Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Opencore GA-Z97M-D3H Screen Freeze after waking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Edhawk, I was using those SATA kext. But, based the OpenCore-Install-Guide, I'm going to try the change it to rule out any read/write issues
macOS Big Sur Note: CtlnaAHCIPort will need to be used instead due to numerous controllers being dropped from the binary itself
Within the info.plist, it seems to list the intel 9series

Thanks for the offer of changing the acpi-address. Once you mentioned it, I took a look it fixed it. Wonder if this will help?

I'm leaning away from the idea of SSDT-XWAK.aml because it seems most people requiring that usually has kernel panics. This shows up as a GPU reset crash.

There's no other signs of sleep/wake/shutdown issues so for now I'm ruling out SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml and SSDT-Fix-USB-Shutdown.aml

However, based on some of VioletDragon's stuff, it might be SSDT-LPC.aml and SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml. I'm going to take a look at that tomorrow if this doesn't work

Last edited:
What version of the bios are you using? I ask because in my system (same motherboard), using the latest bios was the only thing that solved random memory corruption on long sleeps. This was way back in Sierra.

The BIOS is F8, the last one Gigabyte issued for this board.

I think I got it solved. After about 6 rounds of 5-6hrs sleep/wake cycles, as well as a GPU stress test, it hasn't crashed. The solution was the fixing the correct path in the RadeonDinit ssdt (Thanks @Edhawk for pointing that out) as well as the fixing Applelpc. I didn't use VioletDragon's SSDT-LPC.aml, I had alrready created one for the board. With the fixed RadeonDinit ssdt, alone, without the Applelpc, it still crashed, but without the garbled pixelated display.

Last edited:
Ok, mark the thread as solved if you are happy with the solution.

Just a follow up, it looks like with opencore, you don't need the SSDT for the AppleLPC.

DeviceProperties > add Device > delete all existing entries for this device. Then add

Key:"compatible"
Value:"pci8086,9c43" (intel 8 Series LPC Controller) or "pci8086,9cc1" Intel Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller or what ever works for you
Type:"string"

Ok, spoke too soon. It's still crashing. Not as often, but still crashing after long sleep. Since the AppleLPC fix seems to help, I looked into it further. I'm running Big Sur, and it seems to not load correctly.

When I run: kextstat|grep -y applelpc

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
128 0 0xffffff7fa0630000 0x2000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (3.1) 93046EED-ABB9-341D-9905-A353FC939C13 <105 14 6 5 3>

Similar when I run: kextstat | grep -E "AppleSMBusController|AppleSMBusPCI"

Running Catalina right now to see if this is truly the case. Catalina shows the kext are loaded correctly. I'll let it run a few sleep/wake rounds and see.

In the mean time, does anyone know how to correctly implement the AppleLPC fix with Big Sur?

I am glad to find this post as i am using the same board GA-z97m-d3h.
Install with i7-4790K, 16GB-DD3 x 2; RX570-4GB; 10.15.7 on NVME-1TB on the 2nd PCIex 16 slot. Bios version F11 (if I remember correctly).

The wired problems, is when I turn on my power, jumping into clover boot loader, it take ages (like more than 5-10 mins). But once it run into the OS, it is very smooth without problem as I use this EFI for almost 6 month.

I have a 2nd Mac, which runs on Giga-H55M-UD2H on Xeon-3450| 4x4GB| RX550-4GB on 10.14.6 is far more stable than this i7-mac.... But I see too many folks using z97+i7-4790k... so I must have some setting which cause this problem.

If any master can help to take a look at my config.plist ? (it is on clover)
And I heard of OC is more stable, I wonder if I can simply copy the OC-ELF and replace my ELF partition, does it work ?

Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• EFI-clover-z97m-d3h.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 59
I wonder if I can simply copy the OC-ELF and replace my ELF partition, does it work ?

Thank you for your advice.
no, you will have to build your own OpenCore folder, files and config.plist

I wonder if I can simply copy the OC-ELF and replace my ELF partition, does it work ?
I'm assuming you mean EFI and not ELF

In theory, you can swap out the Clover-EFi folder with a properly configured OpenCore-EFI folder. However, your MacOS installation has to be vanilla. If you had modified kext, ACPi tables, SSDT, DSDT, etc outside of the clover-EFI folder, it won't work. It has to be a vanilla install.

For anyone having this screen freeze issue. It's taken a long time to get to this point because after each modification and reboot, it took about 6-8 days and several sleep-wake cycles before the crash appears, but I think I finally figured it out. Turns out the RX580 I have is the "OC Lite" edition! Go figure, I bought three RX580 at the same time, from same vendor, and one turns out to be this Lite edition! Not sure if it applies to all OC Lite edition, but at least for this unit I have, it has issue with HDMI Audio reconnecting when waking up, hence, the screen freeze.

I disabled the HDMI Audio for the RX580 in OpenCore and so far it's been 12 days and no freeze.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back