Contribute
Register

OpenCore USB installer arrives at "forbidden" circle (with "dirty" log text superimposed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the uploads.
Based on the ACPI dump, I'm not sure that SSDT-UNC does anything useful (but it shouldn't hurt), and you may need SSDT-IMEI after all because there's no IMEI of any name in the DSDT.

But thanks to @Feartech, we have identified an issue with USB mapping—and there is already an issue with your previous Clover install, although it does not prevent it from working.
The port limit removal patch is Kernel>Quirks>XhciPortLimit in OpenCore. This must be "true" for initial setting.
For older systems, this quirk normally comes on top of USBInjectAll.kext—though @Feartech suggested here to disable/remove USBInjectAll and use only the patch/quirk.
With X79, you may also need XHCI-unsupported.kext. (Add in Kext folder, then snapshot in ProperTree to update config.plist…)

A further complication may be that the port limit quirk has issues with Big Sur 11.3 and later. Which version is your installer? Do you have installers for older versions you could try instead (Big Sur 11.2, Catalina, Sierra, whatever)?
All that is needed is a sucessful boot with any OS X version to then create a USB map (Hackintool or CorpNewt's USBmap). Once the USBmap is made, XhcoPortLimit may (should) be disabled, USBInjectAll removed and the system updated to Big Sur 11.3+.
My most challenging build first unexpectedly succeeded with Big Sur although I was targeting Mojave, and it took me quite some time to find the right settings to make Mojave and Catalina work as well. Do not give up and keep trying various combinations.

Thanks for the uploads.
Based on the ACPI dump, I'm not sure that SSDT-UNC does anything useful (but it shouldn't hurt), and you may need SSDT-IMEI after all because there's no IMEI of any name in the DSDT.

But thanks to @Feartech, we have identified an issue with USB mapping—and there is already an issue with your previous Clover install, although it does not prevent it from working.
The port limit removal patch is Kernel>Quirks>XhciPortLimit in OpenCore. This must be "true" for initial setting.
For older systems, this quirk normally comes on top of USBInjectAll.kext—though @Feartech suggested here to disable/remove USBInjectAll and use only the patch/quirk.
With X79, you may also need XHCI-unsupported.kext. (Add in Kext folder, then snapshot in ProperTree to update config.plist…)

A further complication may be that the port limit quirk has issues with Big Sur 11.3 and later. Which version is your installer? Do you have installers for older versions you could try instead (Big Sur 11.2, Catalina, Sierra, whatever)?
All that is needed is a sucessful boot with any OS X version to then create a USB map (Hackintool or CorpNewt's USBmap). Once the USBmap is made, XhcoPortLimit may (should) be disabled, USBInjectAll removed and the system updated to Big Sur 11.3+.
My most challenging build first unexpectedly succeeded with Big Sur although I was targeting Mojave, and it took me quite some time to find the right settings to make Mojave and Catalina work as well. Do not give up and keep trying various combinations.
I'd be happy to go down to Catalina, if it'll be easier. I've been at Sierra since 2017, afraid to touch the thing (since it worked). I decided to jump all the way to Big Sur just because it's so difficult with Hackintoshes, but I understand that jumping from Catalina to Big Sur isn't that difficult with OpenCore. (My Big Sur installer is 16.7.02, according to its Finder Info.)

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble integrating everyone's advice. I just

1) put the "SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml" file provided by Feartech into my ACPI folder (and added it to my config.plist file).

2) turned XhciPortLimit off

You're saying I should additionally

3) Remove USBInjectAll.kext (and remove its listing from config.plist)

4) Add XHCI-unsupported.kext (ad add its listing to config.plist)

Have I got it right?

I'd be happy to go down to Catalina, if it'll be easier. I've been at Sierra since 2017, afraid to touch the thing (since it worked). I decided to jump all the way to Big Sur just because it's so difficult with Hackintoshes, but I understand that jumping from Catalina to Big Sur isn't that difficult with OpenCore. (My Big Sur installer is 16.7.02, according to its Finder Info.)

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble integrating everyone's advice. I just

1) put the "SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml" file provided by Feartech into my ACPI folder (and added it to my config.plist file).

2) turned XhciPortLimit off

You're saying I should additionally

3) Remove USBInjectAll.kext (and remove its listing from config.plist)

4) Add XHCI-unsupported.kext (ad add its listing to config.plist)

Have I got it right?
USBInjectAll.kext is needed as i mentioned above

USBInjectAll.kext is needed as i mentioned above
Yes, I saw. But then etorix said
which is why I'm double-checking.

the aml file will not work without USBInjectAll.kext.......
Then I'll leave it in. Again, my previous post was just an attempt to resolve conflicting advice. Apparently I misunderstood what etorix wrote, or he misunderstood what you did with the aml file.

Again, I apologize if I'm having trouble understanding. I'm just trying to follow directions — thank you both again for your help.

Try one OR the other. Or one, and then the other.

XhciPortLimit off + USBInjectAll.kext + SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml (which forcefully defines USB ports)

OR

XhciPortLimit on + USBInjectAll.kext + XHCI-unsupported.kext (which binds Apple's drivers to unusual device-ids)

(I might also have misunderstood @Feartch's post above.)

Last edited:
Try one OR the other. Or one, and then the other.

XhciPortLimit off + USBInjectAll.kext + SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml (which tries to be a "catch-all" USB map)

OR

XhciPortLimit on + USBInjectAll.kext + XHCI-unsupported.kext

(I might also have misunderstood @Feartch's post above.)

Thank you — I now understand.

Like anyone else, I'm most comfortable in tech situations that I understand. I would rather understand what's happening than simply follow directions, because it's easy to get confused if you're just obeying steps without grasping what you're doing. I'm beginning to get a sense of what's wrong here, and how these techniques will fix it.

Like anyone else, I'm most comfortable in tech situations that I understand. I would rather understand what's happening than simply follow directions, because it's easy to get confused if you're just obeying steps without grasping what you're doing. I'm beginning to get a sense of what's wrong here, and how these techniques will fix it.
I certainly agree. It's also confusing for me, and "remote debugging" without having the actual hardware at hand is not easy.
Unfortunately we will only fully understand the situation once you succeed in booting OS X (by any method) and we can see what your USB controllers are and how they are are named. :banghead:

I certainly agree. It's also confusing for me, and "remote debugging" without having the actual hardware at hand is not easy.
Unfortunately we will only fully understand the situation once you succeed in booting OS X (by any method) and we can see what your USB controllers are and how they are are named. :banghead:
"Plan A" — XhciPortLimit off + USBInjectAll.kext + SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml — failed on every single USB port.

One port gave a slightly different result: the scrolling log actually mentioned all the USB ports (although it was hard to read given the speed of the scroll). Nevertheless it failed.

Now about to try "Plan B" — XhciPortLimit on + USBInjectAll.kext + XHCI-unsupported.kext.

I'll save the Plan A EFI.

The next step is to get a hold of the full Catalina installer (presumably the final version) and start over, with both Plan A and Plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back