use multiple partitions on one physical drive (HDD). Search for 'dual boot' on this website and you should be able to find some guides.

Thanks for the help, regarding the hd my idea is to begin buying one ssd and to use some older hdd for the windows and virtualizations tests. I will read more about multibooting options.

Thanks for the help, regarding the hd my idea is to begin buying one ssd and to use some older hdd for the windows and virtualizations tests. I will read more about multibooting options.
Luckily multibooting is pretty straightforward since Chimera should boot OSX or Windows installed on any partition or drive.

When installing Windows, for best results always remove your installed OSX drive from power first, and have the Windows drive the only one in the system. Otherwise, Windows installers can often overwrite the Chimera bootloader and cause the system to only boot into Windows. (Fairly easily fixed by reinstalling Chimera, but an unnecessary added step if one simply disconnects the drive first.)

Once Windows is installed, you can then reconnect the OSX drive (make sure it's default boot in BIOS) and Chimera should be able to select either OS for boot.

You can also boot multiple instances of OSX- it's always a good practice to clone your working OSX install to another partition or drive as a test install for updates and also a backup. (Cabon Copy Cloner-full features free for 30 days is excellent, and also SuperDuper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back