Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Opening JPEG files in Preview or Quick Look crashes or fails to load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I didn't find much about this issue on the internet (and this information would have saved me a lot of reimaging due to my dual boot setup), but there are two fixes to this problem that appears to be new with 10.14 Mojave. With this issue, any JPEG will not open in Preview or Quick Look. The solutions are as follows:

1. Enable the integrated graphics chip on your motherboard, but set initial display to your graphics card. From what I understand, it uses the internal GPU or needs it enabled to do hardware decoding, so this should alleviate this issue.
  2. Install the NoVPAJpeg Lilu plugin to disable the hardware JPEG decoding feature of the library that renders JPEGs in macOS.
NOTE: If you are dual booting with Windows, enable the integrated graphics card may cause Windows to boot with a black screen when booted through Clover. To fix this, boot into Windows using the Windows Boot Manager boot menu entry instead of Clover, install the Intel HD Graphics driver, and then disable the Intel HD Graphics in Device Manager. This will allow you to boot Windows through Clover.

Hopefully this post helps people that can't find anything about this issue.

In my opinion, the solution posted by @justein230 is better. His is a "fix" and doesn't require any hacking of macOS system files.

The solution you linked to is more of a "workaround". It disables hardware decoding.

Ok, thanks for that. I will have a play at the weekend.

I list this as an option to fix as well if anyone wants to leave their iGPUs disabled.

In my opinion, the solution posted by @justein230 is better. His is a "fix" and doesn't require any hacking of macOS system files.

The solution you linked to is more of a "workaround". It disables hardware decoding.

@pastrychef Another one of the reasons I posted this was for my note at the bottom, as I had to figure out that step on my own and it involved multiple wipes and reloads... Hopefully my bit about dual-booting helps others that face a similar problem! Still don't know why Clover can't boot Windows with the iGPU enabled properly, but my system is (relatively) stable now and I am happy.

I list this as an option to fix as well if anyone wants to leave their iGPUs disabled.

@pastrychef Another one of the reasons I posted this was for my note at the bottom, as I had to figure out that step on my own and it involved multiple wipes and reloads... Hopefully my bit about dual-booting helps others that face a similar problem! Still don't know why Clover can't boot Windows with the iGPU enabled properly, but my system is (relatively) stable now and I am happy.

I don't know why you are unable to boot Windows from Clover. When you did your Windows install, was it a UEFI installation?

I don't know why you are unable to boot Windows from Clover. When you did your Windows install, was it a UEFI installation?
Been installing Windows as UEFI for two years now. Once I boot into Windows and disable the HD 4600 in Device Manager it works just fine. If it is enabled I have to boot using the Windows Boot Manager entry in my BIOS (Gigabyte).

Been installing Windows as UEFI for two years now. Once I boot into Windows and disable the HD 4600 in Device Manager it works just fine. If it is enabled I have to boot using the Windows Boot Manager entry in my BIOS (Gigabyte).

Weird... I have IGPU enabled and can boot from BIOS boot menu or Clover boot menu in to Windows without issue.

Maybe they fixed it in newer rev's of Gigabyte boards, I know that the Haswell (Z/H87/97) boards have a few weird things with the UEFI firmware since it was the second year that they had generally switched from BIOS to UEFI.

How do you install the actual NoVPAJpeg Lilu plugin ? I cant find it in clover, is there a download link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back